Gun safe failure - need help (resolved)

wvu80

My bedside hand gun safe has a 4 button PIN input and a key. Powered by a 9 VDC battery but I don’t trust that without the key. Open at bedtime and close when I get up. The bigger stuff is in a tumbler safe, one for guns and a higher rated fire safe for the ammo.

• 2 weeks later...

If and when you get all this worked out
I would love to get all those parts
Keypad and inside lock and see if I can try some things to see if I can use my scope to bypass this crap. Message me, I’ll pay for the shipping, I’ll start off with my little safe
The same as the one talked about with the keypad and backup key

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2019 at 6:44 AM, whatever55 said:

Has there been any progress with a new keypad ?

A new keypad was purchased and installed.  Apparently it had the same problem as the original, the 1 and the 4 would not beep!  After all the talks with my son, this recent revelation was the first I had heard of this!  He is going to send the new keypad back to the company that made it, which they said in advance he could do if it didn't work.

He finally drilled out the old lock mechanism and used a sawzall to cut the metal away.  He said it was not a tough as it appeared.  The bottom line is he has his duty weapon back.  The safe is now trashed and unusable.

Many thanks to all who helped with suggestions.  I really appreciate it. 

-Dave

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Apparently it had the same problem as the original, the 1 and the 4 would not beep!  After all the talks with my son, this recent revelation was the first I had heard of this! 

That would have been good info to have, LOL.  Glad he finally got into it.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, wvu80 said:

The safe is now trashed and unusable.

I was sitting at a bar last week, and a dude was talking about his gun safe... He claimed it was the biggest safe with 9 or something bolt locks around the door, but he still bolted it to the ground... and I listened a little more without mentioning any of the remedies I've heard here... LIKE, hey, do you have a cannon... but he added that he knew thieves knock them over and cut out the bottom first... so it would seem that we should have a video forth-coming of a trashed and unusable safe with a reciprocating saw blade test, compliments of your son's trials and tribulations....

2 hours ago, windashine said:

so it would seem that we should have a video forth-coming of a trashed and unusable safe with a reciprocating saw blade test, compliments of your son's trials and tribulations....

Yeah, I know what you mean.  This was a 400 pound safe, 11 ga steel and at least 6 of those 1" round thick bolts.  We were thinking it would take a specialized high powered carbide tipped circular saw and hours of working on it to get it opened.

He did take several hours to open it but he said now that he knows what he's doing he could open the next one in a half-hour using a drill with regular bits and a simple reciprocating blade Sawzall.

I guess a good safe doesn't keep the bad guys out, it just keeps your friends honest.  B)

@wvu80,

If you don't mind, let us know what the company's settlement is.

Some companies are magnanimous.

I once dropped a JBL tweeter on a concrete floor from the top of a high ladder (I was trying to install it above a projection screen).  My fault -- guarantee void.  At least that's what I expected.  It looked and sounded terrible!  I wrote JBL, who gave me an estimated  price on repair.  I shipped it off, and a few days later a box appeared on my front porch.  Inside was a brand new tweeter, with a new lifetime guarantee, and  note that said, "Your tweeter would have been difficult to repair, so have a new one on us."

An extraordinary tall drinking water delivery guy, carrying a big bottle of water on his shoulder, accidentally tipped it up, and knocked an antique sconce out of a chandelier in our dining room.  The chandelier looked a bit like this. ...image.png.df681eca471cd3dff4871cf238d3453f.png        The sconces were held in place by gravity only, and matched several wall sconces that came with the house.  The water company asked for a photo of one of the remaining sconces, so we sent them one.  They looked for a replacement in antique and salvage stores.  We looked as well, for months.  Several sources said, if we found one, it would cost about $200 - 400.  We contacted some artists/crafts people and one said he could attempt a drip mold, but he said there would be no guarantee it would work, and we would need to pay time and materials anyway (understandably).  The overall cost would be about $800.  We reported this to the water company.  About a month later, we got a letter from them along with a check for $1,500.  The note said, "Here is enough to try the drip mold, and if it doesn't work, use the remainder to buy a conventional lamp."   We ended up buying an ordinary, but nice, lamp at Sears.

Someone bought a new pair of Klipschorns.  Not too long afterward, Klipsch came out with a new model.  He wrote Klipsch, asking how much of an audible difference there was.  He told them if it was significant he would be interested in updating his just purchased Klipschorns.  He got a letter back from Paul Klipsch that indicated that the improvement was subtle, and while he could get an upgrade kit, he might just want to give that amount of money to his favorite charity.

When a dealer delivered (no cost delivery from someone 1 hour away!) a single Belle Klipsch to us to use as a center channel, he wheeled it up some steps into our music room, and the dolly tipped over.  The Belle tumbled off, and fell down the stairs.  Despite good packaging, the interior (K55x, and horn assembly parts) were bent, and it sounded somewhat distorted and scratchy.  The dealer said he would call Klipsch and see what they could do, saying, "I've sold enough stuff for them."  Klipsch replaced it for free.

So, perhaps the safe company would like to make your son happy.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, garyrc said:

If you don't mind, let us know what the company's settlement is.

Some companies are magnanimous.

This Canon safe was purchased second hand via Craigslist but still the company advertises a "lifetime warranty."

My son was disgusted with the Customer No-Service.  They offered little advice and told him that to get the safe open he was on his own.  The best they offered him was a new keypad, which we now know was not problem as advised by Canon.  He wants nothing further to do with that company.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

He wants nothing further to do with that company.

Same thing I was thinking... there are better safe's to be had.. although I don't know which one... but we have a piece of scrap metal to . ahhhh… to.. gather some cutting efficiencies  ie…. and garner thought's about a tumbler next time "around"...

• 10 months later...
On 12/21/2018 at 10:02 PM, wvu80 said:

This is 11 gauge steel.  It's pretty tough.

You'd have to go through the metal itself, you would never be able to cut through those thick bolts, about 6 of them.

+++

He thinks the Pw is reset to 123456.  Working with that assumption now, and he's doing some more factory resets.

A circular saw with a good carbide tipped blade will go  through  it like butter.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2020 at 9:57 PM, oldtimer said:

Nice dredging.

You're welcome. 

On 1/5/2020 at 10:09 PM, carlthess40 said:

Well that sucks. Lol
I have one. Now I know what I need to fix that problem. Lol. That’s crazy. O well, I only use that one to keep non high value items in it so the kids don’t f with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, there was probably a lot of those sold. and that one was way too easy. 

23 hours ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

My safe is slightly larger then the one you had to destroy, but it is now to small for my collection. Plan is to buy a large safe like the largest cabellas sells and convert  this one to an ammo only safe.

I have a couple of old office size safes that I bought from a bank and a business. They are great for pictures, ammo or ... They aren't as pretty nor have electric digital combination locks, but they are a bit thicker than the ones offered at sporting stores.  It's nice to need a larger toy box for our toys. I would like to get a new one soon. 

• Like 1