Doublestacking Corner Horns

moriceman

So I got this bug ... and its contagious. Its called the Heritage bug.  I've been hearing about the sound of Klipsch for 20 years and personally experienced the warmth and depth of the sound every time I used to visit Little Rock, Arkansas during late night jam sessions in the 90's, so ... I finally bought a pair of LaScalas two years ago.  And then I bought a pair of Heresy speakers a couple of months later. And then I bought a pair of Khorns a few months later and then I bought another pair of Khorns a few months later.  STOP! (talking to myself) I don't want to get rid of anything, so do you think it is okay for me to stack the Khorns with the upper pair turned upside down?  Any of you forum members ever done that?

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

moriceman

The top hats may be weak (?) if shaken. Are you in earthquake country?  Since they will be some 8 1/2+ feet high, perhaps they should be attached to the walls somehow.  At the place I used to work (in California) the rule was that anything taller than 6 feet had to be firmly attached.

For the guys that do loudspeaker measurements...I bet that the Renkus-Heinz/Sato/La Scala/Khorn setup has a fairly nasty looking step response, among other issues.  That wouldn't be my notion of "hi-fi". It might be nostalgic however...in a certain Frankensteinian manner.

9 hours ago, jason str said:

General stacking of speakers takes the magic out of the music.

This has been my experience, too, and polar lobing is not the least of the problems.  In my experience, it's a poor way to get an additional 2.7 dB of headroom...

I'd instead use the Khorns 3-across the front (if you've got the room) and build a false corner for the middle Khorn.  Then use the La Scalas as surrounds, and perhaps the Heresies as back surrounds or perhaps elevation channels (mounted on the ceiling).  I'd also build a couple of TH-Spud clones at least and put one on a corner and one mid-wall.

I'd find a top-of-the-line refurbished A/V preamp/processor having something like Audyssey, a Xilica XP-8080 (from MetropolisLakeOutfitters), and about 7-8 stereo amplifiers (or good class D multichannel amplifiers in one or more boxes having balanced XLR connections--like ICEpower modules), thus converting your rig convert into a multichannel hi-fi setup. 

That would have some real fidelity and accompanying headroom...if everything was dialed-in using some REW measurements and the Xilica to do the dialing-in.

YMMV.

Chris

10 hours ago, moriceman said:

I finally bought a pair of LaScalas two years ago.  And then I bought a pair of Heresy speakers a couple of months later. And then I bought a pair of Khorns a few months later and then I bought another pair of Khorns a few months later.  STOP! (talking to myself)

Agree!  :lol:

10 hours ago, moriceman said:

so do you think it is okay for me to stack the Khorns with the upper pair turned upside down? 

The best thing you could do with that setup is to run the Khorns L/C/R and don't put anything in between them, no audio furniture, nothing.  Mounting a TV on the wall would be OK.  Use the Heresy's as Surround Sides, then put the two LS in the back with the extra Khorn in the middle.

That would make a dynamite 5.0 setup, and with three Khorns up front, I guarantee you, no sub required.

2 hours ago, Chris A said:

...I'd find a top-of-the-line refurbished A/V preamp/processor having something like Audyssey, a Xilica XP-8080 (from MetropolisLakeOutfitters), and about 7-8 stereo amplifiers (or good class D multichannel amplifiers in one or more boxes having balanced XLR connections--like ICEpower modules), thus converting your rig convert into a multichannel hi-fi setup. 

That would have some real fidelity and accompanying headroom...if everything was dialed-in using some REW measurements and the Xilica to do the dialing-in.

YMMV.

Chris

not to sidetrack this too much but for the amps - wouldn't gain adjustable be important for dialing in gain stages/minimizing noise?  How about something like this?  https://classdaudio.com/sds-250c-4-channel-class-d-audio-power-amplifier.html

2 hours ago, Chris A said:

I'd instead use the Khorns 3-across the front (if you've got the room) and build a false corner for the middle Khorn.

Yes for music, but for video, I did not care for the "big" sound of human voices from the center channel, so I removed the center K-horn and prefer the La Scala as the center speaker. I can recommend using the second pair of K-horns as rear surround speakers if you have the space.

If I might ask: did you do anything to tame the Khorn's time alignment and EQ issues when it was in the center, left, and right positions? 

The La Scala is also not on centerline between the Khorn's midrange horns (in the vertical dimension off the floor) unless you raised it up by the requisite amount.  I've found this to be critical--as in  the midrange horn centerline needs to be within 1 to 1.5 inches of centerline of the flanking speakers' midrange horn centerlines, left and right.

Chris