Advice for Beginners - consider this test from an audio club

ODS123

6 hours ago, Dave A said:

I don't think the knobs are very attractive.

My first integrated mono amp (when a teenager low on funds) looked pretty good.  It was an Arkay, 12 watts (actually more like 10 watts RMS).  The secret was the burnished brass (or luxuriant brass?) front plate.  image.png.7afa1481b975697cb461c8361b1f92f0.png

I knew it would sound great!  It didn't. 

Later an ugly Eico sounded better, but not great.  When I went to a fully horn loaded JBL, the distortion was revealed.  Then I "went stereo" and built a Dynakit PAS 3 preamp  and two 40 watt Dynakit poweramps, all tube.  Not bad, not bad at all.  Ready for solid state, a borrowed Marantz power amp sounded terrible -- harsh, steely, hard as granite (vintage 1973).  Eventually a warm, ss, but "tube-like" sounding Luxman integrated amp, with great controls, choices of turnover frequencies, etc. made beautiful music with my Klipschorns.   The Luxman was the best I ever had -- until it self destructed.image.thumb.png.c538fd3ea17b7ec2b232a528e5fe84c2.png

Time to go to Home Theater.  A NAD AVP was too noisy with my Klipschorns, but the 2 NAD c272  power amps are great, and 1 channel of a Yamaha, for surround is O.K..  My current Marantz AVP is fine, feeding the c272s.  I didn't do double blind tests, but I believe all these amps sounded different.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, garyrc said:

The Luxman was the best I ever had -- until it self destructed.image.thumb.png.c538fd3ea17b7ec2b232a528e5fe84c2.png

That is a beautiful integrated!!  ..It's regrettable that sooo few manufacturers these days include such a feature set on their pre-amps or integrateds like what you had on your Luxman.  Tone controls, I believe,  do no harm whatsoever when left out of the circuit.  But every so often I find a song is unlistenable without some sort of tone adjustment.  In such cases, they are a godsend.

Same for mono.  ..In the past few days I listened to a handful of albums in mono b/c the stereo imaging was way overcooked.   Surprisingly, this included John Coltranes "A love Supreme" on vinyl.  The drums were audible ONLY from the right speaker, even when pressing my ear to the left speaker.  ..And ditto the sax from the left.    Not sure if it was mixed this way or miced.  ..Either way, it sounded way more natural in mono.

23 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

Haven't heard it. But my money is definitely on "shitty"...........

Shakey

This amp, when driving my Cornwall III's, is absolutely indistinguishable from McIntosh MA6600.  ..Granted, the CW's are quite easy to drive.  ..But so too are Klipschorns.

So, just so I understand, you think a nicer amp than this driving a "great pair of monitors" would sound better than the this amp driving a pair of Klipschorns?  What is this amp doing in the 2-3 watts it would take to adequately drive the Klipschorns that would make them sound terrible?  ..It's quiet, has little cross-talk, and far far far from reaching it's 50watt capability.  So why would you expect it to sound terrible?  ..Other than it's $130 cost?

1 minute ago, ODS123 said:

This amp, when driving my Cornwall III's, is absolutely indistinguishable from McIntosh MA6600.  ..Granted, the CW's are quite easy to drive.  ..But so too are Klipschorns.

So, just so I understand, you think a nicer amp than this driving a "great pair of monitors" would sound better than the this amp driving a pair of Klipschorns?  What is this amp doing in the 2-3 watts it would take to adequately drive the Klipschorns that would make them sound terrible?  ..It's quiet, has little cross-talk, and far far far from reaching it's 50watt capability.  So why would you expect it to sound terrible?  ..Other than it's $130 cost?

You're not dragging me back down that rabbit hole with you. Notice I didn't speak in absolutes because I haven't heard it. I am only speculating about what I would think. I am perfectly happy with my amp, so I really don't care.

Shakey

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shakeydeal said:

You're not dragging me back down that rabbit hole with you. Notice I didn't speak in absolutes because I haven't heard it. I am only speculating about what I would think. I am perfectly happy with my amp, so I really don't care.

