Advice for Beginners - consider this test from an audio club

ODS123

No issue with any of your points Glen except one:  his AVR, or a multitude of other more affordable units - all provide the features he demands. Based on his position, the MA6600 is a colossal waste of money. He needs to sell it or get the hell out of this thread. 

1 minute ago, ODS123 said:

why the interest in locking down the thread?  ..sheesh.  ..If it no longer holds your interest, then move on to something else.

Because you’re baiting and trolling, and it’s just providing a platform for you to continue on with your nonsense. 

10 minutes ago, glens said:

Well, if he's (O.P.) really only here to troll, I'd say he has demonstrated exemplary skill.  He'll need a winch to lift his stringer.

Trolls can be great fun you just have to not take them seriously. OD is a hoot and I like his fairly predictable responses.

1 hour ago, Deang said:

No issue with any of your points Glen except one:  his AVR, or a multitude of other more affordable units - all provide the features he demands. Based on his position, the 6500 is a colossal waste of money. He needs to sell it or get the hell out of this thread. 

?!  One last time...

Why is it so hard to understand that there is more to appreciate about Mac gear than some faint "house sound".  ..It has wattage meters (which are rare), tone controls, mode switch, input matching and a look and feel that is very rare these days other than, say, a Luxman or Accuphase integrated.  AND it does sound better in the sense that there is ZERO input cross-talk (hearing one source while tuned to another), almost zero hiss at full gain, and it's volume control accuracy is perfect.  All of that AND it was a 25th anniversary gift from my wife.

I don't own a Harley, wave runner, bass boat, shore house, or fancy watch... I drive a VW rather than a BMW..  ..This amp is my one "bling" extravagance.  ..It certainly wasn't purchased to impress my friends b/c precisely NONE of them have any idea what it is.

So why do I need to sell it or get the hell out of this thread (wth!)?

ADDED:  Are you this suspicious of someone who owns a Tag Heuer watch even though it's no better at keeping time than a Seiko?  

13 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

I've been thinking that perhaps he is the latest incarnation of the infamous "Jim Naseum"....and I'm slightly serious.....

I actually wondered about that, but Mark’s command of the English language is exemplary - the OP’s is not. Besides, Mark has moved on, he’s into much more interesting things than audio. Also, Mark’s position is the complete antithesis of the OP’s. 

13 minutes ago, Deang said:

I actually wondered about that, but Mark’s command of the English language is exemplary - the OP’s is not.  Besides, Mark has moved - he’s into much more interesting things than audio. 

Thanks for the update on Mark. I miss conversing with him and have always wondered....Anyway, the writing style is completely different, although I've enjoyed the OP's thread. That's my 2 cents over a few Stella's and listening to Carlos Santana, after a little REM. Cheers to you and @ODS123! :) 

Please.  Don’t shut down the thread until ODS123 does his comparison of the Sony and the Mac.  I really want to see ODS123 say “My McIntosh sounds exactly the same as my Sony reciever”.  

Isn’t it day 389 of ODS123 not damaging his speakers with water or dinging them while moving them up a flight of stairs?

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Tizman said:

Please.  Don’t shut down the thread until ODS123 does his comparison of the Sony and the Mac.  I really want to see ODS123 say “My McIntosh sounds exactly the same as my Sony reciever”.  

Isn’t it day 389 of ODS123 not damaging his speakers with water or dinging them while moving them up a flight of stairs?

That is hilarious! 

4 minutes ago, Tizman said:

Yes!  And thanks for noticing :)   It's Day 389 and miraculously my MDF Cornwall III's are still intact! Thankfully, they haven't succumbed to either a moisture or gravity based calamity.

As for my buying a Sony receiver to compare to my Mac, that will have to wait.  Last night my wife put the kibosh on buying a piece of stereo gear, " just to settle an audio forum spat" while we have a son in his freshman year at Northeastern.  But remember, I've already declared the MA6600 to sound no better than either my AudioSource AMP100 ($130!) or Onkyo TX-NR1030 AVR.

35 minutes ago, ODS123 said:

?!  One last time...

Why is it so hard to understand that there is more to appreciate about Mac gear than some faint "house sound".  ..It has wattage meters (which are rare), tone controls, mode switch, input matching and a look and feel that is very rare these days other than, say, a Luxman or Accuphase integrated.  AND it does sound better in the sense that there is ZERO input cross-talk (hearing one source while tune to another),, almost zero hiss at full gain, and it's volume control accuracy is perfect.  All of that AND it was a 25th anniversary gift from my wife.

I don't own a Harley, wave runner, bass boat, shore house, or fancy watch... I drive a VW rather than a BMW..  ..This amp is my one "bling" extravagance.  ..It certainly wasn't purchased to impress my friends b/c precisely NONE of them have any idea what it is.

So why do I need to sell it or get the out of this thread (wth!)?

The only thing you said that warrants keeping the McIntosh is that it was a gift from your wife - which I’m sure she picked out all on her own without any input from you - who should have told her to not spend so much on something that doesn’t offer you anything more than your AVR. 

5 minutes ago, richieb said:

=== seeing that his Mc6500 was a gift from his wife then off course it has meaning and should be kept. However, if you think that Lux and Accuphase are the only two other brands with the quality of your Mc then you need to get out more — 

It's an MA6600.  And I didn't say no other brands offer the quality, I said few other brands have the features (wattage meters, tone, balance, mode control) AND have the tactile feel of the McIntosh.

Screen Shot 2018-12-14 at 11.27.18 AM.png