Price lowered to $2,500 Cornscala Michigan

finallygotmyheresies

46 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

they may be overpriced but the upgrades alone probably cost twice as much as your stated average of $792, they are worth far more than $1200... 

Oh, I know what the upgrades cost.  Those are nice and expensive ones, no doubt.

But it's the same with cars which have mods.  You can put a $3000 carbon fiber hood on a $3000 car if you want but you will never recover the price of it unless you sell it to the one person in the world who wants that exact mod.  There is little value added because the car is expected to come with a hood.  An expensive hood adds very little value to the majority of people wanting that car.

The Seller of those Cornies has a much better chance of recovering his money if he sells them bone stock and then sells the XO's on their own.  Even still, he's still not going to make it to $3200.

+++

Edit:  I just checked the spreadsheet.  There was another set of Corn1's which had ALK XO's and tweeter upgrades advertised for $1350 July 2017, did not sell.  The highest confirmed Corn1 sale is $1100 with Crites tweeters March 2017.

The other limiting factors is NOT in what the Corn1's are worth, but what other better Klipsch speakers are worth in that price range.  La Scalas avg $1191, Belles $1939 and Khorns $2081. 

• Like 2

hard to judge somethings value on the internet or a personal opinion.  & the $3000 carbon fiber hood analogy doesn't really apply here,  there are way more than just "the one person in the world" that see value in vintage klipsch speakers with top level upgrades/mods.  you could barely buy just the mods for the price hes asking,  those alk x-overs alone probably cost close to or more than $792, add the horns & drivers plus the value of the speakers & im sure lots of people will be willing to pay that, or close to it.

i agree its hard to get back what you pay for things like cars etc, but as with anything, its worth what someone will pay, & starting prices are usually negotiable.  granted he may not get $3200, but i bet it would be close... & way more than "$1200 tops"  ;)

20 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

hard to judge somethings value on the internet or a personal opinion.  & the $3000 carbon fiber hood analogy doesn't really apply here,

True on both counts. 

The hood thing was just an illustration, I was making the numbers up to make a point.  You expect a $1000 speaker to come with a crossover and just because the owner puts another $1000 crossover into it, the value does not automatically become $2000, especially to a prospective buyer.

When it comes to pricing as it applies to Klipsch Heritage is my opinion is based on data, not my feeble memory.  Of course the worth of anything out of the data range is simply my opinion.  I THINK Corn1's Fair Market Value is about $800-1000 but I have a confirmed sale of $378, so what do I know?  I don't set the prices, I just record them and the spreadsheet does the math.

I think we all agree, the price of a speaker, new or used is based solely upon whatever a willing Seller and willing Buyer can agree.

i understand your points, however, the "You expect a $1000 speaker to come with a crossover and just because the owner puts another $1000 crossover into it, the value does not automatically become $2000" is not what im saying but i do agree for the most part... adding a $1000 x-over is worth a high percentage of its value, especially with the ALK name to a person looking for upgraded speakers.  personally, IF i was looking for cornwall or any klipsch speaker & planned to pay for new ALK x-overs or other mods, i would gladly pay ~60-75% of their value for a good used set to save some money.  same with the horns & drivers etc, you see used upgraded x-overs & drivers listed here all the time in that range of their original price... not 25% or less.  my comments were mainly about your "$1200 tops" price for these nice heavily modded cornwalls,  they are worth probably double that or more... to a buyer looking for that type of speaker.  

& i dont knock your spreadsheets at all, but have said before that the limited sales you document dont necessarily reflect the actual resale value of klipsch speakers & dont always account for condition/location/mods etc.. $378 for cornwalls is VERY rare & far from the normal used market value for them, they could have been all beat up, or a wife selling them for bottom dollar due to a divorce etc.  to include that kind of sale in your averages severley sways the prices.  i recall you saying chorus 2 are average of $500-600 awhile back.. yet they sell all day long for $800-1000+. 

in just the last couple years, prices have gone way up for klipsch heritage & vintage speakers so it's hard to judge their value based on very limited data collected over many years.  quick  example:  i recently sold a set of k-horns that had some cosmetic issues to the veneer for $1500 because i wanted a quick sale, with a little work or $25 in black paint i could have made them look nicer & listed for $2000-2500 but waited awhile for them to sell.  the $1500 will sway the averages on nicer k-horns to the low side but doesnt mean other k-horns are worth that low price.  averages are nice but guessing what an upgrade or mod is worth to someone can be tricky.  i deal with classic muscle cars & see people make a lot of money on restored or modified cars all the time, but then again you see people lose money too, so its hard to judge.   :unsure:

I visited the Caro Michigan area last year to make a vehicle purchase, but I do not see these speakers necessitating my return visit any time soon.

