New car time - help

wuzzzer

31 minutes ago, richieb said:

Use their money; whether I can afford to pay cash for new I’ll opt for 0% anytime. Several are currently running these deals —

You pay the same amount of money either way, it's a game the dealerships play.  If you don't take the 0% (or ultra low percentage) they will immediately knock $2000 off the sticker price. 

Exactly.  We buy used and drive them until their wheels fall off.  Pay cash, never have payments.  I always allow as part of the decision process a thousand or two as repair money to get it back up to snuff.  A few repairs over the years always seem to add up to much less than monthly payments, plus most repairs can be flexibly scheduled, whereas payments are due every month.

On 12/19/2018 at 6:28 AM, CECAA850 said:

I don't know anything about the Ford or Chevy but on the remaining 3 the Grand Cherokee is the clear winner.  Not even close.

Ditto on the Grand Cherokee, particularly the SRT. Gitty-up.

If buying "Used" has you concerned, get a CPO vehicle from the dealership. You'll pay a little more than if you bought it from Joe Blow, but knowing it's warrantied will give you peace of mind. Some dealerships offer crazy good CPO warranties.

On another note, something I noticed missing from your list of vehicle options was a Subaru. Last year I bought my daughter a Subaru Outback with the 3.6 liter. Let me tell yea, that little 6 cyl. boxer engine has some serious gitty-up-n-go. She's smooth running and quite, a real joy to drive.... when my daughter lets me. I used the tow hitch for the first time about a month ago. Had my daughter pulled a small 12 ft tandem axle that was over-loaded with firewood, almost 2 chords worth, and  the Subaru never skipped a beat. It's a solid little SUV.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

You pay the same amount of money either way, it's a game the dealerships play.  If you don't take the 0% (or ultra low percentage) they will immediately knock $2000 off the sticker price. 

=== not if you receive Both - 0% And xxx off sticker — 

We have a 2008 Honda Pilot and really like it. It has a form of AWD and we have never gotten it stuck. There is tons of storage everywhere and if you fold the seats down it basically becomes a pickup truck. I have surprised myself repeatedly with all you can fit back there. 

55 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Exactly.  We buy used and drive them until their wheels fall off.  Pay cash, never have payments.  I always allow as part of the decision process a thousand or two as repair money to get it back up to snuff.  A few repairs over the years always seem to add up to much less than monthly payments, plus most repairs can be flexibly scheduled, whereas payments are due every month.

My personal preference is to buy used, few years old, CPO.  Get a great deal and get dealer to extend warranty and throw in items for free.   Get best rate at credit union and ride t he entire loan. You would be surprised how little total finance charges are. Keep the money in your pocket and invest it instead.   Let your money work for you.   You build better credit that way anyhow.   If you decide to walk away from the vehicle, sell it for what you owe.   Cheaper than leasing a car.  I have done this several times with success.  Just my two cents. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I bought a pair of boots the other day. As I was checking out there was an offer of $50 off if I applied/approved for a Visa credit card. Are you kidding? About 30 seconds later I checked out saving the $50 plus the taxes. I'll pay that off and cancel the card in the next few weeks. Does it hurt my credit? I really don't give a s**t if it does or doesn't.

Do I take advantage of zero to low interest rate financing? Darn right. Is my money sitting in the CU earning a measly rate of interest. Yes it is. Do I have plenty of time to write a check monthly and mail it while my money mildews at the CU? Yes, yes I do. Will their money that I'm using cost me anything months from now while my moldy money has earned hundreds at the CU? Doesn't cost me a thing.

Am I cheap? Hardly. I enjoy paying back banks and institutions that took advantage of me back when I didn't have a choice. I find the practice entertaining. YMMV.

Keith

• Like 1

Just now, wuzzzer said:

Why is that?

I'm not a fan of the Fiat influenced vehicles.  I see electrical and drivability issues more on them than the Grand Cherokee.  I don't care for their electrical architecture or connectors.  Check their reliability ratings. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

My personal preference is to buy used, few years old, CPO.  Get a great deal and get dealer to extend warranty and throw in items for free.   Get best rate at credit union and ride t he entire loan. You would be surprised how little total finance charges are. Keep the money in your pocket and invest it instead.   Let your money work for you.   You build better credit that way anyhow.   If you decide to walk away from the vehicle, sell it for what you owe.   Cheaper than leasing a car.  I have done this several times with success.  Just my two cents. 

Well a few thousand dollars with a short time horizon (life of loan) isn't going to earn too much, and the interest paid reduces that return.  My credit is perfect so there's not much I can do to improve it.

3 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Well a few thousand dollars with a short time horizon (life of loan) isn't going to earn too much, and the interest paid reduces that return.  My credit is perfect so there's not much I can do to improve it.

Understood.   This is an option for those that may not want to be "locked" into a car withojt being sure of it first.   Test drives certainly won't tell me whether I will love a car long term or not. 

33 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

The mason bricked my house one brick at the time.

Keith

14 minutes ago, jason str said:

Have a look at the Dodge Durango and Honda Pilot when shopping around.

I don't like the styling of the Pilot at all, any model year.

I have considered a Durango but for a used one in decent shape with the price and options I want it'll have to have very high miles which I don't want.

My wife's vehicle is an '08 Wrangler Unlimited with about 109,000 miles on it that has been incredibly reliable in the six or so years that we've had it.  I don't want to own two vehicles with over 100,000 miles on them.