Advice for Beginners - consider this test from an audio club

ODS123

6 hours ago, Dave A said:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/beware-of-the-cable-claiming-long-burn-in-period

;)

It's funny how only in Audio do companies get away with claims about needing "burn in time"..

Why don't the signal cables in Medical equipment, aircraft, and military equipment need this burn-in time before they function properly? 

Does the imaging in MRI and CT Scan machines improve with hundreds of hours??  Does control of aircraft with fly-by-wire systems improve with time?   No, of course not.

The gullibility in this hobby is absolutely stunning at times. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ODS123 said:

57 minutes ago, Edgar said:

Not at all -- it takes about 200 hours for the connections to oxidize. ;)

Perhaps it is 200 hours of self assured solipsism. I don't get it either how things like Beeswax Impregnated fuses find buyers at $250 a pop "on sale". Audiogon is a source of amusement and apparently where the crazies go to purchase bragging rights.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dave A said:

Perhaps it is 200 hours of self assured solipsism. I don't get it either how things like Beeswax Impregnated fuses find buyers at $250 a pop "on sale". Audiogon is a source of amusement and apparently where the crazies go to purchase bragging rights.

You guys seemed bemused by this which is probably the healthier view to take.  ..Me?  ..I think it's fraud and it hurts our hobby. 

2 hours ago, ODS123 said:

It's funny how only in Audio do companies get away with claims about needing "burn in time"..

Why don't the signal cables in Medical equipment, aircraft, and military equipment need this burn-in time before they function properly? 

Does the imaging in MRI and CT Scan machines improve with hundreds of hours??  Does control of aircraft with fly-by-wire systems improve with time?   No, of course not.

Yet again you are comparing utilitarian objects to something that was designed to create the illusion of live (albeit reproduced) music in your home. Task based equipment vs. equipment designed for the sole purpose of your enjoyment of music. You couldn't possibly find a comparison that was more objective vs. subjective if you tried (maybe  you could).

How does a baseball bat compare to an egg salad sandwich? Why can't I have the bat with mustard and pickles? Why can't I hit a double with the sandwich? It's so confusing.........

Shakey

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Audiogon is a great site to buy lightly used equipment at tremendous discounts, because rich guys drawn to the next new shiny are willing to clear out their living rooms at a significant financial loss.  Awesome place to shop, terrible place to do research.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, kvndoom said:

Audiogon is a great site to buy lightly used equipment at tremendous discounts, because rich guys drawn to the next new shiny are willing to clear out their living rooms at a significant financial loss.  Awesome place to shop, terrible place to do research.

I can believe that.

21 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

Yet again you are comparing utilitarian objects to something that was designed to create the illusion of live (albeit reproduced) music in your home. Task based equipment vs. equipment designed for the sole purpose of your enjoyment of music. You couldn't possibly find a comparison that was more objective vs. subjective if you tried (maybe  you could).

How does a baseball bat compare to an egg salad sandwich? Why can't I have the bat with mustard and pickles? Why can't I hit a double with the sandwich? It's so confusing.........

Shakey

Sorry but that strikes me as pseudo-scientific pablum.  I suggest you try explaining to an electrical engineer how there are differences b/w new and used signal cable that escape measurement but are nonetheless captured by our ears.  

PWK would definitely point to his BS badge, I'm certain of it.

Would any electrical engineer say that they know everything there is to know?  Well, maybe you can find someone like that.

Hundreds of years ago people joked and made fun of the idea that there were little creatures smaller than the naked eye could see.  It wasn't until the invention of the microscope that the existence of microorganisms could be proved.  If I'd lived at the time perhaps I would have laughed too.

I'd suggest we look at things with a tentative eye... or ear.

50 minutes ago, ODS123 said:

Sorry but that strikes me as pseudo-scientific pablum.  I suggest you try explaining to an electrical engineer how there are differences b/w new and used signal cable that escape escape measurement but are nonetheless captured by our ears.  

PWK would definitely point to his BS badge, I'm certain of it.

#3 OP is right and you are wrong. ;)

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, muel said:

Would any electrical engineer say that they know everything there is to know?  Well, maybe you can find someone like that.

Hundreds of years ago people joked and made fun of the idea that there were little creatures smaller than the naked eye could see.  It wasn't until the invention of the microscope that the existence of microorganisms could be proved.  If I'd lived at the time perhaps I would have laughed too.

I'd suggest we look at things with a tentative eye... or ear.

That is true, but scientific understanding is not broadened or deepend by those who eschew any reasonable validity testing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kidd said:

Okay , here 's what we need to do , get 2 pairs of Forte 3s  , one with many hours and the other new and compare the sounds with the A&B  switch 

Blind test 

I'm guessing no one will see/hear  a difference 

That's really absurd. The Forte III was the second most obvious speaker in my lifetime that benefitted from break in. The Von Schweikert VR4 Silver takes number one for that honor.

Shakey

7 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

That's really absurd. The Forte III was the second most obvious speaker in my lifetime that benefitted from break in. The Von Schweikert VR4 Silver takes number one for that honor.

Shakey

Thank you !

Maybe you have read sooooo many times about "break in" , it becomes real for you .

Maybe it will become real for me too , if I read about it  over and over and over , or , maybe there is some truth to it