Gun safe failure - need help (resolved)

wvu80

My son is in law enforcement and he keeps his duty weapons in the safe when not on duty. He swapped out the keypad's 9 volt battery and now his safe won't open.  He needs this thing opened fast or he may have to have someone drill into it.

He's already talked to Canon as there is lifetime support.  They were unable to help.  They had him do a factory reset which would turn the combo back to factory 123456.  There is no physical way to reset the combo, it must be done via the keypad.

https://www.cannonsafe.com/blog/how-to-change-the-combination-on-your-cannon-safe-digital-lock/

• Canon 16 gun safe, cost about $1500 when new and weighs about 400 pounds.  It is very solid with large locking bolts and thick metal.
  • Electronic Keypad with six-digit combination
  • It worked 100% of the time for a year until he swapped out the battery which was low, but still working.
  • The actual combination is kept in the lock mechanism, not in the keypad

I think the keypad must have gotten a surge of some kind when removing/replacing the battery.  My theory is if he can reset the keypad the lock will respond.

Any ideas to get this safe opened using the keypad?

Has he swapped the battery back out yet?

Seth May 24, 2017 at 8:25 pm - Reply

Safe has worked great for 3 years. Had to change battery and now code does not work. It beeps twice telling me that I have the right code but will not open.

Ashlee Wright May 25, 2017 at 11:57 am - Reply

Hey Seth,

Are you using a Duracell or Energizer battery with an expiration date of 5 years in the future? If the battery is not all alkaline there may not be enough power to open the locking mechanism. If this does not work please contact us via live chat on the website or by calling 800-242-1055 Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, baron167 said:

Has he swapped the battery back out yet?

Yes.  He swapped in a new battery, got failure and used the other battery from the same blister pack, neither worked. Expiration date for the batteries is 2024.

I've suggested he get another package of Duracell or Energizer battery, Alkaline.

• Like 3

Yes.  He swapped in a new battery, got failure and used the other battery from the same blister pack, neither worked. Expiration date for the batteries is 2024.

I've suggested he get another package of Duracell or Energizer battery, Alkaline.

I guess that's about all you can do other than test the batteries, too. Oh, and put the "old" battery back in and try it. If support can't help, I'd never by a safe from them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, billybob said:

Should have said also, yes there should be a non-volatile backup like a battery circuit to retain the keycode memory.

I don't know their exact technology but my understanding is that the keycode is not kept in the electronic keypad. 

It is retained in the physical lock mechanism within the safe.

5 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I don't know their exact technology but my understanding is that the keycode is not kept in the electronic keypad. 

It is retained in the physical lock mechanism within the safe.

Makes sense or you could non-power keypad battery and just go to the default set up of 123... Was just agreeing that code retained elsewhere than keypad. A failsafe design, of course.

1 minute ago, billybob said:

Makes sense or you could non-power keypad battery and just go to the default set up of 123... Was just agreeing that code retained elsewhere than keypad.

A variable right now is that the company had him do a reset of some kind.  I don't know if the safe is now looking for 123456 or it it's looking for the original 6-digit code which worked perfectly for the last year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, carlthess40 said:

If you have an oscilloscope you can pull out the bottom of the pad and hook the scope up to it and go through each number and then you can find out which code it put in as a new code
also possibly shorted out to get it open like that as well

He has been in contact with a locksmith.  Maybe that guy has those tools.

I think you are onto something with the idea of shorting out the keypad.  When I worked on computers if you forgot a password in the CMOS you could remove the battery and short the jumpers to reset the entire CMOS.  Then put the battery back in and you start at ground zero, which would be a win in this case.