Cornscala

jon91661

1 hour ago, No.4 said:

I think they look great! Any build information, or photos? Are you going to stain, veneer or paint? Plans for drivers and networks?

Yea,   They look so clean in the maple that I think I will just clear coat them.  They are fully veneered in Maple.   They are built with MDF inner cab and Maple ply outer cab.

The front baffle is 1.5" MDF that I veneered with maple so I could integrate the fasten horn into them.  I wanted a very clean professional look.    I will upload some inner photos later.

Regards,,Jon

1 hour ago, Westcoastdrums said:

I think:

I like it.   Strong work. What will the driver array of choice be? 

I am using the Crites cast frame woofer, B&C Midrange compression drivers, and B&C Tweeters recommended by Al over at ALK.  He built the 2 piece crossovers.  I went all out on the parts for these, the crossovers are the extreme slope, and cost me over a grand.  They are the absolute best you can get for these though.   These cabs make everything sound magnificent, they turned out insanely heavy, so I put them on wheels that are concealed inside the bottom plinth.  Pretty slick!!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YK Thom said:

Very impressive. A lot work in that wood horn. More detail than I have ever seen in a Cornscala. More like a Volti Audio level of build quality.

thanks!!  I wanted them to be special.  With the integrated horn, I think they are even nicer than the Volti!  

Thanks,,Jon

• Like 1

1 hour ago, No.4 said:

I think they look great! Any build information, or photos? Are you going to stain, veneer or paint? Plans for drivers and networks?

I will upload more photos of the inner cabs later.  Networks are ALK Extreme slope crossovers.  I paid over a grand for them, pricey but the best out there.  Drivers are Crites cast frame woofers,  B&C Midrange compression horns, and B&C tweeters recommended by AL at ALK Engineering.   Just going to clear coat them,  they are already fully veneered in maple, and solid maple front edging.  I thought about staining them, but I really love the clean look of the maple.  It is so clean looking, and the maple looks even better in person.  Unfortunately the pictures don't even do them justice.   

Regards,Jon

5 minutes ago, jon91661 said:

thanks, you are always hearing how good low power tubes sound, just wanted to get some thoughts

That was a poor Crack from another thread.   In all seriousness, I am sure many here will tell you tubes, SET in particular and that you don't need more that 10 watts.   That isn't my preference, but many seem to prefer that.   I prefer quality solid state amps, class A is very nice, funds permitted.   Truth be told, those speakers will sound great with a wide variety of amps.   Depends on your room size, music genre and listening habits.