Center Channel Recommendation

Traveling Man

The Academy center speaker was available in a Walnut finish.  For a traditional {horizontally mounted} center speaker, it is the best match that Klipsch has made.  That being said, the Academy itself is a somewhat rare center speaker to come across in the used market.  I don't recall ever seeing one in Walnut myself.  Black and Oak are all I've seen.  I own a black one.

If you have room, or if you don't and are willing to do some reconfiguring, a third Cornwall would be the absolute best match.  After that, a Heresy would be an excellent choice as well.

If you don't mind your center being a tad clearer than your LF & RF, use a La Scala II.  It would make the dialog very clear, I would think.

Or, for a perfect match, a Cormwall III.  Come to think of it, another Cornwall III would be the safest, timbre-wise.

You may want to contact Klipsch  and see what they might have to say. The path I took with my forte II's  was a klf-c7 as others have because of the scarcity of the Academy.

If you are by chance new to Klipsch the Academy was the mate to the Quartet, forte I & II and Chorus I & II of that period. At that time the Chorus was the replacement for the Cornwall model. 

A single Heresy would work well too and fit under a TV better than some other options. You wont have lobing issues that traditional horizontal centers are prone to as well. Its rare to find a single but see if there a a pair on CL. Post a thread seeing if any forum members in your area are willing to split the cost and each take one. You can even find a cheap pair that might be beat up and simply cover the front with acoustic fabric to have it blend into your HT system. In the meantime,  I would go into your AVR settings and set your center to 'off' or 'phantom'. The center info will route to your mains and the stereo imaging will put the voices on the screen, you will actually be surprised on how good this sounds as long as you are sitting between the two speakers.

17 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

The Academy center speaker was available in a Walnut finish.  For a traditional {horizontally mounted} center speaker, it is the best match that Klipsch has made.  That being said, the Academy itself is a somewhat rare center speaker to come across in the used market.  I don't recall ever seeing one in Walnut myself.  Black and Oak are all I've seen.  I own a black one.

If you have room, or if you don't and are willing to do some reconfiguring, a third Cornwall would be the absolute best match.  After that, a Heresy would be an excellent choice as well.

Thanks for the reply, I was considering the Klipsch RC-64 III but it is like apples to oranges in comparison. 

15 hours ago, garyrc said:

If you don't mind your center being a tad clearer than your LF & RF, use a La Scala II.  It would make the dialog very clear, I would think.

Or, for a perfect match, a Cormwall III.  Come to think of it, another Cornwall III would be the safest, timbre-wise.

I am looking for a more traditional type center channel. Ironic as it is, the Cornwall was designed as a center speaker. I really do not have the room for even a Hersey in the center. Thank you for you input though.

7 hours ago, Alexander said:

You may want to contact Klipsch  and see what they might have to say. The path I took with my forte II's  was a klf-c7 as others have because of the scarcity of the Academy.

If you are by chance new to Klipsch the Academy was the mate to the Quartet, forte I & II and Chorus I & II of that period. At that time the Chorus was the replacement for the Cornwall model. 

Alexander, I agree and I will reach out to Klipsch. I guess I was looking for an upgrade option and on a Klipsch forum Klipsch would be the logical option. I am partial to the design anyway. Thank you and Happy New Year

6 hours ago, twk123 said:

A single Heresy would work well too and fit under a TV better than some other options. You wont have lobing issues that traditional horizontal centers are prone to as well. Its rare to find a single but see if there a a pair on CL. Post a thread seeing if any forum members in your area are willing to split the cost and each take one. You can even find a cheap pair that might be beat up and simply cover the front with acoustic fabric to have it blend into your HT system. In the meantime,  I would go into your AVR settings and set your center to 'off' or 'phantom'. The center info will route to your mains and the stereo imaging will put the voices on the screen, you will actually be surprised on how good this sounds as long as you are sitting between the two speakers.

I am going to try this, the center channel is not horrible but it does sometimes overwhelm the Cornwalls. Thank you and Happy New Year