WTB ---- ALK Crossovers for My La Scalas

pioneerhip

37 minutes ago, pioneerhip said:

Dropped the wire, replaced the cap. I'm underwhelmed... I think I am just after a different sound than what this combo of crossover / tweeter will offer. Not that there is anything wrong with it and I think it is performing as intended. It didn't do much for the sound that I can really tell. So I am looking at Dean or ALK crossovers. I wish someone close to me had some of Dean's crossovers so I could compare to the ALK crossovers a friend of mine has. Here is the after picture of moving the wire to tap 3. 

a-4500 crossover.jpg

my suggestion is to get the ALK's from your friend and put them in your speakers at your home and see what you think.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Budman said:

my suggestion is to get the ALK's from your friend and put them in your speakers at your home and see what you think.

That's what started this whole thing was hearing his ALK in my La Scalas. He has them back now of course and before I abandoned the Crites I already purchased I thought I would exhaust all options to make them to my liking.  

• Like 1

high end crossovers cost 3 times what you paid for yours. is that in your budget

He stated early on he's looking for a win win, so I say no. He's after a used price. He has also stated he had his friend's ALK's in his La Scalas. *face palm* If he liked the ALK's and had the money, this thread wouldn't exist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, baron167 said:

He stated early on he's looking for a win win, so I say no. He's after a used price. He has also stated he had his friend's ALK's in his La Scalas. *face palm* If he liked the ALK's and had the money, this thread wouldn't exist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what you call Deductive Reasoning.

As you were.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Deang said:

3dB additional drop in the midrange should be pretty audible - no?

Next step would be changing the tweeter section to AA configuration. 

What tweeter are you using?

Currently using the CT-120 tweeter. I am going to hook the original Al crossover back up and listen to the difference in the midrange. I am open to suggestions on the tweeter section and the AA configuration. 

Posting with permission from the seller- Help me figure these out. Can the mids be adjusted on these? Would changing the Dayton caps and the KimberKaps be step one to using these? Does anyone have any insight on the ALK Jr? What would I be missing buying these vs. saving for a new set of crossovers? Thanks for the replies so far!

ALK JR1.jpeg

ALK Jr2.jpeg

ALK Jr.jpeg

And that is why I told you to talk to Dean. This a a handover Jr., where we used an outboard attenuator and woofer section, AND this sectional Jr.

if you don’t want to do any research with the Shell answer man, don’t want to buy new, and you want attenuators, you can wait for a complete ALK with attenuators package.

I threw this pair out there, figuring someone would work with Dean on the woofer/attenuators satellite boards build, and get in it for a lower price then all new.

6 minutes ago, sheltie dave said:

And that is why I told you to talk to Dean. This a a handover Jr., where we used an outboard attenuator and woofer section, AND this sectional Jr.

if you don’t want to do any research with the Shell answer man, don’t want to buy new, and you want attenuators, you can wait for a complete ALK with attenuators package.

I threw this pair out there, figuring someone would work with Dean on the woofer/attenuators satellite boards build, and get in it for a lower price then all new.

Not sure why the backlash over the post... I didn't contact Dean directly because he is running a business and I didn't want to bother him with the crossovers you are selling that you said Al or Dean built. I am sure Dean would have gladly answered but I didn't want to waste his time. I am not sure why you wouldn't mention all of this info when we were texting. Seems like you already knew the answers...

Here is your text you sent:

Thomas, these were built by either Al or Dean. I bought them from a friend of a friend in Columbia, mo who never used them. I used them for two days and then got a trade for the ALK extreme slopes and boxed these.

Post the photos and Dean/Al/others can better answer your questions than I.

At the time these were built, Dayton's and KimberKaps were a solid favorite.

Now, just like then, there are way more expensive, and way cheaper parts.

These sounded quite clear and nice. The auto former has another tap, but I don't know if it would be attenuators. Dean is the guru.

What did I miss?