How Cool Is This!

thebes

So I hit the relatively newly opened Smithsonian African American Museum today.  Wonderful experience recommended to all. Granted I have a certain partiality when it comes to the displays when I get to the Cultural Exhibits Hall.

WhoHoooooooooooooooooo!!!

In addition to The Mothership and Chucj Berry's red convertible Caddy is none other than Lewis Armstrong's trumpet! I almost cried when I saw it and I barked in delight when I came upon a performance jacket worn by Little Richard and Bo Diddley"s guitar!

Even more awesome, Leadbelly's guitar. 

Your Thebes correspondent is happy, happy.

Satchmostrumpet (2).jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Reston, VA. For a good part of the year you still need timed tickets to get in. It's immensely popular.  Tickets are free, of course, this being The Smithsonian. One you see how the exhibits are organized you will appreciate how the normal  tourist Mall mob would not be able to fit itself some of the display areas comfortably. 

• Like 1

Reston, VA. For a good part of the year you still need timed tickets to get in. It's immensely popular.  Tickets are free, of course, this being The Smithsonian. One you see how the exhibits are organized you will appreciate how the normal  tourist Mall mob would not be able to fit itself some of the display areas comfortably. 

I'd be happy to join you for another visit if you're looking to go back. I work about 1.5 miles from there. I have not been (yet).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Moderators

Great idea for a museum, it's been 25 years since we toured all the Smithsonian's. I don't remember one about music at all back then, it's really needed to add to this museum. It would be a great story to trace back each type to explain how each style came about.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, baron167 said:

I'd be happy to join you for another visit if you're looking to go back. I work about 1.5 miles from there. I have not been (yet).

I'd be willing to go again, but probably not until February. Contact me after the holidays and we'll set something. 1.5 miles from the museum eh? That covers a lot of very interesting ground. Let's see East is the Capitol, North is...

I'd be willing to go again, but probably not until February. Contact me after the holidays and we'll set something. 1.5 miles from the museum eh? That covers a lot of very interesting ground. Let's see East is the Capitol, North is...

Great! Will do. I'm at NASA HQ. We should be back open by then lol!

• Haha 1