Upgrading Center Channel to RC-62ii, bad idea? (Curent: F2s & C2 Synergy)

GreggyVT

I can get the RC-62ii from Frys for $180, and was looking to upgrade my current center Synergy C2. My frontstage is the F2s. Surrounds are RS 42s (side) and B3s (rear).

I've read about timbre matching, and am worried. I've also been reading "get the best center for the money" since it does most of the dialogue and your sound (though percentages people have noted going through the center have varied from 70-90% of your sound).

What do you guys think? I think the 62 will be an excellent sounding speaker, but I don't want to upset my frontstage. I'll be pairing with either an Onkyo NR-676 receiver (2017 model) or a 10 year old Pioneer Elite SC-05. I just purchased the 676 to "upgrade" to 4k and atmos. All thoughts appreciated.

This is exactly how the upgrade path begins..

I am sure there will be differing opinions here but I wouldn’t hesitate on replacing a C2 with a RC-62 iI. The 62 is in a different league than the C2 and I have experience with both, albeit, only the C2 very briefly.

The modern Onkyo shouldn’t have a problem getting the front 3 speakers to play nicely together so I wouldn’t get too caught up on the timber matching talk. With all of that said, having your front 3 speakers matching is ideal but stands/budgets rarely allow this to occur. 

I would only take my recommended  path if you are willing to upgrade the towers to something like RF-62 ii down the road. I think the difference in sound between the C2 and the 62 will start you down the VERY slippery slope of upgradeitis. 

The center speaker and subwoofers are areas that can make the biggest improvements, if you make good use of the additional money you are willing to invest. 

Oh, I started with Klipsch C2/F3 combo and now I have the Ultra 2 system in 7.2 configuration. Like I said, the slope is slippery..

Welcome to the madhouse! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GreggyVT said:

I've also been reading "get the best center for the money" since it does most of the dialogue and your sound (though percentages people have noted going through the center have varied from 70-90% of your sound).

I am a big fan of get the best center for the money.  I throw out the truism "TV/movies are 90% dialog and 90% of the dialog comes out of the center channel."  Those numbers are made up but I think they would be close to true and at the very least illustrates my philosophy to build great sound from the inside out, which starts with the center.

+++

I recently picked up some Reference Premier RP-600M bookshelf speakers currently running in the mancave. These are some nice but smallish speakers with 6.5" woofers.  The center speaker is an RC-64 III.  The RC-64 III is much stronger than the RP bookshelf speakers and timbre matching has not been an issue.

My personal story doesn't prove anything but to my mind it reinforces the notion that a good center speaker always helps the sound no matter if the L/R doesn't perfectly match.

1846099597_RP-600Mon15inchsub_small.thumb.jpg.e8d14aedf464f0344ec93fb500e19fb5.jpg

• Like 1

I had the C3 speaker and F3s for a pretty good while and the dialogue was always lacking. I say a good while, I had them for 12 years and I was fairly satisfied. I didn't realize what I was missing until I replaced the F3s with Cornwall IIIs. The C3 continued to disappoint and It didn't take me long to realize I needed to replace the center channel. I replaced it with the RC-64 III and it was a major upgrade. Unfortunately for my wallet I'm now looking to upgrade the S3s with the newer Reference series surround speakers.

• Like 2

I bought the same center channel from Fry's for 161.00 and we are happy with the way it sounds with our Lascala II's,we are using a Pioneer Elite SC-61 with d3 power with great results.I would think you will like it once you get it setup in your system.

• Like 1