RF-7 GEN 1 with upgraded DEAN G NETWORKS VS CHORUS II

Jvitti1970

I have the opportunity to get either pair of the these speakers for about the same cost. these would be for strictly music and I like mostly rock and reggae.

how do the 2 differ sonically? I wont be able to compare the 2 as the RF7 are a road trip away and the chorus are local. heard lots of good things about both.

do the upgraded networks in the RF7'S make a big difference?  

Welcome to the Madness

For Rock I would bet the RF-7 would shine.............The Chorus are great to though with pretty much any genre. I hate to say it but it will boil down to YOUR preference In sound. The upgraded Networks will make a difference but you wont know that as you did not hear them before the network upgrade. 

I've owned both (stock crossovers) and I would vote chorus. So much more detail in the 3-way chorus. The tractrix horns are great. I was extremely disappointed in the rf7. I had to hook up a 200 watts per channel amp just to hear vocals better.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dtr20 said:

I was extremely disappointed in the rf7. I had to hook up a 200 watts per channel amp just to hear vocals better.

That was my impression when I had a pair of original 7's, had my 200 watt Sunfire Receiver driving them and seemed under-powered, really don't know how people drive them with lower watt AVR's. 

The best choices I believe would be the chorus. Personally I never could listen to a two way for long periods of time. I have quartets, the smallest in the line and it does a very good job with raggae at moderate to high volume. 

With the higher effencency of chorus , aught to get you there.

Cornwall with a sub would be a different. 

Ch2's in good shape average about $732.  I'm not sure what RF-7 I's go for, probably near the same money.

The difference between the two technically is the Ch2 is a 3-way and the RF-7 is a two-way.  I've not heard the Chorus II's so I hesitate to say which is best for the kind of music you like.  I'd follow the suggestions of those who have owned them.

Best way to go, buy both and compare. Keep the model you like best.

I have both DeanG modded RF-7s (90% movies) and stock Chorus IIs (music). IMO, the Chorus II presents vocals better because of its midrange horn. I'm not saying the 7 is poor with vocals, just different. Modding the 7s made a very nice change to my ears.

If you choose to only buy one pair and you're upgrading from a smaller speaker, you'll like what you hear no matter which you choose.

Here is some more reading on this:

• Like 1

for what it is worth two ten inch woofers are never going to equal a single fifteen inch woofer. They simply do not have the piston area of a fifteen. Further you have a larger mid horn in the Chorus ll.   If you want a bump in performance just upgrade your Chorus. You can start by adding some brace work to the cabinets especially the front and rear baffle. After that there is a lot you can do but that will be a good place to start.

For rock and reggae I'd go with the Chorus ... as James said, you cannot beat the 15" woofer :)  I have (modified) RF-7's ... nice but not even close to 15" Pro woofers (in my KPT-904's  ...  think they are the almost the same as the Chorus II ones).

Cheers, Emile

Modified how? Curious, because tacking on that extra resistor isn’t the same as doing the whole high pass. 

Two 10’s have about the same or more surface area than a 15. The passive radiator is basically a port. 

The Chorus II always sounds boomy when I hear it. I actually think the Forte II sounds more balanced with a tighter bass. 

2 hours ago, Deang said:

The Chorus II always sounds boomy when I hear it.

Not nearly as boomy as a Cornwall.

I had a pair of Chorus II here for a week or so and liked them a lot. Unfortunately they were just passing thru with the Klipsch express.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Marvel said:

[Chorus II is] Not nearly as boomy as a Cornwall.

That was my experience as well. Cornwall bass (in a stock vertical decorator) sounded uncontrolled at higher volume settings compared to a stock Chorus II.

21 hours ago, Deang said:

The Chorus II always sounds boomy when I hear it. I actually think the Forte II sounds more balanced with a tighter bass.

I must like a slight 'boom' in the low end.

After comparing Forte II and Chorus II side by side I liked the Chorus II better. Not by leaps and bounds, just better.

Sorry for getting off topic. Back to the RF-7 / Chorus II thoughts.

It's been a long time since my Chorus IIs and DeanG'd RF-7s have been in the same room for a back and forth. Should do that again soon.

• Like 1

Since I moved to the tiny house on the farm 7 years ago the Dean modded Chorus IIs have been in storage. In 2019 they will get back in play once an addition is complete. I have only heard stock RF 7.

The Chorus II is a piece of history being said it was the last speaker design PWK was actively involved in.

No wrong answer here. If I never found the Chorus IIs and bought RF 7 which were under consideration I probably would have sold them in the downsizing process.