Shakey

Yes and the knobs on that amp are not pretty either. Reading the specs I would never have been interested in this BUT we do have to get to 100 pages. Like the Pinocchio click bait far more than the amp.

I've not heard the Audiosource AMP 100 but I have heard the Audiosource AMP ONE.

The Audiosource AMP ONE is a competent 80 watt/channel solid state amp that, in my opinion, sounds O.K. and could be described as hitting "above its weight".

If I use @ODS123 logic, the AMP 100 and AMP ONE should sound the same.

There is no way that the Audiosource AMP ONE sounded like the CJ Premier Four and Quicksilver M135 tube amps or the Sonographe SA120 and Adcom GFA-555 transistor amps my friend was rotating into his system that day.

I guess my final comment to @ODS123 is that if you don't hear any differences between the Audiosource AMP 100 and your Autoformer coupled McIntosh MA6600, more power to you. Evidently the differences in amps are not important enough to you to notice.

Just my opinion. :)

Best of luck getting the thread to 100 pages. :)

15 hours ago, Deang said:

A pair of Klipschorns or LaSclalas

with entry level gear sounds terrible. Been there done that. 

I can just add that when I first bought my rf7's I had a mid grade Onkyo avr. That combo sounded so bad I was gonna take them back. I bought an upper end Denon and a Parasound amp and everything changed for the better. It was obvious to even my sons and their friends which were in awe. They were previously uninpressed by the beautiful rf7's, as I was. Then I started a quest and it got better as I moved to better amp/pre combos. I was dragging them in two or three at a time to audition ,BK, Rotel, Outlaw,Adcom etc....I am a firm believer that I will never know just how good the 7's or any great horn can sound until you enter $5 digits of amps/pre's cause it always got better with certain units.

Sure that sucks for me cause that ain't happening.But at about 3k pre and 2k amp I was satisfied with splendor.Sadly health tragedy struck and put an end to all that.I then realized what's really important, life....I used to really enjoy music on my am radio. I decided that the music itself was what I really loved . The delivery system is important too, but just what I can put together on a slimmer budget.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fish said:

. . . I used to really enjoy music on my am radio. I decided that the music itself was what I really loved . The delivery system is important too, but just what I can put together on a slimmer budget.

Exactly!

• Like 1

Come on.  It’s just 5 more pages.  Okay I’ll help out....

On 2/1/2019 at 6:49 AM, ODS123 said:

Either way, it sounded way more natural in mono.

Listening to mono through two speakers is dumb.  It unnecessarily adds the issues inherent in the reproduction of every stereo recording to the reproduction of a mono recording that wouldn’t normally have these issues.  Try mono through one speaker.  It sounds much better whether is was recorded that way originally, or some sort of a summing circuit was used to make it mono.

On 2/1/2019 at 8:58 AM, TubeHiFiNut said:

I guess my final comment to @ODS123 is that if you don't hear any differences between the Audiosource AMP 100 and your Autoformer coupled McIntosh MA6600, more power to you. Evidently the differences in amps are not important enough to you to notice.

Are you saying there IS a difference?

47 minutes ago, Tizman said:

Come on.  It’s just 5 more pages.  Okay I’ll help out....

Listening to mono through two speakers is dumb.  It unnecessarily adds the issues inherent in the reproduction of every stereo recording to the reproduction of a mono recording that wouldn’t normally have these issues.  Try mono through one speaker.  It sounds much better whether is was recorded that way originally, or some sort of a summing circuit was used to make it mono.

Sorry, but that's ridiculous.   Whatever issues you're eluding to apparently matter less than the improvement of having everything coming from the center.  

And  I will occasionally playback in "mono" and completely attenuate the other channel if I'm sitting right next to one of the speakers

On 2/1/2019 at 9:58 AM, TubeHiFiNut said:

Not me, my kids  or my wife could hear one iota of difference.  ..And, like me, they are also music obsessives who care a great deal about fidelity.  How else could I get away with having speakers the size of coffins in our great room? :)