Fixing noisy doorbell....

Mighty Favog

SO!! I'm going around the house fixing various small things like dripping faucets, electrical outlets, running toilets, clothes dryer belts, etc, etc...

The doorbell on this house is one of those that plays Westminster Chimes for about 3-4 seconds with no mechanical bells used. There are speakers for this thing in 4 areas of the house. The thing is they all hum slightly, even the base unit. The one that bothers me the most is the basement where the music room is.

I replaced the button at the front door and the hum was gone. Problem is that the chime doesn't complete it cycle unless you hold in the button. The old button has what looks like a capacitor bridging the two connectors to wire the button to the electrical service. I removed that "thing" from the old button and put it on the new one and the chime works the way it should. BUT, the hum is back. I'm assuming that little that came off the old button is a capacitor but I don't know its value or where to get one cheap. 

I could call the company that made the whole unit but first I have to find out who that is...

Any ideas or the value of this thing or could it even be some sort of delayed switch?

2 minutes ago, Mighty Favog said:

O.k., just popped off the cover of the base unit and they warn of a diode that must be in place on the button. So now I know what it is, now just have to find one.

Might be easier to just find a door bell with one.  They're pretty cheap.

Just now, Mighty Favog said:

If it's the same hum as before I started messing with it, could it be the initial installer put it in backwards too?

Anything is possible.  I've replaced my door bell button several times due to the sun destroying them but never had to trouble shoot one.  The style like you had would last maybe 2 seasons before the plastic disintigrated.  I went to a metal/led button 3 or 4 years age and it's still going.

23 minutes ago, avguytx said:

We went old school on the front doorbell on our new house. This joker is some kind of metal...brass maybe. Wife picked it out. I liked it. 

20181130_122618_crop_576x576.jpg

I just use my smartfone and say 'dyslexia, make doorbell sound'.

Keith

O.k., I may just have to suck this one up for now. I returned the replacement button and told Home Depot and Lowe's what I needed and got the three-headed look both times. I'm assuming NuTone made the base unit but it's too late today to call them.

I don't relish finding another transformer for this thing. Parts Express is only about 30-miles away so they may have a new diode.