Advice for Beginners - consider this test from an audio club

ODS123

12 minutes ago, Tizman said:

Sounds like a monologue waiting to happen.

It begs the question, "If a tree falls in the forest where a bear is taking a shit does it really matter?" That sentiment resonates more with those bears that see a reality tv show host is chopping down the forest and no one seems to be around to hear it... 

{Edit: Oops. Wrong thread.}

To take your point it seems that is exactly what is happening on this one and so far he is getting a lot of traffic! Kudos. :) 

7 minutes ago, Tizman said:

It's more like a traffic jam.  Lots of honking and wasted energy, but no one is going anywhere.

Maybe so, but it does take (at least) two to tango. 

24 minutes ago, Tizman said:

Sounds like a monologue waiting to happen.

Or to coin an old forum phrase, "circle jerk." LOL. {EDIT: This thread has more hits than any I have ever started.}

10 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

It matters to the tree and the bear and the earth getting fertilized.

That's on an immediate level with humans contemplating it. IOW,other  bears have no conception that the next tree they encounter falling down could be being chopped at it's base by one of their own--THAT was the point in my scenario. 

Edited by Zen Traveler

Okay, I’m done for real this time.  Counter-trolling isn’t that interesting after all.  Time to start building stuff.  I’ll see you all in the other threads, where I’ll be asking questions and learning from the many of you that know more than I do, rather than telling anyone what’s what.  Bye ODS123!   Congratulations on this monster thread.  It’s been fun, kind of...

3 hours ago, ODS123 said:

That said, I'm not surprised that that has now become an area of audio connoisseur fixation.

I just love your phraseology. Audio connoisseur fixation. Very Freudian. I take it capacitors would be another area you have no practical experience in?

1 hour ago, Zen Traveler said:

To take your point it seems that is exactly what is happening on this one and so far he is getting a lot of traffic! Kudos. :) 

The term you are looking for is theater of the absurd. It is free entertainment and how can you not want to see the latest absurdity? "Audio connoisseur fixation", a phrase I can chuckle over for some time considering the source.

25 minutes ago, Tizman said:

Okay, I’m done for real this time.  Counter-trolling isn’t that interesting after all.  Time to start building stuff.  I’ll see you all in the other threads, where I’ll be asking questions and learning from the many of you that know more than I do, rather than telling anyone what’s what.  Bye ODS123!   Congratulations on this monster thread.  It’s been fun, kind of...

You like train wrecks as much as the next guy don't you?

28 minutes ago, Dave A said:

I just love your phraseology. Audio connoisseur fixation. Very Freudian. I take it capacitors would be another area you have no practical experience in?

No, I don't.  I must admit I've NEVER replaced any of the capacitors in any of my equipment.  But what about the quote below from Bob Crites?  ..Isn't he a note authority around here?  

From Bob Crites Website:

Good caps all sound the same.  Let's define that term.  A good cap has the value of capacitance we need and has very low ESR (I defined ESR earlier).  A bad cap has either the wrong value of capacitance and/or higher ESR.  If we compare a good cap to a bad cap, we would probably hear a difference.  If we compare two bad caps, they would also probably sound different.

37 minutes ago, Dave A said:

The term you are looking for is theater of the absurd. It is free entertainment and how can you not want to see the latest absurdity?

Yeah, but it depends on who is looking in the mirror.

Fwiw, I understand the OP's frustration in folks "the beginner," putting too much emphasis on how an SS amps sounds and the most important thing is to get good speakers and work backwards. For most people that will be more in the processing than the amp/power section...Otoh,  believe in DBT testing or not, but those expressing "gear adds to the emotion: sought and not limiting it to processing (or preferring tube amps,)while putting the emphasis on the amp baffles me. If you supply your speakers with enough current to play without distorting at the SPL you want then most modern SS/AVRs that fit your needs, imo.

That said, I no longer have has much interest in trying to convince others and have reminisced  about discussions that seemed more important in the whole scheme of things. Fwiw, those are my thoughts.

12 minutes ago, ODS123 said:

No, I don't.  I must admit I've NEVER replaced any of the capacitors in any of my equipment.  But what about the quote below from Bob Crites?  ..Isn't he a note authority around here?  

From Bob Crites Website:

Good caps all sound the same.  Let's define that term.  A good cap has the value of capacitance we need and has very low ESR (I defined ESR earlier).  A bad cap has either the wrong value of capacitance and/or higher ESR.  If we compare a good cap to a bad cap, we would probably hear a difference.  If we compare two bad caps, they would also probably sound different.

Btw, this seems like a good comment backing up his premise, to me....Not that it matters. Cheers! 

Edited by Zen Traveler

18 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Yeah, but it depends on who is looking in the mirror. Fwiw, I understand the OP's frustration in folks "the beginner," putting too much emphasis on how an SS amps sounds and the most important thing is to get good speakers and work backwards. For most people that will be more in the processing than the amp/power section...Otoh,  believe in DBT testing or not, but those expressing gear adds to the emotion sought and not limiting it to processing (or preferring tube amps,)while putting the emphasis on the amp baffles me. If you are supply your speakers with enough current to play without distorting at the SPL you want then most modern SS/AVRs that fit your needs, imo.

That said, I no longer have has much interest in trying to convince others and have reminisced  about discussions that seemed more important in the whole scheme of things. Fwiw, those are my thoughts.

Btw, this seems like a good comment backing up his premise to me....Not that it matters. ;) 

Oh I agree with Bob entirely and those Sonicaps are as fancy as I will ever get. I check things out with the same meter Bob uses for capacitance and inductance and believe good measuring caps do the trick not the amount you spend. I am just having fun with OD talking about things from a lofty perch again.

I doubt highly OD is the least bit concerned with beginners and how they spend money. If he truly was this whole thread would have entirely different comments from all sides. He is here to pontificate not to have a meaningful discussion.

38 minutes ago, Dave A said:

I doubt highly OD is the least bit concerned with beginners and how they spend money. If he truly was this whole thread would have entirely different comments from all sides. He is here to pontificate not to have a meaningful discussion.

I always try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt and sincerely hope that @ODS123 is not just "trolling".

Not exactly sure why he has chosen to ignore my questions regarding his definition of "linearity"? I think it's important, when discussing any topic, to define your terms and properly frame the discussion.

Otherwise, it's all just a bunch of noise. ;)

Just my opinion. :)