New La Scala Tweeters need break-in?

JFHSQT

I have recently had both tweeters in my La Scala IIs replaced by Klipsch under warranty. It's been 7 days with the new tweeters, averaging about 3-5 hours/day of listening, but I am feeling that there is a bit of crispy sizzle in the top end that I hadn't noticed with my old tweeters. For example, a high hat featured prominently in a mix now sounds a little sizzley whereas before I feel like it was more detailed and less forward. 

I've run a burn in track on the speakers while spending 10 hours at work for the past couple of days. Is this new "sizzle" just a byproduct of me getting accustomed to having tweeters again, or should I expect to break these new tweeters in further to get the sound I thought I was getting from the old tweeters?

The factory ate the repairs on a pair of La Scala ii’s? I assume you are original owner. 

The drivers should be the same. But may have changed a little over the years. The phenolic diaphragms may have degraded in your old tweeters after 10+ years too.

I heard a little break in on my LS ii. But seemed over at less than 50 hours. 

Give them another week. 

• Thanks 1

I blew 1 of my LSII tweeters about a week before you did yours in. I've had a factory replacement in for about 3weeks now. When first installed I found the new one brighter,crisper?  than the old one. It took about 2 weeks for them to lvl out, but I still think the new one sounds just a lil..well newer? lol

Any how I received a set of Crites CT120'sjust waiting on the z brackets that I didn't order with the tweets 😳 doh!  Hoping they will be in by Monday.

Back to original question, yes I do think thers a burn in time, give it another week :)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Panelhead said:

The factory ate the repairs on a pair of La Scala ii’s? I assume you are original owner. 

The drivers should be the same. But may have changed a little over the years. The phenolic diaphragms may have degraded in your old tweeters after 10+ years too.

I heard a little break in on my LS iii. But seemed over at less than 50 hours. 

Give them another week. 

Yes, they were actually less than 6 months old, so the repair was covered under warranty. The dealer actually came out to my house and did the install themselves. I'll continue to run music through the next week and see how they sound!

13 minutes ago, RadBlue said:

I blew 1 of my LSII tweeters about a week before you did yours in. I've had a factory replacement in for about 3weeks now. When first installed I found the new one brighter,crisper?  than the old one. It took about 2 weeks for them to lvl out, but I still think the new one sounds just a lil..well newer? lol

Any how I received a set of Crites CT120'sjust waiting on the z brackets that I didn't order with the tweets 😳 doh!  Hoping they will be in by Monday.

Back to original question, yes I do think thers a burn in time, give it another week :)

Crisper is a good word for it. The hi hats, cymbals, and some piano frequencies all do sound a bit sizzle-y and crispy. Interested in hearing your experience going from the factory tweets to the CT120s. 

I also had some other upgrades in the time being since I was tweeter-less... added a Luxman DA-06 DAC to swap out with my Hegel HD30 and also a new Innuos Zen MK III music server. So all the system changes make it kind of hard to bird-dog where the changes I'm hearing are coming from.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Panelhead said:

I heard a little break in on my LS iii. But seemed over at less than 50 hours. 

Give them another week. 

Lascala III??

8 hours ago, JFHSQT said:

I have recently had both tweeters in my La Scala IIs replaced by Klipsch under warranty. It's been 7 days with the new tweeters, averaging about 3-5 hours/day of listening, but I am feeling that there is a bit of crispy sizzle in the top end that I hadn't noticed with my old tweeters. For example, a high hat featured prominently in a mix now sounds a little sizzley whereas before I feel like it was more detailed and less forward. 

I've run a burn in track on the speakers while spending 10 hours at work for the past couple of days. Is this new "sizzle" just a byproduct of me getting accustomed to having tweeters again, or should I expect to break these new tweeters in further to get the sound I thought I was getting from the old tweeters?

Are yours set up for bi-wire?

Break-in?  How many million cycles at 10k would you get in an hour?  How many hundred cycles does break-in take? 

I've seen 3 dB difference between 2 of the same drivers.  One dB would be inaudible except in a side by side test and then just, but it would change the "flavor" of the sound. 

Your new tweeters were broken in in the first hour.  Sounds like your new tweeters are on the hot side of spec.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well I dragged 3 different DACs and an old Mac Mini out of storage this evening and narrowed down the issue and it ended up not being the tweeters after all. Seems my USB DAC input on my Luxman DA-06 was misbehaving. It almost seemed to be clipping at certain points. I think it was a combination of DSP settings between the Luxman and Roon. Anyway I seem to have sorted everything out and the whole system is sounding much better now 4 hours later!

• Like 3

On 12/28/2018 at 11:36 AM, JFHSQT said:

Crisper is a good word for it. The hi hats, cymbals, and some piano frequencies all do sound a bit sizzle-y and crispy. Interested in hearing your experience going from the factory tweets to the CT120s. 

I also had some other upgrades in the time being since I was tweeter-less... added a Luxman DA-06 DAC to swap out with my Hegel HD30 and also a new Innuos Zen MK III music server. So all the system changes make it kind of hard to bird-dog where the changes I'm hearing are coming from.

Got my Z-brackets yesterday and installed the CT120's. I've  only managed some 8 hrs listening since then so for now I'll just put up some preliminary POI's.

1. I set my trebble to flat and so far haven't had the urge to raise it ( big plus for me)

2. While I'm hearing more in the hi's I'm not getting anything sizzley  , very smooth sound.

3. Definitely consider these to be an Upgrade in SQ so far.

I'll try to post more details this weekend, I'm off work for a while so will have lots of time to listen this week.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2019 at 9:08 PM, RadBlue said:

Got my Z-brackets yesterday and installed the CT120's. I've  only managed some 8 hrs listening since then so for now I'll just put up some preliminary POI's.

1. I set my trebble to flat and so far haven't had the urge to raise it ( big plus for me)

2. While I'm hearing more in the hi's I'm not getting anything sizzley  , very smooth sound.

3. Definitely consider these to be an Upgrade in SQ so far.

I'll try to post more details this weekend, I'm off work for a while so will have lots of time to listen this week.

Good to hear the CT120s are working out for you!

After spending hours swapping out gear and driving myself insane over the Christmas holiday, I came to the conclusion that the sizzley top end in my system was a combination of components and source material and not the new tweeters. I had 3 different DACs, a new streamer, and had added back in my Anthem AVR as a preamp in my L-509X to boot, so it's no wonder the sound was disorienting.

After a week of heavy eBay selling, I have now offloaded about $5500 worth of equipment and narrowed my rig down to the Luxman L-509X, CL-40 preamp, DA-06 DAC, and Innuos Zen. Everything sounds better than ever now, and my La Scala IIs are back to their former glory.

• Like 1