veloceleste

44 minutes ago, veloceleste said:

I'm still looking to go high efficiency/sensitivity and Forte III didn't work out. I've only heard Cornwalls once and didn't care for them (body armor on)✌️.   I'm intrigued by Cornscala as I think it would load up my room differently and with the different dispersion mid-horn carachteristics from a Cornwall may be more to my taste. Has anyone ever listened to the Forte / Cornscala side by side, apples to apples comparison; same amps, sources, room, ect. My lack of do it yourself skills and lack of patience preclude me from assembling any kits so please don't suggest that! Strictly plug and play. Thanks.

It might help us to understand what you didn't like about either the Forte or Cornwall's presentation so as to help us steer you in the right direction and answer your question more accurately.   Everyone has their own requirements.

48 minutes ago, veloceleste said:

Fair question. Cornwall exponential horn sounded shouty (is that a word) and a bit thin and they didn't sound coherent top to bottom.  Main problem with Forte III in my room was with the way bass loaded up the room; it was a bit uneven and diffuse. I prefer a punchier bass and my thinking is the front ported Cornscala will load the room differently but still has a mid-horn with wider vertical dispersion.  I have a difficult room with suckoutsuckouts and use bass traps that help a lot. 

Understand your points.  jjptkd's idea is right on the money or something like a (I don't like to use the name since it really doesn't mean anything) :"Cornscala" might be to your liking.  Bottom line, good bass projected in the room (ported to front) with a larger more open sounding mid horn. Passive radiators are good to try and keep the enclosure size down for bass extension but they aren't for everyone.  Always liked the larger mid horn, such as on the Chorus II/Forte II/III much better than the small horn which can be much less smooth in it's presentation.

If you were fine with the bass of the Cornwall, wanted to stay with the Cornscala version....  then I'd urge you to go 2-way.  Hopefully, (since I don't know) the 2-way has a 2" horn.

I personally view the 396 as a Cornwall on steroids.  Beefy woofer, respected 510 horn (which is a 2" throat) and it sounds "big"  (not loud mind you, though it will do that.....but the scale of sound is also "large")

(I'm a fan of the 396)

What kind of room (as in size) and budget do you have?

59 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Yup.   With a pair of these I'm certain you will want one killer sub at least or a pair of quality subs to keep up (think 15"s and up).  There is no "shrill or shoutiness" whatsoever with these.   I word say effortless, detailed and buttery smooth instead.   The bass is very tight and punchy, but not extended whatsoever.   If Cory @MetropolisLakeOutfitters is still running a special on these, I would give them a strong consideration.   I have owned all of the heritage line at one point and the Forte IIIs and Cornwall IIIs as well.   IMO, in my room either of the forementioned speakers didn't even come close to the 396s.  I know many here are very fond of the LA scalas.   The footprint and cost kept them out of my listening room unfortunately.   The small footprint and huge sound was the winner for me.   Cornscalas I think will be difficult to A/B with production speakers since there will be an endless variety.   They are after all custom speakers for the most part. I think with a pair of them it may invite endless tinkering as well.   Just my thought.   

I can hardly imagine any scenario where I would be happy with a bryston/klipsch combo. The very thought makes me cringe a little. I understand now why you were unhappy with the Fortes. But I think you are dumping the wrong piece of the equation.

FWIW, I don't think you will be happy with any cornscala version either.

Shakey

BTW, this is not bryston bashing. Those amps have a place with very inefficient speakers (think magnepan), if you like that kind of sound. It is me telling you that bryston is not a good match in this instance.