Advice for Beginners - consider this test from an audio club

ODS123

8 hours ago, Marvel said:

LS3A/5A - They were designed by the BBC for use as a small, accurate portable monitor. Rogers was one of the first, if not THE first to license the design. Not very efficient but supposed to be well balanced.

Bruce

Isn't that where the BBC Dip came from?

9 hours ago, TubeHiFiNut said:
9 hours ago, Don Richard said:

Any amplifier that's clipping is non-linear at that point.

So we are just talking about clipping?

No.

Any amp kept below clipping is considered linear?

No.

That is the definition on which this discussion is based?

No.

It appears reading comprehension is not your strong point...😁

5 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Isn't that where the BBC Dip came from?

From what I have been able to find, it was used more on BBC speakers with larger drivers and the LS3A/5A didn't have it. Of course, they were all voiced for the particular application and drivers used, which could explain the issue with the ATC monitors being used at a distance that would NOT be considered nearfield (just to keep it on topic).

I have a pair of 30+ year-old DIY LS3/5a monitors with recently replaced networks from Falcon Acoustics in the UK.  While not an officially licensed pair, they’re made according to Falcon plans of the same materials and with the same KEF drivers as the licensed examples.

They were designed by the BBC to be portable monitors in the field.  As Bruce @Marvel said, they’re very inefficient.  They do sound excellent in small spaces at moderate levels.  Claude @ClaudeJ1 said he could understand the fuss about LS3/5a speakers after listening briefly to mine.

Personally, I feel they enjoy a cult status beyond their delivered performance.  My non-audiophile friends are ALWAYS impressed by the “large” sound from “small” speakers.  The attached photos are from the web, but mine look exactly the same.

I would not sell mine.  They have their place.

C63772CB-4406-455C-9916-3EF01B355769.jpeg

13 hours ago, ODS123 said:

LS 3A/5A...  A wonderful and timeless dynamic radiator speaker design. ...And a great many of its copies & iterations were constructed from MDF.

The Falcon Acoustic sourced plans for mine did not include MDF.  The materials specified were Baltic birch ply with beech battens/glue blocks all lined with bituminized felt.  To the best of my knowledge, no BBC licensed iterations included MDF. 

EDITED 01/23/19 @ 20:36 EST to change "spruce" to "beech."  Travis' @dwilawyer is correct about the hardwood braces called for by BBC LS3/5a spec.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DizRotus said:

I have a pair of 30+ year-old DIY LS3/5a monitors with recently replaced networks from Falcon Acoustics in the UK.  While not an officially licensed pair, they’re made according to Falcon plans of the same materials and with the same KEF drivers as the licensed examples.

They were designed by the BBC to be portable monitors in the field.  As Bruce @Marvel said, they’re very inefficient.  They do sound excellent in small spaces at moderate levels.  Claude @ClaudeJ1 said he could understand the fuss about LS3/5a speakers after listening briefly to mine.

Personally, I feel they enjoy a cult status beyond their delivered performance.  My non-audiophile friends are ALWAYS impressed by the “large” sound from “small” speakers.  The attached photos are from the web, but mine look exactly the same.

I would not sell mine.  They have their place.

Are you thread crapping?

one post closer....

:P

19 hours ago, TubeHiFiNut said:

So we are just talking about clipping? Any amp kept below clipping is considered linear?

That is the definition on which this discussion is based?

My smart alec comment was about the "linear" part being the Straight Line across an oscilloscope that happens during clipping, which means the voltage output has reached the level of the DC suppl rails on SS amps. There is also Current limit, but not relevant to the term "clipping" as much as it is creating thermal problems.

What makes an amplifier "non-linear" is when the higher signal output voltage no longer tracks the lower signal input voltage (linear gain). In the case of Unity gain amplifiers, they are more like driving a low impedance load with a high impedance input (basically a Current Amplifier at that point).

8 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

The Falcon Acoustic sourced plans for mine did not include MDF.  The materials specified were Baltic birch ply with spruce battens/glue blocks all lined with bituminized felt.  To the best of my knowledge, no BBC licensed iterations included MDF. 

https://www.stereophile.com/content/stirling-broadcast-bbc-ls36-loudspeaker

=>  cntrl+f  "MDF"