Cornscala

jon91661

I will say again Jon... 😎

I also agree with you on the value of both MDF and BB.

On my CS build, I was obviously not as "all out" as you, but I did build the mother boards and bottoms

of mine with 1in BB laminated with .75 MDF.

The rest of the cabinets were all 1in BB.

The knuckle test on mine confirmed very solid cabinets... your should be ROCKs!

Looking forward to your impression once you get them playing 🎼

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HPower said:

I will say again Jon... 😎

I also agree with you on the value of both MDF and BB.

On my CS build, I was obviously not as "all out" as you, but I did build the mother boards and bottoms

of mine with 1in BB laminated with .75 MDF.

The rest of the cabinets were all 1in BB.

The knuckle test on mine confirmed very solid cabinets... your should be ROCKs!

Looking forward to your impression once you get them playing 🎼

Me too!  Bet yours sounded awesome!  will keep you posted

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I would leave them clear maple. The black might anchor the look visually but it would also be open for minor dings and damage which would show - vacuuming and such. Those are the most magnificent looking DIY speakers I have ever seen in my life. Mazel Tov! 

On 12/28/2018 at 9:57 PM, jon91661 said:

Just built these.  What do you think?

IMG_1493-2.jpg

IMG_1494-2.jpg

IMG_1495.jpg

IMG_1498-2.JPG

IMG_1501.jpg

IMG_1503-2.jpg

IMG_1504.jpg

IMG_1505-2.jpg

IMG_1506-2.jpg

IMG_1507-2.jpg

IMG_1508.jpg

IMG_1509-2.jpg

IMG_1510-2.jpg

im slowly getting back into the world of "hifi" and must say that to answer your question is 3 fold... they are beautiful no matter what paint/stain job they receive and im sure i would love them even more if you made me a pair and i could afford them :)

On 1/29/2019 at 10:20 AM, MC39693 said:

Very nice.  May I ask did you build the mid wooden horn or purchase?

It is a horn kit that you can buy, but let me tell you, to get them to this point, it is a LOT of work and elbow grease!   The mounting and how I integrated it into the baffle is all me.

Notice that all other mountings of this horn you can see the outer frame. Most people just cut a hole in the baffle and mount the horn.  I didn't want it to look added on, thus adding to the custom look of the speaker.  The veneer was the hardest part around it, making it look good.  there are no 90 degree angles, so the elliptical cutout in the maple veneer is extremely difficult.

Anyway, that being said, you can purchase the horn from fast lane audio.  About 300 just for the raw wood kit. but like I said, its a lot of work if you want it to look good.

Regards,,Jon

On 1/31/2019 at 2:02 PM, Dr Morbius said:

Craftsmanship is extremely high with these speakers!  I have 2 pair of Cornscala's and both systems use H.H. Scott amps (of about 30 watts per channel each) and to me it's a winning combination.

Yes, a lot of elbow grease on these, I am almost done with them.  I went a bit crazy with them, and even bought a pair of B&C woofers for them.  Much better than the crites!  A bit less efficient but much better linear excursion, and deeper tighter bass.  I also am dampening the cabinets a bit and putting in some trick wiring.  This stuff is fun, what else am I gonna do

LOL!

7 hours ago, Pinball_pw said:

How do the wooden horns sound compared t more standard Cornscala horns?  Is it just more for decoration, it sure does look amazing. 

we will see??    I have heard that this horn sounds WAY better than the stock cornscala horns.  Im about to fire them up so I am looking forward to hearing them.

Regards,,Jon

• 2 months later...