Advice for Beginners - consider this test from an audio club

ODS123

13 minutes ago, muel said:

The idea that MDF is a structural equivalent to plywood is ludicrous!  This is a different use but you simply don't want this stuff to ever get wet!

Absolutely no argument from me on that.

... I won't be around to verify but I wonder how many MDF constructed speakers constructed in recent years will survive to that age?

My Legacy Focus are 27 years old and still solid. It's not 50, but it's a good start.

57 minutes ago, muel said:

The idea that MDF is a structural equivalent to plywood is ludicrous!  This is a different use but you simply don't want this stuff to ever get wet!

I had a water heater burst a few months ago and thought I was lucky to be home at the time so I could get it turned off right away.  Water was mopped up quickly but within half an hour the MDF underlayment started to swell.  I'll spare you the details but the end result so far is over 40k in repairs and a week spent in a local hotel.  If the underlayment had been decent material the mopping and drying would have been  the end of it.  Luckily, only the house suffered and not much "stuff" was even touched.

I have 2 pairs of Cornwalls that are over 50 years old... I won't be around to verify but I wonder how many MDF constructed speakers constructed in recent years will survive to that age?

Hasn't this been discussed?  Okay, here goes again...

MDF vs Ply water resistance:

Water resistance in a home speaker is of no greater importance to me than water resistance in an Amplifier, CD player, Music Server, or TV.    ..None of these were ever engineered to get wet.  In all of my years owning audio gear I have never had a speaker or a component get wet.   Ditto with respect to drop-resistance.  ..None of my other components are designed to be dropped on their corner, so no need for my speakers to be.   To me, suggesting Ply is superior because of this is to provide a solution that is in search of a problem.

MDF vs Ply longevity:

I have 30 year old MDF speakers that look perfect - no signs of spontaneous disintegration.  Peruse audiogon and you'll see dozens and dozens of MDF speakers over 30-40 years old that have not come apart or been bounced. 

18 minutes ago, ODS123 said:

Sorry about your floors, but we're talking about speakers here.  Water resistance in a home speaker is of no greater importance to me than is water resistance in choosing an Amplifier, CD player, Music Server, or TV.    ..None of these were ever engineered to get wet.  In all of my years, I've never had a speaker get wet, or a component for that matter..   Ditto with respect to drop-resistance.  ..None of my other components are designed to be dropped on their corner, so no need for my speakers to be.   To me, suggesting Ply is superior because of this is to provide a solution that is in search of a problem.

I also have some MDF speakers that I bought in 1986 or so.  Yes, they are still fine since I've been able to protect them from any mishaps so far.  A lot of people sit their speakers on the floor which is usually where the water goes if there is a leak or flood.  I've also lost some equipment many years ago due to a flooded basement and lived through tornado aftermath.   Perhaps I'm just sensitive.  I'm glad you're not worried.  I have a strong basis for being concerned.   I'm mostly sorry I let myself get sucked into this thread again.    

13 minutes ago, wstrickland1 said:

how about toxic off-gassing?

Really?  ..Klipsch Pro Series Speakers should be preferred b/c of toxic off-gassing??  You guys are too much.

Thankfully, my Cornwall III MDF-ed. speakers have excellent manners w/ respect to bodily functions.  ..No discernible off-gassing.  

I wish I could say the same.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deang said:

They need to add that to the list of things covered under warranty. 

Or "Warranty is null and void in the event of nuclear attack."

Some malpractice insurance contracts used to have such a sentence in them.  If your patient drives into town to see you and gets irradiated or destroyed, and would have stayed in his/her country home, but drove into the target area just to see you, too bad, you're not covered.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ODS123 said:

Really?  ..Klipsch Pro Series Speakers should be preferred b/c of toxic off-gassing??  You guys are too much.

Thankfully, my Cornwall III MDF-ed. speakers have excellent manners w/ respect to bodily functions.  ..No discernible off-gassing.  

Hey my LaScala 2's off-gas like a mofo...I think my Palladiums do too. 

What about my RF7's, RC7's, RB 35's, RB61's, RSW 15's, P312w......sheeit I think the only thing I've got that doesn't do it is my old HBR's. I'm screwed over here....

58 minutes ago, wstrickland1 said:

how about toxic off-gassing?

In one state, I would expect the warning label to read "The state of California is aware ..."   As though the state of California could have awareness --- but I have seen that intro on so many product warnings ... even on a wire brush.   That's as bad as "The White House denies ..."

None of my speakers enclosures, and none of my family's speakers have ever undergone spontaneous disintegration, from 1957 to now.

4 hours ago, ODS123 said:

Water resistance in a home speaker is of no greater importance to me than water resistance in an Amplifier, CD player, Music Server, or TV.    ..None of these were ever engineered to get wet.  In all of my years owning audio gear I have never had a speaker or a component get wet.   Ditto with respect to drop-resistance.  ..None of my other components are designed to be dropped on their corner, so no need for my speakers to be.   To me, suggesting Ply is superior because of this is to provide a solution that is in search of a problem.

MDF vs Ply longevity:

I have 30 year old MDF speakers that look perfect - no signs of spontaneous disintegration.  Peruse audiogon and you'll see dozens and dozens of MDF speakers over 30-40 years old that have not come apart or been bounced. 

Your answers keep getting longer and longer and somewhat defensive. That reminds me of a question I have for you.  I was wondering why you used ODS123 for your handle and not MDF123?

2 hours ago, ODS123 said:

Golly OD there you go again. Who brought up Pro speakers this time other than you?

3 hours ago, muel said:

I'm mostly sorry I let myself get sucked into this thread again.

Hey you like Monty Python don't you? This is just as good as "I'm a Lumberjack" and the "Ministry of Silly Walks". Remember to keep it in perspective and enjoy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wstrickland1 said:

but are they MDF???????

I believe one pair from about 1977 was made with what was called "Particle Board," which PWK refused to use because it "can't hold a screw."   They were from Radio Shack, for use with the TV, when broadcast TV stereo first came out.  They are sitting in the garage, intact.  It's conceivable that our Belle Klipsch center channel might have a MDF rear panel, but it is buried (flush mounted) in the wall, so I can't look at it.  Our 1980s Klipsch passive (!) subwoofer is plywood, thougth, as are all of our other speakers, I think.