Cornscala

jon91661

On 12/29/2018 at 1:16 PM, jon91661 said:

Yea,   They look so clean in the maple that I think I will just clear coat them.  They are fully veneered in Maple.   They are built with MDF inner cab and Maple ply outer cab.

The front baffle is 1.5" MDF that I veneered with maple so I could integrate the fasten horn into them.  I wanted a very clean professional look.    I will upload some inner photos later.

Regards,,Jon

great! clear is the way to go. maybe even a satin finish? u can always put a gloss coat if need be.

15 hours ago, hybridamp said:

Wow.  Just, wow.

7 minutes ago, lakedmb said:

On second thought, they seem terrible, but don’t worry, I’m willing to help out and take them off your hands. 😉

Very impressive! 

7 minutes ago, lakedmb said:

On second thought, they seem terrible, but don’t worry, I’m willing to help out and take them off your hands. 😉

Very impressive! 

Thanks,,  I put a lot of work into them, took about 2 weeks.   I will send pics when they are finished.  I have a feeling they will sound pretty dam good!

Cheers,  Jon

43 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

Plywood and MDF.   I like it.

Yea, I have built a ton of speakers, and I love plywood but the inert nature of MDF along with laminating ply onto it, is pretty much a perfect storm of solidity and beauty.

They are HEAVY!  I will ad a minimal amount of dampening to strategic locations, but that should do it.  They are VERY well built, and extremely rigid.   

Kind Regards,,  Jon

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jon91661 said:

Yea, I have built a ton of speakers, and I love plywood but the inert nature of MDF along with laminating ply onto it, is pretty much a perfect storm of solidity and beauty.

They are HEAVY!  I will ad a minimal amount of dampening to strategic locations, but that should do it.  They are VERY well built, and extremely rigid.   

Kind Regards,,  Jon

Have you used 18mm baltic birch in any of your other builds?  For me, as soon as I found BB void free plywood and worked with it, I use it for everything.  Just curious, not being judgemental at all with regards to MDF, they can both produce great results, and as you've demonstrated, a combination of the two can do that as well.  I just don't understand the benefits (given the additional time involved) of using both, but at 53 years old, I'm never done learning, so I'm interested in your perspective.  Would really like to hear this rendition of the C-Scala, there have been so many and all of them that I've built and heard have been great.  Keep building and posting.👍

2 hours ago, Pete H said:

Have you used 18mm baltic birch in any of your other builds?  For me, as soon as I found BB void free plywood and worked with it, I use it for everything.  Just curious, not being judgemental at all with regards to MDF, they can both produce great results, and as you've demonstrated, a combination of the two can do that as well.  I just don't understand the benefits (given the additional time involved) of using both, but at 53 years old, I'm never done learning, so I'm interested in your perspective.  Would really like to hear this rendition of the C-Scala, there have been so many and all of them that I've built and heard have been great.  Keep building and posting.👍

2 hours ago, Pete H said:

I would agree with you about BB for some kinds of speakers, I have built about 200 pairs in the last ten years.  Horns are a different animal.  These horns in particular really have nothing to do with the actual cabinet, except being mounted to it.  I built this cabinet for the Bass exclusively.  Like so many other cornscala designs, sometimes the horns, tweeters, etc, are actually not even part of the cabinet at all.  BB is great for Back loaded horns, where the driver actually uses the cabinet like an instrument to help the music sound warm and rich.  MDF on the other hand, or some other very inert material is most often used on multi driver, dynamic transducer designs.   Someone once told me that " BB is much more rigid than MDF, if you put them side by side, and bend them, the MDF bends much easier",   True,    I never said it wasn't stronger, it is denser, and does not resonate like a BB cab does.  It is Dead, or Enert.   For bass drivers, and a bass cabinet, this is optimal.   They put out massive amounts of sound pressure or air movement, so the less the cabinet resonates, the more focused the bass frequencies.  That is why you almost always see subwoofer cabs built like a battle ship,  at least the good ones?    To get to your point , I used both MDF, and BB  because I wanted a massively built, and dead cab for the huge bass driver, and I wanted plywood because it looks awesome, and keeps with the heritage approach.  The biggest reason was that i couldn't find maple BB, and I had just enough maple veneer to do these.   LOL,  HE HE!  I also wanted to build the dam things and not wait,  Laughing out loud now!!   I wanted to build kind of a Cornscala on steroids.    Or, "JONSCALA" !!  LOL!    

Most kind Regards,,    Jon

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Pete H said:

Can't wait to see these completed!  

I know,  Me too.  I am clear coating them now, probably about 6 coats.    Should take me about a day to assemble after that. 

I am using some really cool grill cloth also.   About 180lbs. when complete each.    I can't wait to see what a good low power tube amp will sound like.  

Very excited!!         Thanks Pete

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jon91661 said:

I know,  Me too.  I am clear coating them now, probably about 6 coats.    Should take me about a day to assemble after that. 

I am using some really cool grill cloth also.   About 180lbs. when complete each.    I can't wait to see what a good low power tube amp will sound like.  

Very excited!!         Thanks Pete

Damn man, make us all drool why don't you.