Hurt me!

gooniebird63

Just got a Klipsch 120SW to replace a dead 10 120V, I didn't change any settings in the A/V receiver and I no longer have that mid-bass punch like you'd have for gunshots and such..you know, the punch you can feel in your chest, I am using Polk Rti4 front speakers and a matching center speaker, I have the crossover set to 70hz, what am I missing?

I have really deep lows just don't have the punch with the new 120SW.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jason str said:

Different subwoofers have different characteristics, you will have to recalibrate whatever DSP the receiver is using to properly tune in the new sub.

Digital Signal Processing,? I did the auto calibration function with the new sub but i just don't like how it sounds, i did an audio frequency sweep and didn't hear any gaps in the transition from the sub to the front speakers. I even played around by changing the crossover to 60, 70 and 80hz and higher, my auto calibration always senses the front speakers as large... i see that's a common problem so i always change it to "small",what other tweaks should i consider? 

24 minutes ago, jason str said:

Did you do a sub crawl when you placed the subwoofer ?

Does the DSP offer crossover slope options ?

I didn't do the crawl,  the only adjustments for crossover are hz adjustments in increments of 10hz, not sure what "slope" is, sorry. I am able to adjust decibels for each speaker also and distance. 

Edited by gooniebird63

39 minutes ago, geoff. said:

Ok, I’ll take the hit on this one...

What is “the sub crawl”?

Put the sub where you normally sit to listen.  Play some bass heavy music or movies.  Crawl around the room and listen at various places.  Put the sub where it sounds the best as you're crawling around.

25 minutes ago, jason str said:

If using the same subs you can just use the second best place you find for the second sub placement.

Appliance moving straps and two hurt backs. One reason I ordered the SVS isolators was to raise the subs off the floor enough to get the straps / foam protection (piano black finish) underneath.

• Moderators
On 1/2/2019 at 1:06 PM, gooniebird63 said:

I have the crossover set to 70hz, what am I missing?

I think you may be missing some bass from the Polks with the sub that low, what was your other sub set at.

I think your sub may not even really be in the punchy part of the music ?

Look where 70 falls on these charts

And Welcome Gooniebird

Bass-Frequency-Range.png

Frequency-chart.png

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 1/2/2019 at 3:21 PM, jason str said:

If you have not done the sub crawl you are shortchanging yourself.

I had no choice where it went, but I did do a pub crawl and a room crawl on a ship once, they were a little different but fun.

On 1/2/2019 at 5:13 PM, wuzzzer said:

Put the sub where it sounds the best as you're crawling around.

I had to settle on where it fit, no other choice. Mains and sub together are 17' wide, room is 24' wide, it had to go in the center. Never checked before, each one is the same width 68", strange how things work. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

With the crossover knob all the way to the right your sub was playing well into the punch range I would guess, I don't know what that knob goes to on your sub.  

Normally you set it a little above where your speakers will play as far as HZ, if you overlap alot it may sound funny, 2 speakers reproducing the same range.

What you're hearing it the Punch of the main speakers, or lack of it, the sub only takes over below 70 if that's where it's set.