Value Turntable Options

KeithMcGowan

Hi all:

I am putting together two identical stereos for my kids. I bought a couple refurbed NAD D3020 Integrated Amps with phono and have them set up with some older RB-5II that haven't been used in years but sounds great.

I am hoping to get recommendations on a good value turntable. I don't need a preamp included and just want a good bang for the buck option for a first table.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Keith

27 minutes ago, KeithMcGowan said:

Hi all:

I am putting together two identical stereos for my kids. I bought a couple refurbed NAD D3020 Integrated Amps with phono and have them set up with some older RB-5II that haven't been used in years but sounds great.

I am hoping to get recommendations on a good value turntable. I don't need a preamp included and just want a good bang for the buck option for a first table.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Keith

Fully automatic, semi-auto or manual?

1 hour ago, billybob said:

Wow, sounds like happy kids. Are you looking for used or new? There is a new quality table out there a member here got recently. Just need to remember now. A nice value.

Thanks, just sharing with them what I love. I'm not too concerned with new or used but they need to be identical. They both keep score unfortunately. :) 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, joshnich said:

This looks like the perfect option.

• Like 2

Hmmmmmm basic tables Keith?  Both the same?  I'm clueless, but let me throw this into the mix...  If my sister and I had identical tables and I screwed up my cartridge doing something stupid would I sneak my table in and switch it with hers?  Bwa ha ha...  Moi???  NEVAH!  *coughs*  Have fun w/that thought man!  😂

• Haha 2

Here is a copy of an ebay guide that I found to be quite useful in the past on the subject of "bang-for-buck" turntables (I bought an old Empire 398 based on these recommendations):

Turntables-What should you buy.pdf

EDIT: Found it on the Wayback Machine: 

https://web.archive.org/web/20110218065819/http://reviews.ebay.com/Turntables-What-should-you-buy_W0QQugidZ10000000002161529

Chris

5 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

Hmmmmmm basic tables Keith?  Both the same?  I'm clueless, but let me throw this into the mix...  If my sister and I had identical tables and I screwed up my cartridge doing something stupid would I sneak my table in and switch it with hers?  Bwa ha ha...  Moi???  NEVAH!  *coughs*  Have fun w/that thought man!  😂

hahaha I definitely did not think this through!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Chris A said:

Here is a copy of an ebay guide that I found to be quite useful in the past on the subject of "bang-for-buck" turntables (I bought an old Empire 398 based on these recommendations):

Turntables-What should you buy.pdf

EDIT: Found it on the Wayback Machine: 

https://web.archive.org/web/20110218065819/http://reviews.ebay.com/Turntables-What-should-you-buy_W0QQugidZ10000000002161529

Chris

Hey Chris,

Thanks for posting. That is a really informative guide on turntables that I found really useful. I don't think it would have change my purchasing decision but tons of great information. I actually have one of the vintage idler drive Thorens 124s that he mentions specifically in the guide. I inherited it from my uncle and is a really cool piece of engineering. These tables rebuilt easily compete with high end table made today. A project for the future but cool that it was mentioned.

Thanks again.

Keith

I was ready to pull the triger on one of the U-turn tables but ended up with a used Technics SL1200Mk II for zero dollars. Still think they have a great range of tables at a good price.

What carts did you get for them? I got an Ortofon Red for my Technics and it sounds fine to me after I wortked through a few LPs.

I'm sure the sisters will love them.

Bruce