When does "X" become an addiction ?

joessportster

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

So...I answered your question.  My question to you is where were you during the early to mid 80's?  And when do you think weed was made illegal?

You're right.  I was in high school when ecstasy came on the scene.  Never tried it.  But, yeah, it was legal because it was made from substances that were not on the list of illicit substances in the Penal Code.  Word got out fast enough, and it was outlawed (as you know).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, T2K said:

That may be true. After ingesting the ingester becomes the impacter, not the drug.

Keith

That is not true. The drug remains the driving factor and not the individual. Get the individual clean and not using then that problem goes away. I have attended a good number of NA meetings with addict friends and this would seem to be how this works. Alanon meetings are a very good place for family or friends of users to help them to understand the situation. 12 step programs have an impressive track record for success.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moray james said:

That is not true. The drug remains the driving factor and not the individual. Get the individual clean and not using then that problem goes away. I have attended a good number of NA meetings with addict friends and this would seem to be how this works. Alanon meetings are a very good place for family or friends of users to help them to understand the situation. 12 step programs have an impressive track record for success.

OK, I'll play. Using your words, "Get the individual clean and not using then that problem goes away". Had the user never used in the first place the 'problem' would never have existed.

Keith

Part of the Opioid epidemic problem is being fueled by doctors prescribing these meds to patients who have sustained a painful injury of some kind.  They are given these drugs such as Oxycodone, only to find they have become addicted to it once the prescription runs out.  Soon they start looking for more on the open market.  Also, according  to the story on these pills, the drug companies knew full well how addictive these drugs are and how the same dose stops working after a short time, and you have to take more to get any effect.      

11 hours ago, T2K said:

OK, I'll play. Using your words, "Get the individual clean and not using then that problem goes away". Had the user never used in the first place the 'problem' would never have existed.

Keith

if you never caught a cold you would not have to buy Kleenex to blow your nose. You are simply being argumentative. I don't have a problem playing but drug addiction destroys lives and families. Even smart clever people like you become addicted to drugs. Addiction impacts all social and intellectual situations and ages. A friends young daughter just gave birth to a fentanyl addicted baby I suppose you figure the baby could have avoided that by not being conceived? That childs probability of becoming an addict later in life just went supernova so far as his odds go compared to the general population. I don't find this sort of play amusing or productive so I am out of here as I have made my point. I don't care what you have to say about this anymore. Drugs lead to lies institutions and death plain and simple, to all those in a 12 step program remember it's Just For Today and to Keep Coming Back.

I have a friend in TN who uses cbd oil. He has used less over the years and had less pain for his condition.

Joe... best of luck to you. I'm approaching 70 and have joint pain. A few years ago started taking glucosamine. It's like taking vitamins... can't really tell I'm taking it but if I stop for a few days there is more pain. I use turmeric in lots of my food (the active ingredient- curcumin, would be better but the cost would go up). We get the turmeric at an Indian grocery. Plus lots of fruits and veggies. Cheaper there than the regular chain groceries.

Also take fish oil, even though we consume a fair mount of ocean fish.

Doesn't answer the addiction question but may be a piece of the puzzle to help manage the different kinds of pain you may have.

Bruce

• Like 3

LSD has been being used along with other hallucinogens as therapy to treat alcohol and other addictions to much success.

Microdosing by housewives is being praised for the effects upon their well being. Mind you, original 25 formula, nothing less.

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 6:06 PM, T2K said:

Keith

And, what is to keep history repeating itself..

Just today had someone ask me about medical marijuana. Just gave them an anecdotal from an old friend from long ago who getting relief from said medication after lower back surgery, is happy versus alternative, read narcotic options. Not all I suppose but, certainly some are finally having an alternative to the status quo. Speaking specifically to the THC MM in his case. Synthesized and vaporized with only one to 2 hits per day Without the side effects, people are coming into a new era where local governance are listening and benefitting from the revenue others have been accruing on a relatively large scale and growing...YMMV