Best Integrated Amp Under $2000

Benjie

8 minutes ago, oldred said:

Always heard good things about wyred 4 sound.......just wish they didn't look like the case was a kit case.

I know what's inside is important......Just me I guess.

George

I agree with you TBH.  The cases aren't the best looking.  However, I'm sure that keeps the pricepoint around where it is (which I love).  

• Like 1

Integrated if you plan on adding many devices that need controlllability and the need onboard room correction, otherwise for two channel I have a preference for separates... stand alones.

There are a pair of VRD's for sale in the garage sale section, but you would need a pre... maybe a passive pre at around 350-450... that would keep you right around your goal of 2000$

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

Ha!  You really want to HEAR things on those speakers go with a PrimaLuna integrated and Schitt Mani phono stage...  BOTH sound truly amazing paired with my LS.  Never been happier and you're in @ less than $2k.  SS ALL my life and this system sounds tons better.  Go to Upscale Audio and check it out.  The Schiit you get from Schiit!  Ha.  No schiit!  It's the schiits!  :)

Ok I’m interested. I’ve been on the website. Which one do you have?? 

• Like 1

Ha...  I gave the Prologue Classic integrated a shot but it's soon going to my daughter @ ASU in Phoenix then I'm going to level up a couple notches.  Can't hurt anything.  Will prolly go to the Dialogue Premium but remember this, I'm listening to 2-channel only.  No Home Theater...  And they're YOU'RE ears but this sounds great to me.  Friends have all just shook their heads hearing it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Deang said:

I thought you were moving to a next level Cambridge unit. What happened? Not busting your chops - just curious. 

Great point. I did purchase a Cambridge CXR120 and have been auditioning it for a few weeks. Very nice, but just thinking I was still missing something on the 2-channel side.  So going back to integrated Amp. 

I finally got around to unboxing the Cambridge CXA60 I bought last month. I was going to sell it, but decided I had to have at least one nice amp in the house - I sold everything else, including my tubed integrated. 

I’m using my DIY monitors loaded with Radian 5208c coaxials. Knowing I still had these really took the sting out of selling the LaScalas. With a good amp, the sound is immersive, dynamic and clean.

The CXA60 is ever so slightly on the cool side, but very enjoyable to listen to. No fatigue whatsoever, which is surprising for solid state at this price point. After the third hour of listening, I decided to learn more about the internals. The only standout comment I could find was that there are only 12 parts in the signal path. 

Does it sound as good as the Onix SP3? Yes. I would call this a solid lateral, and I’m pretty happy. The trade off is imaging and a slightly fatter bottom for a crisper more immediate sound. The sound reminds me of a nice Music Fidelity amp I once heard.

The guy who sold it to me tried to buy it back two days later after listening to the Halo Hint 6 he’d just purchased. I can see why. 

This amp also passes the “Yeah, but how does it sound with high efficiency loudspeakers?”

My loudspeakers are 98dB/2.83v.

54B589FD-4481-4636-BADB-A21AFE68B98E.jpeg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Deang said:

The CXA60 is ever so slightly on the cool side, but very enjoyable to listen to. No fatigue whatsoever, which is surprising for solid state at this price point.

This amp also passes the “Yeah, but how does it sound with high efficiency loudspeakers?”

My loudspeakers are 98dB/2.83v.

Dean,

I have been driving my Heresy IIs in my bedroom for over two years with a previous model Cambridge Audio 640Av2 and my take on the combo is very similar to yours.  Nothing exaggerated but a nice neutral presentation.  Could listen to all day.

Bill

• Like 1

If you will be listening to any high res. digital (as suggested by your mention of an integrated DAC), the Cambridge Audio CXA80 is an excellent choice. That is what I have driving my Forte IIs on my 2-channel setup. The difference in the CXA80 vs. the CXA60 (other than power) is in the digital connectivity and capability to accept high res digital files directly. I have a Mac connected with asynchronous USB (which you can't do with the CXA60).

The sound is as good as I've ever heard from a pair of Fortes, and for about half of your suggested budget. I chose this integrated amp over two tube amps, including a great deal on a demo PrimaLuna.

Of course, it has that great Cambridge DAC.

• Like 3