Anybody Near Elgin IL, Willing to Facilitate a Sale?

Peter P.

I apologize if this should be in the Garage Sale section. I figured it would reach more eyeballs here. Moderators; feel free to move it.

There's a  kg sw subwoofer on eBay. Seller is in Elgin IL, but will only accept local pickup. Yes; I contacted him via eBay Message but he refused to reply.

It already passed one auction without a buyer, so perhaps no one local to Elgin IL wants it. But I want it!

Obviously, it would need to be shipped to CT. The first one I purchased on eBay was shipped from Georgia, and cost about $50 and arrived in undamaged condition, so that should give you a ballpark idea.

And obviously, I'd compensate you for your troubles. Interested Klipsch fans, please PM me.

8 minutes ago, Peter P. said:

Obviously, it would need to be shipped to CT. The first one I purchased on eBay was shipped from Georgia, and cost about $50

Seller says he will drop it off at a UPS store where it can be packaged and shipped.  Your $50 sub could easily end up costing you $150 if the UPS store package it.

I have never heard of a KG sub, but there it is!  Why would you want it other than you already have one?  It uses an 8 Ohm driver and can only handle 100 watts.  I can't imagine it would compare favorably to any modern sub.

3 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Seller says he will drop it off at a UPS store where it can be packaged and shipped.  Your $50 sub could easily end up costing you $150 if the UPS store package it.

I have never heard of a KG sub, but there it is!  Why would you want it other than you already have one?  It uses an 8 Ohm driver and can only handle 100 watts.  I can't imagine it would compare favorably to any modern sub.

It's not a subwoofer in the common sense of the word.

It's a passive, bandpass speaker with inputs from both channels, then out to the regular speakers. It's the equivalent of a pair of kg4's without the tweeters-two 8" dual voicecoil woofers with a switch that either uses one voicecoil per woofer or both, changing the output from 91-94db.

It doesn't play as low as a subwoofer (I call 30Hz the starting point.); 38-150Hz, but the efficiency perfectly matches my Heresy II's. Since I don't watch movies, I don't need LFE type lows but a full-range speaker equivalent.

When I bought the first one, I discovered it definitely fills in that 1/2 octave below the Heresy -3dB cutoff and turned the Heresy's into keepers-almost.

I'm so torn to buy a pair of kg4's or kg 3.2's and do away with the extra wiring. I have also been tempted to buy a true subwoofer (I lust for an SVS SB-1000) but I'm cheap, and I don't want to pay the extra electric bill when it's in idle mode, which I calculated out to 36 cents/year, I think!

Anyway, I initially had the first kg sw in my basement, filling in a pair of kg2.2's and the results were dramatic. Since I brought it upstairs to pair with the Heresy's, my basement system is longing to get back some low end, hence the search for another one.

11 minutes ago, Peter P. said:

I have also been tempted to buy a true subwoofer (I lust for an SVS SB-1000) but I'm cheap, and

I don't want to pay the extra electric bill when it's in idle mode, which I calculated out to 36 cents/year, I think!

LOL!  I give you full credit, that's cheap! 

You sound like me.  :lol:

the kg subs are actually pretty decent for what they are, a low priced option to add some bass to smaller woofer speakers or others that lack bass like heresys. as mentioned, they are not a true modern sub that goes down to 20hz or lower. but then again, most music doesnt have anything below 20-25hz anyways.  they also have kg powered subs, the 10-15" ones are pretty nice for an older low priced sub.

as for the idle mode on powered subs, an easy way to avoid that & prolong the life of the amp is to use a power strip or surge protector with an on off switch, just turn it off when the sub wont be used for a long time... or just unplug it.  i do that with my powered subs & even seperate amps when i dont use them for a week or more.  or a big lightning storm is coming, cant hurt the electronics if they arent plugged in!  & most the cheaper surge protectors wont stop a direct lightning hit anyways.