Your pricing &/or value analysis may differ.

To each their own.

• Like 1

I think the seller will get around $2,000 for them if they are willing to take less than their list price. My guess is that they are listing them for the total amount that they have invested into them. Just a guess. I personally do not expect to get the value of any upgrades I put into my stereo or vehicles back when I sell but that is my mindset. However, when I left active duty and imported my car from Japan to the States I was able to sell it for $15,000 more than I had spent on it. That is a rare and special circumstance but someone wanting this speaker could also view this opportunity as rare as well. 

If anybody knows anything about Caro, MI, it's in the thumb area and basically in the middle of nowhere. I'm about 40 miles away from there, in the Flint area. My point is I hardly think the local farmers are going to be interested in those speakers, so distance will probably become a factor.

I though about driving over there with 15 hundred dollar bills....

On 1/1/2019 at 4:57 PM, EpicKlipschFan said:

i dont knock your spreadsheets at all, but have said before that the limited sales you document dont necessarily reflect the actual resale value of klipsch speakers & dont always account for condition/location/mods etc.. $378 for cornwalls is VERY rare & far from the normal used market value for them, they could have been all beat up, or a wife selling them for bottom dollar due to a divorce etc.  to include that kind of sale in your averages severley sways the prices.  i recall you saying chorus 2 are average of $500-600 awhile back.. yet they sell all day long for $800-1000+. 

I've gone on record several times with my analyses of the flaws of a spreadsheet containing info on used speakers, and they are numerous.  What I have isn't perfect and there are a lot of "yeah but's.." to the numbers.  That's a legit criticism.

At the same time it is much better than anybody's flawed memory which is why I started tracking prices in the first place.  I now have hundreds of confirmed sales, over time.

I offer my spreadsheet to anybody who wants it.  If someone wants to know what the last 4 sales were they can do their own analysis.  If they want to read my notes and find out what speakers sell for in Michigan or Texas, they can do their own analysis.  I account for one-off sales.  The information is there and although flawed, it's still data based and therefore more accurate than anybody's memory.

In my experience I have seen speakers sell for more than I thought they were worth, and I've seen them sell for less than what I thought they were worth.  At the end of the day, the numbers are the numbers and any used OR NEW speaker is worth EXACTLY what a willing Seller and willing Buyer agree to.

+++

Just this morning, I had so many data points I just broke Cornwalls into two rows, Good, and Avg/Poor.  Good condition I show an avg $839, Avg/Poor I show $636.

FYI Chorus I's show an average of $617. 

For Chorus II in Good condition I show $732 and for Avg/Poor $714, 32 data points.  The last four sales I documented for Ch2 in Good Condition were $850, $800, $1100 and $750. 

Lots of Forum members send me confirmed sales, they are the ones who make the spreadsheet more indicative of real world used Klipsch prices.  If anybody comes across confirmed sales, please send me that info I'll be happy to add it. 

The more good information I get, the better the numbers are.

sounds good to me. 

i think 2 of your recent chorus 2 entries were mine, thats when your numbers mentioned at the time seemed rather low, much less than ~$700. 

i can send you my K-horn price i just sold last week if you'd like. 

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 6:04 PM, Heaterman said:

A similar pair just sold in Northern California a couple of months ago, asking price was $1500 if I remember correctly and I believe he got his price.  He posted them here...

I recall upgraded Belles from northern Cali but I thought the Cornwalls from the same seller were closer to original. If the speakers modded like those in MI were $1,500 I'd have a family member pick them up super-stat. I grew up 30 minutes from Caro.

When I bought my Cornwalls, I wanted them to be factory original, and they are.  I couldn't imagine paying more than market rate for a mutilated pair.  Now many will say that the modifications improved the sound  of these speaker, maybe it does, but how to convince the next buyer of that at resale time.  Frankly, all the 16 gauge silver core wire in the world will not change the sound of a speaker, it just runs up the cost.  That alone, brings into question the value of the other 'upgrades'.  What I see for sale are speakers that have been abused.  Call me cranky, I guess.

I have to say that my Fortes have Crites tweeter diaphragms.  They also have a patched passive radiator.  I think that the Crites helped the sound, not so sure about the patch job.

• Like 1