KnuKoncept speaker wire

Harleywood

My brother built a new addition and wired his house for 7 channel surround with knu concept 8 gauge wire at least 5 years ago, and it is over kill. I can't say too much because I have 10 gauge silver plated copper. It's all just a bunch of bull crap and bragging rights, no real benefit to it.

Rog

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/4/2019 at 8:18 AM, Khornukopia said:

What about leaving the set screws out and soldering the wire in the receptacle?

Thought about that but have since ordered the Kord cable in 12 gauge. Have that installed now and sounds just as good as the 8 gauge stuff and much easier to work with. At least now I know that a larger cable size is not always better unless it's needed to combat signal loss over long runs. 

On 1/3/2019 at 5:36 AM, Harleywood said:

Well I'll be ordering some of the Kord wire today in either 10 or 12 gauge. The bananas I have accept up to 8 gauge but you can't screw the set screws in far enough to get the barrel back on. I went ahead and installed them anyway and just wrapped the connection with electrical tape so I could give them a listen. They sound great but any sonic improvement is minimal at best compared to what I was using. I have to change them out though. I don't particularly like the idea of having them wrapped in tape. The RCA cable is great. No difference in soundstage compared to the Big Sur and dead quite as well. 

I also use the Knukonceptz Karma Kable, and I’m really happy with it.  The JubScalas are bi-amped, so that calls for two runs of cable.  Years ago, before I even got my first Klipsch speakers (La Scalas), I got the 8 gauge cable for the Audio Logic speakers I was using at the time, because I figured that the big size would have pretty much the least possible resistance, plus it would preserve the damping factor of the receiver better than a smaller size would.  The amplifier would have better control over the drivers.  That sounded logical, and after they arrived and were installed, I was very happy with the results.  The amp was able to produce more realistic dynamics, which was great, and the overall sound was pleasing.  They also sounded fine with the La Scalas.

When I did the JubScala conversion, I went with the 10 gauge Karma Kable to power the tweeters, figuring that would be big enough, but if I were to do it over, I would get the 8 gauge again.

As for the issue with the bananas, I also found that with the 8 gauge Karma Kable, the set screws stuck out far enough that the barrels would not fit back on.  The solution was to use heat shrink tubing to cover the back halves of the banana connectors, plus a bit of the cable.  It looks tidy and safe, and so far, after 14 years or so, none of the set screws have backed off.  Heat shrink tubing even comes in various colours, so you could go with Red for positive, or for the right channel, for example.

On 1/4/2019 at 4:02 AM, Dave A said:

I like 12g 300' spools from Monoprice for $90 delivered when on sale. Nice flexible small stranded wire with a clearly visible tracer.

Ive heard its good stuff but saw online somewhere that the wire turns green after awhile. Wont hurt the sound but thats why I like wire that is not clear so the wire inside is not visible. Not sure its even a real problem but did not want to take the chance.

On 1/25/2019 at 7:36 AM, mr clean said:

Ive heard its good stuff but saw online somewhere that the wire turns green after awhile. Wont hurt the sound but thats why I like wire that is not clear so the wire inside is not visible. Not sure its even a real problem but did not want to take the chance.

The Knukonceptz Karma Kable is tin-plated high purity copper that should never corrode or oxidize.  Tin-plated copper also shows up in some very high end cables.

• 3 months later...
On 12/28/2018 at 2:18 PM, jason str said:

I have a set of 8 gauge jumper cables, they work great.

I have 8awg to my 12" Sub in my Grand Caravan!

12awg to my La Scalas, and 14awg to my ADCOM Speaker Switch, then 14awg to my Heresys and JBL Control X's Weather Resistants out under my deck!

Problem with the larger stranded wire diameters is getting ALL the strands into any terminals! ADCOMs can handle 14awg OK, but scoff at 12awg's so I end up cutting a few strands off to lower the stranded twisted diameter to get them INTO the ADCOM's speaker switch terminals and the spade/loop solder-ons to my La Scalas even!! BummerMAN! 😞

John Kuthe...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, glens said:

1/2" of #14 isn't going to degrade 12' of #12 enough to write home about.

It's a BOTTLENECK of slightly higher resistance from amp to driver coil. Why run heavier awg in the first place?

I'm a EE, wanna argue electronics? Granted we are splitting hairs, but so was Paul W. Klipsch!

John Kuthe...

55 minutes ago, JohnKuthe said:

It's a BOTTLENECK of slightly higher resistance from amp to driver coil. Why run heavier awg in the first place?

I'm a EE, wanna argue electronics? Granted we are splitting hairs, but so was Paul W. Klipsch.

Okay, EE, should be easy for you to do the math and show your work.  Granted, it'd be a bottleneck, but a quite, very, extremely insignificant one.  What're the spreads in resistance (and ampacity) between 12' each of #12 and #14 and the quantity (11.96' of #12 + 0.04' of #14)?  I'm going to guess off-the-cuff that the combinational run will wind up above 95% of the way towards the full #12 run from the full #14 run.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, glens said:

Okay, EE, should be easy for you to do the math and show your work.  Granted, it'd be a bottleneck, but a quite, very, extremely insignificant one.  What're the spreads in resistance (and ampacity) between 12' each of #12 and #14 and the quantity (11.96' of #12 + 0.04' of #14)?  I'm going to guess off-the-cuff that the combinational run will wind up above 95% of the way towards the full #12 run from the full #14 run.

Basically yes, a VERY INSIGNIFICANT Difference, but a DETECTABLE Difference!

And wasn't;'t that what Paul W. Klipsch was all about too? The last possible Nth degree towards PERFECT audio reproduction?

John Kuthe...

On 12/29/2018 at 9:38 AM, DizRotus said:

Welding is near impossible with 16g.

Or jump starting a locomotive. The description on the web is mostly BS. But, unlike the $15,000/pair wires that are sold to the rich and ignorant, this brand isn't too bad of a value for the paranoid delusional "copper heads." You should bi wire your tweeters with this stuff, just in case....................................