Onkyo AVR - Free money! $146

wvu80

EDITED:  Bottom Line:  I am not going to buy a new Onkyo.  If anyone is in the market for an Onk and wants the FREE $146 from my rebate let me know.  You must be a known Forum member with at least 100 posts.  (if you are close, PM me)

https://care.onkyousa.com/na/003_2012.php?country=USA

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Onkyo has a trade-in program for those who had the well known HDMI daughterboard failure from a few years ago.  There is one week left to take advantage of their program which expires 12/31/18.

Two Questions:

Question 1:  I think Onk does NOT want the old defective unit back, just the serial number tag on the back of the unit.  Am I reading this right?

Valid for USA Customers only.

YOUR QUALIFYING TRADE IN UNIT's SERIAL NUMBER LABEL MUST BE RETURNED TO ONKYO USA WITHIN 10 BUSINESS DAYS OF THE RECEIPT OF YOUR ORDER OR YOU WILL BE CHARGED THE DIFFERENCE FOR THE FULL MANUFACTURERS SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE OF THE REPLACEMENT UNIT

Customer Responsibility

1. Customers must provide full details in this Trade-in request to minimize processing time and ensure accurate delivery of the trade-in unit. This includes shipping address, contact person, phone number, email address, etc.

2. Customer must provide ONKYO with valid Credit Card information to guarantee that the eligible unit's SERIAL NUMBER LABEL is returned.

3. Customer must return the qualifying TRADE IN UNIT's SERIAL NUMBER LABEL using a self-addressed envelope within 10 business days of receipt of the new replacement unit. (bolding mine)

Here are the models you must choose from:

https://care.onkyousa.com/na/003_2012.php?country=USA

Second Question:

There are five Onk AVR's which are eligible for purchase in the program, directly from Onk.  I compared the Onk pricing to Amazon.  I can save $54 on the lowest priced unit and $250 (corrected: $195 on the RZ-730) on the RZ-730.  The NZ series is considered a better AVR than the NR series.  The RZ-730 looks like the best price savings, but I really don't need any of them, but I can't pass up a deal.  I can afford any of them maybe for a future build.  Which one would you get?

image.png.9b1a329f42fa7f1ee00c75b47753e0a0.png

40 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Onkyo has a trade-in program for those who had the well known HDMI daughterboard failure from a few years ago.  There is one week left to take advantage of their program which expires 12/31/18.

Two Questions:

Question 1:  I think Onk does NOT want the old defective unit back, just the serial number tag on the back of the unit.  Am I reading this right?

Second Question:

There are five Onk AVR's which are eligible for purchase in the program, directly from Onk.  I compared the Onk pricing to Amazon.  I can save $54 on the lowest priced unit and $250 on the one with the max difference.  The NZ series is considered a better AVR than the NR series.  The RZ-730 looks like the best price savings, but I really don't need any of them, but I can't pass up a deal.  I can afford any of them maybe for a future build.  Which one would you get?

image.png.9b1a329f42fa7f1ee00c75b47753e0a0.png

the ? is what are you waiting for...

call the # 1-800-229-1687.

3 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

next ? is I would try something other 

than onkyo.... but it looks like you have no choice....

First of all, the only choice is within the five options I listed.  I only found out about the upgrade program earlier today.

In terms of what I want, if I can buy a new AVR with a $250 discount that is a significant savings.  If I can keep the old AVR then I think I might go for a new one, although I don't know which one.  If I'm just buying a new AVR with a $250 discount I would pass.

1 minute ago, wvu80 said:

First of all, the only choice is within the five options I listed.  I only found out about the upgrade program earlier today.

In terms of what I want, if I can buy a new AVR with a $250 discount that is a significant savings.  If I can keep the old AVR then I think I might go for a new one, although I don't know which one.  If I'm just buying a new AVR with a $250 discount I would pass.

then did you call the number and clarify

how the program works ?

7 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

then did you call the number and clarify how the program works ?

On the website they want some personally identifiable information.  I want my answer and remain off their radar until I've made a decision.

I'll call the number during regular business hours during the week.  This is Sunday and I thought maybe someone here had some some experience with the program and I could get some preliminary information.

5 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

On the website they want some personally identifiable information.  I want my answer and remain off their radar until I've made a decision.

I'll call the number during regular business hours during the week.  This is Sunday and I thought maybe someone here some some experience with the program and I could get some preliminary information.

https://slickdeals.net/f/11495999-some-older-onkyo-receivers-w-loss-of-audio-network-connection-free-repair-trade-in-rebate

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1652514-onkyo-acknowledges-failed-units-extending-warrranties-until-2018-a.html

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 314carpenter said:

3 business days remaining. Time to get out of stealth mode and get what you can.

Back to my original question then.  I don't know anything about the five eligible models I listed in Post#1.  Do I go with the model in which I can get the biggest discount, aka biggest bang-for-the-buck?  Should I get the best one?  Cheapest one as a back up?

Which would you get, and why?