Gun safe failure - need help (resolved)

wvu80

10 minutes ago, windashine said:

. o O ( I'd use a 20volt max Dewalt saw ) 

This is 11 gauge steel.  It's pretty tough.

You'd have to go through the metal itself, you would never be able to cut through those thick bolts, about 6 of them.

+++

He thinks the Pw is reset to 123456.  Working with that assumption now, and he's doing some more factory resets.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, soundkeepers said:

Cheaper safes come with keys to open them in case of keypad failure. There will be a key slot behind the keypad. If it is a high quality safe with a quality keypad you will have to call a locksmith.

IF equipped with a key lock, would like to think only owner would know but...security first. Thanks!

• Like 1

He's had the entire keypad off.  There is a way to short the keypad and do a factory reset which is what the Canon safe people had him do.  He thinks the combo is now 123456, the factory default.  When he tries that code it gives me a 3-beep code and refuses to work.

I suggested he take the battery out overnight and try again in the morning.

38 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I suggested he take the battery out overnight and try again in the morning.

might just be the "fail safe" after too many attempts to . o O (crack by guess) … I mean... that little keypad might be smarter than all of us... except that Makita cut off saw in the garage, that would saw through the top like a greased eel slippin' down a wet drain pipe... wouldn't suggest the side cut, because too much of a chance from sawing a bullet in half....

• Moderators

Dynamite always works in the movies. 

They shouldn't put electronic parts on things that do not need it, even if it is a little less cool without it. A knob with a combination and a key never fail.

• Like 2

The bottom of the safe is the thinnest part of the safe. Pretty much any safe.
I could talk you though the electronic part of the key pad. I’ve done a few with my scope and dmm meters. On the back is the SN and if he filled out the paper work then they will help him in the phone. I buy safes from yard sales and places like that , 99% of the time they don’t have the key or combination
I just have them right up a a bill of sale and fax that in with the SN and 20 dollars and one week later I get what I need
Most safes use 3 numbers. You can’t change the numbers, only the placement of them. It’s just 3 wheels with a notched out spot in it and you can move the round plates to move the numbers. Say it’s 23. 43. 53
You can move them to 53-23-43. 43-23-53
But the numbers stay the same. The key pads can be a *****. I’m 8 out of 10 on getting them open without any damage
Good luck. Pm me if you think I can help

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, carlthess40 said:

On the back is the SN and if he filled out the paper work then they will help him in the phone.

He is the second owner but the Canon safe has a lifetime warranty and it's transferable.  He already spent 35 minutes on the phone with Canon's tech support and they walked him through a factory reset to no avail.  The tech decided it was a bad keypad.

I don't see how it could be a bad keypad when it's worked perfectly for a year and only bricked when he changed the battery.

+++

50 minutes ago, carlthess40 said:

I’m 8 out of 10 on getting them open without any damage
Good luck. Pm me if you think I can help

If you don't mind working with my son, I'd love to have your help.  

He's in law enforcement and his shift ends at 3am so he'll sleep to about noon.  If you're available around that time I'll make arrangements with him for you guys to talk.

Thanks, I appreciate the offer.