Really disappointed after 2 separate in store demos

Fault

So I have been looking into getting some Klipsch speakers for my upcoming theater build. I went to two separate stores that had demos.

The first was ABC warehouse that just had a bunch of speakers in a line. They had a 12 inch Klipsch sub, didn't get the model, and two r820f floorspeakers. Their setup wasn't great, had to do aux in off my phone. I played daft punk's Da Funk, and it sounded pretty bad. The bass was good, but the mids sounded really muddled. So did get to listen to some Klipsch speakers. unfortunately the demo area wasn't instead up very well. It makes me wonder if the receiver or the settings on it were screwed up, possibly even the speaker is blown. it just sounded kind of unnatural. Which really surprised me because I expected it to at least sound good but maybe not be good in the way that I wanted it to be.

At the best buy there was a demo setup with some tablet that could pull up trailers that Klipsch put on there. The trailers sounded pretty bad, especially in the highs again. They almost sounded like they were clipping. I just am really surprised by how poor the quality was. Once again it was r280fs and a 12inch, with some bookshelfs. The song demos that were preloaded sounded bad in the same way. Just didn't have the clarity i would have expected. I compared to a Sony unit near by and while it didn't have the presence that the Klipsch had, it did have much more clarity.

So was I maybe just having bad luck? Two busted demo units? I see lots of positive reviews and such, and I was really excited, but disappointed what the demos had to offer. As far as I know there's no where else to demo the speakers, or the premiere line. I was really hoping I would immediately fall in love. Hoping someone can shed some light on my experience, maybe let me know that it is possible that i just had bad luck twice.

Playing off phone and tablets is not a good source and any demo jock showing you that is selling to convenience oriented smart phone users not audiophiles. I sell vintage Klipsch and shudder every time someone comes over and wants to use their iPhone as a source. I let them do it and then say OK now we do it my way and the look on their faces is always funny. Half of them go home, and I always follow up to see how things are going, and tell me it does not sound as nice as it did in my shop. Using the iPhone again? The ones not happy sheepishly say yes and when they stop doing that and feed the speakers the right way all is well.

You ran into two places that do not have a clue is the problem. Ask on the forum and see if there is anyone close by to you who has gear like you want and go listen to things set up correctly.

I have been to Best Buys Cool Springs in Nashville and it was all twenty some aged bored sales clerks who could not answer anything I asked about the meager line of Klipsch gear in the store that day. Sadly good Klipsch dealers seem to be few in number.

• Thanks 1

Great advice from Dave! Try to rustle up someone from the forums near you.

Hey Dave... you get up early to to work or not to bed yet?

It's 7:00 pm here, getting ready to celebrate the New Year soon.

Bruce

Yup. I’ve spoken to quite a few different stores local to me and 80% of customers would come in, listen and, take their time and then order online to save money. There was no incentive for the store to dedicate the resources and square footage, just to help online retailers with their bottom line. 

I am for free market and all but with everyone shopping for the absolute lowest possible prices, we are removing our purchasing options.

I myself, am just as guilty as everyone else of this. 

”price quality or service pick two” Soon it will become “pick one”. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Fault said:

Live in SE Michigan, about 40 min North of Detroit. I'm starting to lean towards maybe getting PA speakers, getting that extra umpfh.

What kind of "umpfh" are you looking for?  Do you have any speakers that you remember blowing you away?  May help us direct you to a certain model to seek out.  Also, what's you budget roughly?  Will you need a receiver or amp as well? 

I have a set of Heresy II's with an SVS sub and Cornwall's with an SVS sub that have never lacked any power.  I've never been that impressed with the lower entry level Klipsch speakers, but if you are able to demo their Reference or Heritage line, you will not be disappointed.  I would imagine Detroit would have a store to demo some nice systems.  

Also, keep an eye on Craiglist, Let Go, and the Garage Sale section here on the forum.  You may be able to get a great system for less money than you planned on spending.  

Not sure how far Toledo is for you, but this would be a steal.

https://toledo.craigslist.org/ele/d/toledo-set-of-klipsch-epic-cf1-speakers/6763836010.html

10 hours ago, Fault said:

Live in SE Michigan, about 40 min North of Detroit. I'm starting to lean towards maybe getting PA speakers, getting that extra umpfh.

There are a number of Klipsch forum guys in your area. Keep posting so this floats to the top and they will find you. Or start a new post requesting people in your area get in touch if they are willing to have you stop in. Most will be.

You say PA. You mean Pro gear?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lakedmb said:

What kind of "umpfh" are you looking for?  Do you have any speakers that you remember blowing you away?  May help us direct you to a certain model to seek out.  Also, what's you budget roughly?  Will you need a receiver or amp as well? 

I have a set of Heresy II's with an SVS sub and Cornwall's with an SVS sub that have never lacked any power.  I've never been that impressed with the lower entry level Klipsch speakers, but if you are able to demo their Reference or Heritage line, you will not be disappointed.  I would imagine Detroit would have a store to demo some nice systems.  

Also, keep an eye on Craiglist, Let Go, and the Garage Sale section here on the forum.  You may be able to get a great system for less money than you planned on spending.  

Not sure how far Toledo is for you, but this would be a steal.

https://toledo.craigslist.org/ele/d/toledo-set-of-klipsch-epic-cf1-speakers/6763836010.html

In terms of something that blew me away, is AMCs Dolby theaters. Not sure if you're familiar with them, but to be that's like pinnacle film watching. Obviously their setup is astronomically expensive, which i know that, but the power of those speakers is what I truly want to emulate. They have an insane presence. When it's a concert scene, you are at the concert. When there's a sudden explosion, you're ducking for cover. When the TRex roars, you're glass and seat are shaking. That's what I want out of my HT experience.

Were in the process of buying a house so the budget is a bit of a question, because most the cash is currently going to buying the house. For the area where I want to put the speakers I need to put up a 4th wall, and I want to put a pass through in another wall for the LCR for the screen. So essentially the budget can go higher, if I sit and save. If I go in earlier, I might just upgrade over time. Trying to figure out what I like, and what my budget needs to be to get that.

5 hours ago, Fault said:

In terms of something that blew me away, is AMCs Dolby theaters. Not sure if you're familiar with them, but to be that's like pinnacle film watching. Obviously their setup is astronomically expensive, which i know that, but the power of those speakers is what I truly want to emulate.

Well you will never find Pro gear in stores. I run KPT-456's and my daily listener is an MCM 1900 so I applaud your decision making process. The Pro gear has far more presence than all the rest. Budget is a relative thing and to some $16,000++ is reasonable. I am a cheap skate and like hunting for good old Pro gear. KPT 902 and 456 show up at times and take up just a bit more space than Cornwalls and have that sound and physical impact you are seeking.

My personal favorite (based on systems you are likely to be able to find and getting systems like the MCM 1900 is next to impossible and much larger.)  is the systems which use the bass bin found in the KPT 902 and 456 and KP-450.  They turn up on occasion for $500 to say $1,600 for a set and they will blow you away.

If I were buying new I would run past the consumer Klipsch department and go right to the Theater systems and get the KPT-904 or even better the KPT-942. Third would be Jubilees. Cory is a good guy to deal with for new theater systems.