KV3 lifespan

trajays

Been using the KV3 center channel for close to 20 yrs and while haven't used it for 20 yrs straight, been using it for the last 18 mths and not sure if the decreasing clarity of voices is due to the speaker nearing the end of its lifespan or due to my decreasing hearing. Ugh. Looking at the r-34c as a replacement but not sure if I NEED to buy the upgraded speaker. Any thoughts on just normal degradation of parts being the reason for decreased clarity? Thanks in advance for any and all replies. 

Without knowing the crossover in the KV3, it is hard to tell... Yes, part of it could be due to hearing loss/changes.

If you have had the KV3 for 20 years, the capacitors  may be degrading.  Usually this means a higher ESR (equivalent series resistance), which will cause a change in the freq. response of the speaker. It depends on the quality and type of caps in your center's crossover.

Bruce

I would look into recapping the crossover. That center channel is a great speaker for its size. I used one for awhile until I upgraded to my klf-c7. I would definitely advise against replacing it with the r34c (cheaper best buy reference line). Look into the reference premier line for a good modern center channel from klipsch. What are your main speakers that you are using? 

4 hours ago, dtr20 said:

I would look into recapping the crossover. That center channel is a great speaker for its size. I used one for awhile until I upgraded to my klf-c7. I would definitely advise against replacing it with the r34c (cheaper best buy reference line). Look into the reference premier line for a good modern center channel from klipsch. What are your main speakers that you are using? 

I have kg4s that I bought back in 1987 that still, IMO, sound great.  How would I go about finding an electronics store that is knowledgeable about recapping the crossover on this speaker.  Also, thanks for the recommendation on the premier line for a better center channel.

Edited by trajays

1 hour ago, dtr20 said:

Where are you located? 

Omaha, NE...I did a search and found a local electronics store that sells Klipsch so plan to head there to talk to an associate to see if they can help with the crossover issue.  Also, I'm looking at buying the RP-500C center channel speaker per your recommendation.

While I'm sure the rp-500c is a good center channel, I think the kv3 will match your kg4 speakers closer compared to the reference premier. If you are thinking about replacing your main speakers as well, then by all means, go for it. If you are staying with the the kg4s, recapping the kv3 should be as better decision, as well as cheaper.

Contact @BEC Bob Crites about recapping your crossover. He doesn't list it on his site, but I'm sure you guys could work out something. If he will do it, all you need to do is pay him and ship him your crossover and he will dp the work. Good luck

https://critesspeakers.com

On 12/30/2018 at 6:50 PM, dtr20 said:

While I'm sure the rp-500c is a good center channel, I think the kv3 will match your kg4 speakers closer compared to the reference premier. If you are thinking about replacing your main speakers as well, then by all means, go for it. If you are staying with the the kg4s, recapping the kv3 should be as better decision, as well as cheaper.

Contact @BEC Bob Crites about recapping your crossover. He doesn't list it on his site, but I'm sure you guys could work out something. If he will do it, all you need to do is pay him and ship him your crossover and he will dp the work. Good luck

Thank you very much for all of your info and recommendations! I will contact him asap to discuss this with him. Happy New Year!

On 12/30/2018 at 3:50 PM, dtr20 said:

⬆️⬆️⬆️ Ordered new x/o's for my KG-4's from Bob & sent him my KG-1 x/o's for upgrading even though he had never seen the KG-1 board before.  Night & day difference in my KG-4's and a definite improvement with the KG-1's.  Will be ordering new x/o's for my Quartets soon. Been looking for an Academy as a center for the KG-4's as they are suppose to be the closest for timbre match.