Direct Mode and MQA Help

Benjie

I just received my new Meridian Explorer 2 DAC and can now unfold MQA files to get the full Monty.

question 1: I’m going into my receivers analog input instead of using the digital Toslink input. Is this the right thing to do. I’m thinking this keeps it from going thru my receivers DAC. 

Question 2: there seems to be a huge difference in my Direct Mode while listening to MQA files. Is this normal. When listening in Direct Mode the music is brighter and wider with much less low end. I really like to feel the music so I like some bass in 2 channel. Is this normal??

IMG_0393.PNG

1 hour ago, Schu said:

Direct or pure direct...

I would think bipassing an avrs Digital conversion is a good thing to do unless you have a very hi end avr... and maybe not even then

I have a new Cambridge CXR120. To me the more I listen I like the music much more with Direct “Off.”

The Roon signal path looks correct - it is sending MQA to the Meridian for it to decode, then on to the analog outputs (not toslink) to your AVR.  According to the CXR120 manual, direct mode will "bypass any DSP, Bass/Treble controls and multichannel post processing."  So as Schu says, you must like some sort of processing or tone enhancements the AVR is doing to the analog feed from the Meridian.

Do you have a sub?  Direct mode on the CXR120, if it is truly direct, will not output anything to the sub which may explain why it sounds brighter with less bottom end.