Fixing noisy doorbell....

Mighty Favog

Thanks for bringing up this topic... while scrolling, I decided to click on this subject... if I may proceed (ok lol) since 15 year's ago I decided to remove my doorbell, which was wired into an intercom system with 4 talk point's around the house, which were suppose to play music once upon a time, too... I replaced the pad on the porch with a brass plate, and a sticker informing the approaching person, that "No Soliciting" was the rule... and patched all the wall's were the speakers and buttons used to be....

Carl posted a great video earlier, I'm thinking why I didn't search for a solution 15 year's ago... oh yeah... o O (u tube and dial up lol)... but all in all, I hope to see the hum dissolve in your system, and if to no avail, if it seems to persist, and you feel the need to cover the hole on your front porch, I submit the sign below as an alternative...

doorbell.jpg

6 hours ago, windashine said:

Thanks for bringing up this topic... while scrolling, I decided to click on this subject... if I may proceed (ok lol) since 15 year's ago I decided to remove my doorbell, which was wired into an intercom system with 4 talk point's around the house, which were suppose to play music once upon a time, too... I replaced the pad on the porch with a brass plate, and a sticker informing the approaching person, that "No Soliciting" was the rule... and patched all the wall's were the speakers and buttons used to be....

Carl posted a great video earlier, I'm thinking why I didn't search for a solution 15 year's ago... oh yeah... o O (u tube and dial up lol)... but all in all, I hope to see the hum dissolve in your system, and if to no avail, if it seems to persist, and you feel the need to cover the hole on your front porch, I submit the sign below as an alternative...

doorbell.jpg

I just packaged up a West Virginia Doorbell kit for my uncle. It is a cowbell on a 100 foot rope. You have to drill holes in the wall and hang the rope outside the door. Those diodes only work one way and cannot be installed backwards.

JJK

O.k., tired of screwing with it. Here's the answer I came up with.....

An added bonus was, I'm assuming, some kind of voltage drop from the added connections of the switch. Now it can barely be heard. Will have to wait later this evening when all the ambient noise settles.

Thanks fer da input y'all!!

IMG_20181222_212614.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Useless update!!

Turns out the base doorbell unit is made by a company called Trine. I called them and the company was bought exactly the year this DB was made! I gave them tge only number on the unit which was an assembly board number; no help. The nice young man I spoke with said that most likely it was the button not disconnecting fully after being pushed and still carrying some current through the system.

So, in the mean time, I put new plastic anchors in the wall to remount the base unit as only one was holding it up. I looked for any strands of connecting wire grounding it out but all was o.k. Then gave it a test ring to be sure it worked. A few seconds later it rang 1 and 1/2 times more by itself and finally quit.

But here's the good part......it stopped buzzing through all the speakers!!! The button must have fully retracted. Now, I'm afraid to test it with it being so cold out to have it buzz again.......oy.