Advice for Beginners - consider this test from an audio club

ODS123

6 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

LMAO because that doesn't stop anyone from doing it.  Then they double down when called on it.  When that doesn't work they try to deflect blame for their own lack of intelligence.

Yep, check out the Chorus II thread today in Garage Sale.  That was fun.

23 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

I think this thread is going to cause an increase in sales of Tube Amps, because their owners report such glowing levels of satisfaction.

Shakespeare liked them and was known  to say tu be or not tu be, that is the question.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dave A said:

I want a link. I want to see it for myself. Verification is good.  I would also like your concise definition of linear and remember we can put sentences into Google and see if it is primarily your own words or lifted from someone else. The big problem with the internet today for people who love unsubstantiated claims is we can check.  

Um... It's in the same issue of Stereophile (The latest - Feb., 2019) in which the 1st Watt appears.  I'm looking at the page right now.  Do you want a digital pic?

Pg., 67.  In John Atkinsons review of Ayre's new EX-8 Integrated.  Top of pg. under heading "Listening".  Very first sentence.  "Ayre recommends 100-500 hours of break-in for the EX-8."  

Wow that amplifier must be some incredibly exotic device, no?  ...Even more exotic than all the equipment you see in hospitals??  Do you think MRI machines, CT Scanners, electrocardiographs, surgical robots, etc.. all need 500 hours of use before they work properly?  I mean, don't they also have scads of electronic components that need to "settle"?   .. Sheesh, I sure hope not. 

OK OD help me out here. Where is the article without having to subscribe to the magazine?

6 minutes ago, ODS123 said:

Do you think MRI machines, CT Scanners, electrocardiographs, surgical robots, etc.. all need 500 hours of use before they work properly?  I mean, don't they also have scads of electronic components that need to "settle"?   .. Sheesh, I sure hope not.

Classic case of deflection.

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Don Richard said:

ABX tests for differences, not preferences.

ABX testing: Audio will be played. Press the button, do you hear any difference, or not?

AB testing: Audio will be played. Switch from A to B, which do you prefer?

Didn't Coke do this using their product and Pepsi and we ended up with New Coke?

Classic Coke.

If you can't tell differences between fake Coke or amps, consider yourself lucky, not lacking.

I really wish @Chief bonehead would do a class on how he voices (unvoices is more accurate) whether it be Heritage updates or Professional.  

It involves pink noise  (his own special brand) and about 10 songs, and a whole bunch of other stuff that was mind blowing for us to watch.

You will never listen the same again.

• Klipsch Employees
3 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Didn't Coke do this using their product and Pepsi and we ended up with New Coke?

Classic Coke.

If you can't tell differences between fake Coke or amps, consider yourself lucky, not lacking.

I really wish @Chief bonehead would do a class on how he voices (unvoices is more accurate) whether it be Heritage updates or Professional.  

It involves pink noise  (his own special brand) and about 10 songs, and a whole bunch of other stuff that was mind blowing for us to watch.

You will never listen the same again.

Hmmmmm maybe someday..........

• Like 2

Just now, dwilawyer said:

Opps, we are at page 53, slipped right past me (we were busy selling Museum Edition Khorns).

Should we let it go to 73 pages?

What the heck, let's throw caution to the wind.

This is clearly the second best thread to "right this minute".   It will never die.   Who'd thunkit? All you have to do is say on an audio site that pursuing the best is a waste of time?  Magical. 

7 hours ago, Tizman said:

...there is no such thing as a perfectly linear amplifier.  So, ODS123, what qualifies as “a modern amp that is engineered to be linear”?  At what point does an amp’s non-linear behaviour disqualify it from being “a modern amp that is engineered to be linear”, and how do you quantify this objectively?

Here it is again.    

te·di·ous
/ˈtēdēəs/
adjective
adjective: tedious
  1. too long, slow, or dull: tiresome or monotonous.
    "a tedious ABX test"
    synonyms:

boring, dull, monotonous, repetitive, unrelieved, unvaried, uneventful

Fighting fire with fire.  Sorry All.