FLAC playback / Media Server?

Sam S.

I've got a Marantz SR6012. I posted awhile ago about some issues with FLAC file playback via the USB port on the front. The issue seemed resolved via the HEOS app on my phone, but now today, I'm getting no playback from various USB devices, but when I play a few test files from my phone, it works. So I'm thinking the USB drive on the Marantz might be touchy or in need of service.

My question, however, is more of the nature of is there a better method to store and playback my FLAC collection, as opposed to the USB method. I'm all for low (or no) cost. Any suggestions appreciated.

You might get better info on a Marantz/Denon/Heos forum, assuming one exists.

I personally do not have any experience with Heos, but I do know that Heos is DLNA compliant (being the Controller and Renderer).

So, you could install DLNA Server software on your PC or a NAS, and Heos should find the server and act as the Controller and Renderer.

Assuming your FLAC files are on your PC (or could be), I've had great experiences with MinimServer, a nice free DLNA/UPnP server program. 

https://minimserver.com/index.html

You install MinimServer on your PC, point it to the folder(s) with your music files, then start the server...super simple (assuming the files are tagged properly).

I use MinimServer with several Chromecast Audio pucks in the house, using the HiFi Cast app on my phone to select FLAC tracks to be played on the Chromecast Audio.

If your Marantz (or Denon) is connected to a network you can send files in different formats (including FLAC and DSD) from a computer over the network to your AVR.

I use JRiver Media Center to do this (you can test this software free for a certain test-period).

The files can be 'pushed' (Computer to AVR) or 'pulled' (AVR pulls from Computer).

Edited by JefDC

34 minutes ago, JefDC said:

If your Marantz (or Denon) is connected to a network you can send files in different formats (including FLAC and DSD) from a computer over the network to your AVR.

I use JRiver Media Center to do this (you can test this software free for a certain test-period).

The files can be 'pushed' (Computer to AVR) or 'pulled' (AVR pulls from Computer).

This would be using JRiver's DLNA/UPnP server feature, correct?

If so, and assuming the OP would only need DLNA/UPnP server functionality for FLAC on his PC, not sure there would much advantage to buying JRiver, when good free DLNA/UPnP server software is available.

I know that JRiver is very popular and has great features, just not sure it would be necessary if only DLNA/UPnP server functionality for FLAC is needed.

A DLNA compatible server is needed, so I asume any free server software would/could do the trick.

I just followed the manual:

A server or server software compatible with distribution in the corresponding formats is required to play music files via a network.

For playing mentioned audio formats via a network a server software, for example Twonky Media Server or jRiver Media Server, needs to be installed
on your computer or NAS for full support. There are other server software available too. Please check supported formats.

Thanks for the responses. Gives me some things to think about and research more. Follow-up --- after I posted, I was tweaking around with the laptop where the FLAC files are ultimately stored, and via windows media player (win 10) shared the folder on the network. From the HEOS app on my phone, it showed the Toshiba laptop, and I was able to navigate to the FLAC files on the music folder on the laptop, and then play them via the marantz. So essentially what JefDC suggests but without JRiver Media Center. I thought this was a great solution/workaround to the touchiness of the front usb drive, and the sound seemed great, until the laptop went into hibernate. I thought this would be a simple re-start (and changing the laptop settings to never hibernate). When I restarted everything, now the marantz won't find ANY wireless networks. 

I'm going to try a factory reset tonight and see if that restores the wifi, then go from there. I suppose perhaps I could also try loading the FLAC files on an EHD and plugging that into the USB port in the front. Maybe that might be more stable than the thumbdrives I was using before.

Since I'm new to all of this, I appreciate the feedback/suggestions.

I found that Windows 10 really sucks.....for networking....often times network pc's are missing from the network list....been trying  different fixed ....work arounds.......best thing that worked was ....run server with Windows 7 ....all other pc's can be Windows 10...if they don't see each other.....it doesn't matter .....they always see the Windows 7 server....I never have any media pc go into hibernate....it causes all sorts of strange things...... FLAC files.....JRiver....been using it for a while.....like it for audio.

I use Kodi for video

George

• Like 1

Yes Windows 10 ... and any security software like McAfee, Norton etc. can really mess up the "network" view.  I cannot get my BlueSound Vault 2 to connect to shares on Windows 10 PC nor can I get the Windows 10 PC to find the Vault 2.  I've talked with BlueSound help desk and ...well I'm not willing to turn off every single layer of security (little as they are) and keep trying the infinite combinations.  I just put all my music files onto a USB and attached to the Vault 2's USB port which seems to work well.  Having said this ... I like @oldred's comment, get a Windows 7 server and use it for audio file serving. Get a good backup of your files and off you go?

Windows Media Player has DLNA server capability - that's why it worked.

The Marantz not finding wi-fi...hmmm, not sure.  Is there any way you can run ethernet cable to it?

Regarding an EHD, you probably will need to verify the drive formatting type that the Marantz USB requires.

Yes....I have a very old Windows pc in my basement (see my profile)......All music/ movies are stored on my windows 7 server

Then I run Intel NUCs at both my systems...........You can probably just run server and use Cat5/ Cat6 to your receiver. Possibly off of a network switch.......If you are thinking of doing this wirelessly.....can be done but audio dropout's are common....

There might be better ways to do this.....but this is what works for me

George