Advice for Beginners - consider this test from an audio club

ODS123

2 hours ago, ODS123 said:

No.. NOT just trolling. I wholeheartedly believe in what I've said in this thread. 

It is great to enjoy my morning cup of coffee and my chuckle for the day as I get ready to go work on speaker stuff. I raise my coffee cup to you Coytee!

11 hours ago, Deang said:

Capacitors “sound the same” in the same way that “linear” amplifiers “sound the same”. They don’t. 

I'm gonna start by saying what I know about caps would not fill a small sticky note. I certainly don't think all amps sound the same....but.... I do have a ? Do caps all sound the same if they have the same values/specs ? I recall Bob Carvers challenge to stereophile I think it was. He said he could equal Conrad Johnson sound for 1/10 the cost. He challenged anyone to pick the CJ consistently. Stereophile admitted no one could pick the difference, except they preferred the Carver. I post from memory but I think that was the basics of it.

I suppose my point was Bob always refuted the high dollar caps etc....But, maybe cheap caps don't last or perform as intended for  years/decades? 

3 minutes ago, Fish said:

I'm gonna start by saying what I know about caps would not fill a small sticky note. I certainly don't think all amps sound the same....but.... I do have a ? Do caps all sound the same if they have the same values/specs ? I recall Bob Carvers challenge to stereophile I think it was. He said he could equal Conrad Johnson sound for 1/10 the cost. He challenged anyone to pick the CJ consistently. Stereophile admitted no one could pick the difference, except they preferred the Carver. I post from memory but I think that was the basics of it.

I suppose my point was Bob always refuted the high dollar caps etc....But, maybe cheap caps don't last or perform as intended for  years/decades? 

This thread will get to 100 pages easy now.

OK, Now the real reason I'm curious is ....I picked up a nice Sansui set and it sounds great. I mean it's got lots of power (DB wise) and is crazy heavy. So I'm thinkin' is this the original sound, or could it be even better with new caps etc..?

sansui au-9500.jpg

10 minutes ago, Fish said:

OK, Now the real reason I'm curious is ....I picked up a nice Sansui set and it sounds great. I mean it's got lots of power (DB wise) and is crazy heavy. So I'm thinkin' is this the original sound, or could it be even better with new caps etc..?

sansui au-9500.jpg

These look nice,IMHO. but i'm just an imbecile.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Deang said:

Every electrolytic in that thing is nearing EOL. I’m pretty sure it’s going to blow soon. 

Well that's what I'm thinking but for months it's been solid. I can't imagine what parts are in it but they must have been pretty good to still put out such a great sound with endless power it seems. So, another ? to anyone, is there a good course of action to update it someday?