Advice for Beginners - consider this test from an audio club

ODS123

8 hours ago, ODS123 said:

No.. NOT just trolling. I wholeheartedly believe in what I've said in this thread. 

Fair enough, I will take you at your word.

Still wondering if I can get your comments regarding your definition of linearity? Are we talking about %IM? %THD (with further detail regarding odd order vs even order and the % of each)? Transfer function? Something else?

I am sincerely trying to understand the parameters you used when making your comments regarding "linear amplifiers".

Thank you.

On 1/21/2019 at 11:37 AM, Deang said:

But I’m not a legend like Crites or PWK, why would anyone be waiting for anything I have to say - ya bunch of half deaf imbeciles. 

You’re hilarious! Your crossovers are beautiful! Your posts are always honest, straight forward and helpful. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deang said:

@Fish it’s usually a good idea to get a vintage piece checked out by a good tech. As for the capacitors, I was serious about their useful service life. Resistors are more robust, but will drift out of spec. 

Thanks and certainly I agree. I can't imagine even after 2 decades those parts would be meeting original spec. This set is from 73/74, about 45 years, hard to believe. I'm not in an area in Cornfield County that's got a lot of "techs" I would trust (maybe if Jr. Samples were still alive) I have seen occasionally a guy in OHIO on craigslist, East of Cinci I think maybe 50 miles ?? He ads he restores amps etc....pretty far without knowing him.

On 1/21/2019 at 12:46 PM, Fish said:

OK, Now the real reason I'm curious is ....I picked up a nice Sansui set and it sounds great. I mean it's got lots of power (DB wise) and is crazy heavy. So I'm thinkin' is this the original sound, or could it be even better with new caps etc..?

sansui au-9500.jpg

I used to have a mint condition QA-7000 that matched up to that exactly. I gave it away years ago, never thinking it would ever rise in value again. Had the four small quad VU meters across the face.

On 1/21/2019 at 1:46 PM, Fish said:

OK, Now the real reason I'm curious is ....I picked up a nice Sansui set and it sounds great. I mean it's got lots of power (DB wise) and is crazy heavy. So I'm thinkin' is this the original sound, or could it be even better with new caps etc..?

sansui au-9500.jpg

They certainly look awesome.  And of course, the mode switch and tone controls speak to my heart :)

How are the switches and knobs?  ..Any scratchiness?

2 hours ago, ODS123 said:

They certainly look awesome.  And of course, the mode switch and tone controls speak to my heart :)

How are the switches and knobs?  ..Any scratchiness?

Thanks, absolutely silent on all knobs and switches. I'm guessing this sat many years unused, it looks anyway. The control over freq. etc.. is pretty good too, easy to dial in great sound in three different rooms.

2 hours ago, JGT914 said:

I used to have a mint condition QA-7000 that matched up to that exactly. I gave it away years ago, never thinking it would ever rise in value again. Had the four small quad VU meters across the face.

How could we know this stuff would be worth so much someday. I thought maybe it was worth a few hundred when I bought it. A guy buying some speakers offered me $800 without even turning it on. I posted here a few years back on some Rogers ls34 or something speakers I bought at a flea market for 5 bucks.  I sold them for $2000 on ebay. They were maybe 6 in wide, 10 in tall, 4 inch woofer ??? go figure...

3 hours ago, Fish said:

I posted here a few years back on some Rogers ls34 or something speakers I bought at a flea market for 5 bucks.  I sold them for $2000 on ebay.

LS3A/5A - They were designed by the BBC for use as a small, accurate portable monitor. Rogers was one of the first, if not THE first to license the design. Not very efficient but supposed to be well balanced.

Bruce

51 minutes ago, Marvel said:

LS3A/5A - They were designed by the BBC for use as a small, accurate portable monitor. Rogers was one of the first, if not THE first to license the design. Not very efficient but supposed to be well balanced.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce, you're right, they were not very eff. but sounded big for their size. I was pretty amazed at the sound for really small speakers. The word balanced actually is a good description.