avr changes sound at high level

pdasterly

2 hours ago, pdasterly said:

once my avr get to certain sound level it seems to back off the sound quality. Is this normal? 

22 minutes ago, pdasterly said:

rf-7 iii, 2 xpa-1 monoblocks. Room is 25x11

The XPA-1 is a 500 watt monoblock, not an AVR.   Good grief, there is no way it should clip going into a speaker as sensitive as a RF-7 III, in a room that size --- maybe you are using an AVR as a preamp, going from the "pre outs" to the XPA-1s ... is that the case?

To answer your question, there would be a gradual increase in distortion as you turn the sound up.   But that should be barely audible (below clipping) if audible at all.  So it's not normal.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, pdasterly said:

rf-7 iii, 2 xpa-1 monoblocks. Room is 25x11

yamaha rx-a2060, it does it with ypao on or off

In addition to regular YPAO your receiver also has YPAO Volume, Eco Mode, High-Resolution Music Enhancer, etc.  Somewhere in the receiver there's a setting that's turned on that's causing what you're hearing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

In addition to regular YPAO your receiver also has YPAO Volume, Eco Mode, High-Resolution Music Enhancer, etc.  Somewhere in the receiver there's a setting that's turned on that's causing what you're hearing.

eco mode off, ill try the enchancer settings

15 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

enhancer off seamed to resolve issue

• Like 2

I don’t know how loud you’re listening, but don’t get carried away. I’ve lost count of the number of customers I had that wore hearing aids because of the constant abuse they exposed their ears to. 

Also, power compression. There is a point at which your speakers don’t really get any louder, but just turn everything into heat and waste amplifier power. The eventual result is driver failure. 

• Like 2