Best Integrated Amp Under $2000

Benjie

I’ve git $2K to spend on my 2-channel system. My speakers are Chorus ii’s Crites mods. Love them! 

I have 2 amps to audition shortly:

1. Hegel H90

2. Peachtree Nova 300 

Many and all thoughts much appreciated!

Edited by Benjie

4 minutes ago, Benjie said:

I’ve git $2K to spend on my 2-channel system. My speakers are Chorus ii’s Crites mods. Love them! 

I have 2 amps to audition shortly:

1. Hegel H90

2. Peachtree Nova 300 (waiting to hear on this one)

Many and all thoughts much appreciated!

Do you have a preference as to tube, solid state or digital and goals that you are looking to achieve?   Listening habits?   

9 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Also, what does your integrated amp need to include feature wise?   Is an onboard DAC important to you at all as that will narrow your choices? 

I’m thinking I’m going to get into tubes later. So SS for now. Onboard Dac preferred. Have never had a separate Dac, but open to options. 

Listening habits are Diana, Norah big band, acoustic guitar, country, jazz strings and anything with great strong vocals. 

Parasound integrated I have owned and agree with.   Im really liking my wyred 4 Sound amp.   Given my experience with 3 of their products now, I would recommend one of their older integrateds and a separate DAC run in line (higher quality, same price IMO). 

Throw this guy an offer and buy a separate higher quality DAC if you so choose would be my recommendation :

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649468665-wyred-4-sound-sti-500/

Headroom for days, remote, runs cool to the touch and sounds awesome.   Seems a lot of guys around here like the sound perhaps a touch on the warm side.  The wyred 4 Sound gear I have found to be very smooth (inviting long listening sessions without fatigue even at volume).   Bonus is ROCK SOLID control of the lower octaves.   Just my 2 cents. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YK Thom said:

I have heard nothing but good things about the Peachtree line up. The 300 has phono as well as a built in DAC.

Unfortunately I have had 3 bad experiences in a row with Peachtree.   They sent me 3 separate units that came straight from the company, each with issues. One arrived broken with compenwnts rattling around inside of the unit and two came with heavy swirl/buffing marks that looked like a used car that needed to be wet sanded and buffed.  Given the QC control issues I had with them, I can't recommend.... Just my experience though. I was quite disappointed.   

3 minutes ago, veloceleste said:

I should have read a little slower. Solid state: Used Bryston B60. They can be had reasonably affordable, are very smooth. Look for the latest C series. I used one when I had my chorus II's and still own one. A piece I can't let go.

Always been a fan of bryston gear, just pricey.   If you say that's a great piece for the money and reasonably priced used, I'm sure it is.   

18 minutes ago, veloceleste said:

Tube: Quicksilver Integrated. 20wpc stable to 2 ohms. EL84/6bq5 amp. I just went through a thorough comparison of speakers using this amp and I am going to sell the speakers and keep the amp! Great bass authority, clean, smooth treble and nice mids.

Just did some wuick research on the QS Integrated. Wow! Beautiful and well equipped. That will go in the back of my mind. 

Does it have a nice tube warm sound?

My buddy runs a PrimaLuna integrated I think it's a Dialogue Premium......I got to say.......listening to Nora Jones.....Eva Cassidy sounds amazing.......low volume detail is acceptional...He also runs Chorus II with the Crites update kit. I think he runs a Vincent 701 phono preamp.

George

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Unfortunately I have had 3 bad experiences in a row with Peachtree.   They sent me 3 separate units that came straight from the company, each with issues. One arrived broken with compenwnts rattling around inside of the unit and two came with heavy swirl/buffing marks that looked like a used car that needed to be wet sanded and buffed.  Given the QC control issues I had with them, I can't recommend.... Just my experience though. I was quite disappointed.   

First negative thing I’ve ever heard about them. However they are now made in Canada and not China, so the QC issues should be a thing of the past. Ohm Accoustics has been using them at the audio shows this year with thier displays.

I purchased them when they were made in Canada and was told the same. I don't knock China for QC.  PrimaLuna stuff is made there and so is the parasound gear I have and the fit and finish is excellent.   To be fair, I was informed by Peachtree that they didn't make the casing. It was outsourced.  Oh well, I am VERY happy with wyred 4 Sound and they happwn to be fairly local to me.   What are the odds. 

Ha!  You really want to HEAR things on those speakers go with a PrimaLuna integrated and Schitt Mani phono stage...  BOTH sound truly amazing paired with my LS.  Never been happier and you're in @ less than $2k.  SS ALL my life and this system sounds tons better.  Go to Upscale Audio and check it out.  The Schiit you get from Schiit!  Ha.  No schiit!  It's the schiits!  :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1