CL: LaScala BB (Pace)

billybob

Talked to the seller yesterday. He was a bit short with me, told me he’d meet me for a drive fee. Talked to him later and he said he wouldn’t drive to meet me, then he said I was like seventh in line. They seem like a great deal, what’s your reason for thinking they wouldn’t sell for this price? 

41 minutes ago, Madman1 said:

reason for thinking they wouldn’t sell for this price?

They might go for that price, but for just a little more money someone can buy furniture grade finished LaScala rather than industrial black that's a little beat up. Also, I would want to know their history. If the came from a church or movie theater, then okay. If the were in a roller skating rink or a smokey bar where they were played at maximum volume all their life, they might be tired.  

• Like 1

The Seller has described the condition as " Cabinets are good with some fixable dings and chips."  Going by the pics I would rate them as Average, no better.

That makes a difference in pricing as I have LS's with Type AA XO's pricing broken into two categories, Condition A/B which average $1201, and Condition CDF $927, including this $700 pair.

15 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

He can claim that, and that might be so. Days later, the ad is still up with his phone # so the seller is probably playing games to get more money. I've seen better go for less.  

Yea, and I've seen worse go for more.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Madman1 said:

Talked to the seller yesterday. He was a bit short with me, told me he’d meet me for a drive fee. Talked to him later and he said he wouldn’t drive to meet me, then he said I was like seventh in line. They seem like a great deal, what’s your reason for thinking they wouldn’t sell for this price? 

Wishy washy and if you are seventh in line, others may be waiting to see a drop. On 2nd thought and after reading your reply, think I would go no more than $400 if were in the market in a bad way. Half of it for me is the seller and the buyer both happy. More power to him, just sell to 1st in line and delete...there will be other LS coming down the pike.

• Like 1

I specifically asked about the crossovers but he had no idea what they were. They are definitely new to him. He said he just came across them. I need another set of big speakers like I need a hole in my head but, I’d pay the 700 for them but, I’m not gonna beg the guy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ssh said:

$700 is a bargain, even considering the probable necessity of recapping/ restoring the crossovers, if all of the drivers work. Install a pr of jimjimbo's AAs and it's still a bargain. I'm at a loss to even understand a price of $400.

SSH 

You might be right. The last pair like these that sold on ebay went for 600.  Jim was asking $950 for a pair that he fixed up with woofers, xovers, tweeters, dampend horns and, from what i can recall, the cabinets were in great condition. Subtract all that from the 950 and 400 is high. 

1 hour ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

You might be right. The last pair like these that sold on ebay went for 600.  Jim was asking $950 for a pair that he fixed up with woofers, xovers, tweeters, dampend horns and, from what i can recall, the cabinets were in great condition. Subtract all that from the 950 and 400 is high. 

In almost every instance, a seller cannot/should not expect to recover the cost of refurbed/newer components.  Believe me, if I were to do that, and to even consider charging for HALF of the effort and work that I put into some of the pairs of Heresy's, Cornwall's and La Scala's that I've sold, I  would have had a very, very difficult, if not impossible time selling them.  It's a labor of love, and a willingness to pass on something good to other folks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

In almost every instance, a seller cannot/should not expect to recover the cost of refurbed/newer components. 

Agreed. That is the same with cars, motorcycles and such. It's similar to wives: A man is never going to recoup anything near what they cost.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, dwillie said:

Do the serial numbers tell us the age of these speakers?  These may be a pair of the old "screw top" La Scala's.  d.

Crossed my mind but doghouse vertical not horizontal. Thanks!

Hope the buyer/seller are happy...