Advice for Beginners - consider this test from an audio club

ODS123

• Moderators
5 hours ago, kink56 said:

In my case I heard this upper bass thump and ANY SPL.   If a speaker requires a significant mod to be suitable, then I consider it unsuitable.  I went to a person's house who had K-horns and the same problem was present. Although he did not notice it.  So, I guess it matters what particular things you listen for or notice.     I seldom listen above 80-85 dB. And mostly am in the 70-75 dB range.   I bought the Belles because of the almost universal praises on this forum.   I learned my lesson in that respect. 

Clearly that is all in your head 

• Like 1

I listened to a symphony orchestra last night, and thinking about it now, I agree with many of the comments provided by @robert_kc  and everyone else who say the goal is about finding the right combination of speakers and equipment for your room and listening choices.

The process is almost always easier when you start with a really good set of speakers.

IMG_3499.PNG.e2268b3b45bd9a6e80626f42f3b13db3.PNG

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

I listened to a symphony orchestra last night,

Is that a SPL metre reading from that performance?  If so, do you recall what piece was being performed?  Also, where were you sitting in the hall? 

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 7:02 PM, kink56 said:

In my case I heard this upper bass thump and ANY SPL.   If a speaker requires a significant mod to be suitable, then I consider it unsuitable.  I went to a person's house who had K-horns and the same problem was present. Although he did not notice it.  So, I guess it matters what particular things you listen for or notice.     I seldom listen above 80-85 dB. And mostly am in the 70-75 dB range.   I bought the Belles because of the almost universal praises on this forum.   I learned my lesson in that respect. 

In the case of the khorns, I think that was more of a room issue than a speaker issue. Khorns in my room have the most even and accurate midbass to bass transition I have heard. Now admittedly, my room has good dimensions and is very speaker friendly, but what you describe doesn't sound like klipschorns.

Shakey

• Like 1

22 hours ago, kink56 said:

Yeah I know, object to a Klipsch speaker in any way around here means I have to be out of my mind. 

I'm not bashing you for what you heard, I just think there was a better explanation for it rather than pointing the finger at the speakers.

Shakey

On 1/12/2019 at 8:13 AM, Dave A said:

On day twenty three

What shall we now see

OK OD question for you. Advice given is more money spent on speakers than the rest. Why did you not follow your own advice? Very confusing for people to read one thing and then see you did another with your equipment list.

Been away for weekend, sorry for slow reply.

I think I've covered this, no??   Features, build-quality, feel, aesthetics...., etc.. are all good reasons for spending more.  Better sound is not.

Here's my review of my amp on audioasylum.  (under "hifi heretic")

https://www.audioasylum.com/messages/amp/180899/review-mcintosh-ma6600-integrated-amplifier-ss

I wouldn't change a word if I wrote the review today EXCEPT I would add that the remote absolutely sucks... It has the same feel and build quality as my Verizon top-box remote except it has a rubberized coating which is starting to get sticky and peel.   Considering the build quality of the amp I would have expected much better for the remote.  Thankfully, Mac has promised me a new much nicer remote once they arrive in April.  ..No charge. 

Yeah, I know it can NEVER be the Klipsch speakers' fault.   Again I heard this and others did not notice.  I would think that some people are not noticing, regardless the reason. And if several other people did not notice, then it is fairly reasonable to deduce that there are OTHERS who may even be on this board, who do not notice what I am hearing.   If it is not a problem, then why are there people who build and install braces to address this problem.  I could also deduce there ARE others who notice. 

Let me put it this way, I would rather have NHT Zero Ones over another set of Belles ever again. That is how much that resonance annoyed me.  Fortes with the same exact equipment and placed in the same spot does not have this resonance nearly as much. But Klipcsh speakers do have a reputation for being "boxy". Some people notice, others don't.  Some people may notice and don't care.   This apologetic attitude on this board reminds me of a religion. 

14 minutes ago, kink56 said:

Yeah, I know it can NEVER be the Klipsch speakers' fault.   Again I heard this and others did not notice.  I would think that some people are not noticing, regardless the reason. And if several other people did not notice, then it is fairly reasonable to deduce that there are OTHERS who may even be on this board, who do not notice what I am hearing.   If it is not a problem, then why are there people who build and install braces to address this problem.  I could also deduce there ARE others who notice. 

Let me put it this way, I would rather have NHT Zero Ones over another set of Belles ever again. That is how much that resonance annoyed me.  Fortes with the same exact equipment and placed in the same spot does not have this resonance nearly as much. But Klipcsh speakers do have a reputation for being "boxy". Some people notice, others don't.  Some people may notice and don't care.   This apologetic attitude on this board reminds me of a religion. 

Hey, I've never heard Belles, so I can't speak for what they sound like. I am only referring to klipschorns.

Shakey

19 minutes ago, kink56 said:

This is why the only direct radiators I have are Open Baffle. Otherwise it's ALL horns, even the subwoofers (4 of them).

I am not trolling. I own two pairs of Klipcsh, but I have owned enough speakers to recognize their weaknesses as well as their strengths.  There are those here who are either not aware, or don't care or have simply drank the koolaid and are full-fledge members of the Cult that is PWK.   The person who OWNS the Khorns I listened to did not hear the resonance either.   And going by what I have seen here, I am sure there are others who have no idea what I have heard.  If I were rich, I would love to go to every member's house with my one CD that fully demonstrates what I am talking about, and take a poll on who can hear (or better term notice) what my objection is with Klipsch bass bins.