Roomba and Cornwall IIIs

Ouachita

This may be a bit of an odd question.  Does anyone have a Roomba?

I have a Roomba i7 on the way and am concerned about allowing it to bump into my front stage which consists of a pair of walnut Cornwall IIIs and a Heresy III center.  The veneer on these speakers is factory fresh, pristine.  

There is a way to prevent the roomba from bumping up against them with their "virtual wall" devices, but at the same time I would like it to clean as close as possible to them as well.  Am I being overly paranoid? 

Do any other forum members have a Roomba that allows it to clean and bump up against their speakers?

Thanks for any advice.

I've seen peoples furniture definitely contain marks in the wood where the Roomba banged into the base of china cabinets and hutches.  Wasn't pretty what it did to the wood.  Hopefully they have done a better job with the firmware to make them more gentle.

Sorry no answer.

I have a Shark ION.  It cleans around khorn,  klf-30,  rsw-15, chorus ll, Cornwall, etc.  It bumps sometimes but it has a soft shock bumper and has never left a mark.  The i7 is more sophisticated than the shark and I assume it's sensors are even better.

If I were in your place, I’d add some kind of protective pads to the lower parts of your speakers, because seeing marks on a formerly pristine speaker is really discouraging.  Trusting software/firmware to always get the clearance or bump/no bump right every time would test my confidence a bit too much.

Just a double-thick strip of cardboard should do the job, but it would not look great if it was installed full-time.  Would it be practical to put on something like that for vacuuming day, or do you vacuum frequently enough to find that impractical?

Going the other way, maybe installing some kind of soft bumper or surround on the vacuum might give you peace of mind.

I am always amazed at how lazy we humans can be. With all the technology we have at our disposal, we utilize it to do less and less. I too am guilty of this. I am in possession of several remote controls, because it just seems to be too troublesome to get up off my butt and push buttons or turn dials. I do still vacuum. Probably not as often as I should. Maybe I should look into a roomba.

I too think that you should put up some protective barrier.

Tom

What appeals to me about the roomba is its ability get under beds and other furniture and vacuum on a schedule while I'm at work.

As for the speakers - I have ordered a couple of their "virtual walls" to prevent the roomba from bumping the speakers.  Thanks for everyone's advice.

Roomba's are cool, especially when you see them disappear under the bed and do their thing. My speakers sit on 18" sq. by 2" paver stones, mostly because I want to do what I can to elevate them.   The Roomba can crash into them all day long, never touching the speakers, no matter how hard they try. 😀 Though mine has been out of action for awhile.  Perhaps, you can find something room friendly to rest your speakers on, for another alternative. 

• 3 weeks later...

We have a Roomba and I really like how it keeps the floor free of fur since we have a beast of a dog. I think the wall barriers will do just fine if you're worried about the robot bumping into stuff and all. I also like how it works with carpets. Our chow likes to rub his tummy on the carpet, it's crazy, he leaves a lot of hair afterwards. Roomba doesn't really suck everything in, but probably around 85%. You might want to read further about it though and see for yourself. Just a heads up, you might want to prep yourself with the noise. lol. Though I'm not exactly aware yet of how the i7 would sound when it runs, but our 960 cleans quite loudly.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, USNRET said:

We have one as well. I use the virtual wall light house  to protect my CIIIs.

I was going to suggest that.  Honestly, when ours touches something it's a very light touch.  The side of the machine that touches compresses and it changes direction.  It's not like you shot a hockey puck at something.

• Haha 1

=== own one, no. Been in several homes when they are working, yes. In my opinion it’s like comparing a small bookshelf speaker to a KHorn. Sure it does it’s job as best it’s design allows but in comparison to a “real” vacuum - I’ll just keep vacuuming thank you—

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

I was going to suggest that.  Honestly, when ours touches something it's a very light touch.  The side of the machine that touches compresses and it changes direction.  It's not like you shot a hockey puck at something.

Yes, it's a light touch but I cringed every time. We had two of the light houses and I bought two more off the epray for $39.95

4 minutes ago, USNRET said:

You should get the robotic mop as well. I hate both and the wife loves them missing the whole house vacuum in the old place.

My brother has the mop that he uses in his whole house.  Of course, the floors in his entire house are stained concrete.