What's the best tweeter?

kevinmi

4 hours ago, kevinmi said:

I stayed with 400hz because I'm using Crites cast woofers and they seem to have no problem at 400.

In my many "travels" in speaker ownership, building, and experimentation, I have found the the lower the Xover point to a straight axis mid range, the better. Assuming you had a driver and horn that could do it (I have one almost identical to yours, so I know your can), I guarantee that you would prefer the lower crossover point in a A/B test every time.

21 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

In my many "travels" in speaker ownership, building, and experimentation, I have found the the lower the Xover point to a straight axis mid range, the better. Assuming you had a driver and horn that could do it (I have one almost identical to yours, so I know your can), I guarantee that you would prefer the lower crossover point in a A/B test every time.

This is uncharted territory for me. I always thought that the K-Horn bass bin was good to 400 hz, and the biggest problem was getting a midrange driver to go that low. Are you saying that if I crossed over at 300, the mid would be able to go that low, or that the crossover rolloff would sound better? I'm not doubting what you are saying, only trying to better understand it. I don't recall ever reading about a crossover at 300. 

Kevin,

I have a pair of Crites 120s you could try.  They’re eventually going into HIPs that are being turned into Super Heresys, so if you like them, you’d need to buy your own pair from Bob.

Perhaps we could combine a visit to check out your Fraziers.  I’d like to hear your impressive looking DIY horns.

I should warn you.  The 120s were made in Italy.  I also have a pair of round magnet K77s that were made In Buchanan, MI.

6 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Kevin,

I have a pair of Crites 120s you could try.  They’re eventually going into HIPs that are being turned into Super Heresys, so if you like them, you’d need to buy your own pair from Bob.

Perhaps we could combine a visit to check out your Fraziers.  I’d like to hear your impressive looking DIY horns.

I should warn you.  The 120s were made in Italy.  I also have a pair of round magnet K77s that were made In Buchanan, MI.

I have a pair of the original Crites tweeters, I think they were 125's. Wasn't that impressed with them. Are those 120's screw on or bolt on mount? I think I'm set up for screw on .Italian tweets would probably get along with my BMS mids. Sounds like a road trip might be in your future.

3 hours ago, kevinmi said:

I have a pair of the original Crites tweeters, I think they were 125's. Wasn't that impressed with them. Are those 120's screw on or bolt on mount? I think I'm set up for screw on .Italian tweets would probably get along with my BMS mids. Sounds like a road trip might be in your future.

The 120s are a drop-in replacements for K77s. They have a plastic copy of the K77s’ metal horn.  The photos show them sitting on top of my DIY Super Heresys.

1F60364E-9BCA-4398-A02C-86A900C02B1C.thumb.jpeg.e99ac4c0b1ba1d5c04067bf86704867d.jpeg1663340764_20181223_192451(Medium).thumb.jpg.a95f74fa5bf38e18615179726b6da9cb.jpg

2 hours ago, kevinmi said:

This is uncharted territory for me. I always thought that the K-Horn bass bin was good to 400 hz, and the biggest problem was getting a midrange driver to go that low. Are you saying that if I crossed over at 300, the mid would be able to go that low, or that the crossover rolloff would sound better? I'm not doubting what you are saying, only trying to better understand it. I don't recall ever reading about a crossover at 300. 

I have a JBL large format 2482 driver on a large Trachorn and it sounded great on top of my Jubilees. Also, had lots of SPL TD-1's (now out of business) and Tom Danley used a 300 Hz. Xover to the midrange drivers, and 1200 Hz. to the B&C DE-250 tweeters. Once you experience the superior detail of a 300 Hz. mid range, it's hard to go back to 400 or 500.

20 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I have a JBL large format 2482 driver on a large Trachorn and it sounded great on top of my Jubilees. Also, had lots of SPL TD-1's (now out of business) and Tom Danley used a 300 Hz. Xover to the midrange drivers, and 1200 Hz. to the B&C DE-250 tweeters. Once you experience the superior detail of a 300 Hz. mid range, it's hard to go back to 400 or 500.

When I get my new crossovers from Deang, I'll look into modifying my old 400/4500 universals for a 300 crossover point. I'll need your help in choosing which components to switch out

4 hours ago, kevinmi said:

When I get my new crossovers from Deang, I'll look into modifying my old 400/4500 universals for a 300 crossover point. I'll need your help in choosing which components to switch out

No Problem. I have a pretty good stock of caps and chokes. My Trachorn was designed with a 180 Hz. cutoff so it does 300 quite easily. Since you have a BMS driver, which is designed to go to 300, you should take advantage of it and not throttle it back needlessly.

32 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I'll let you handle the social calendar.

Love to have you guys drop by. The only problem right now is that my gall bladder has gone south and I'm in a lot of pain. I'm having it surgically removed on Feb 13. I'm still open before that, being on sick leave and all, but I might not be 100%. 

I'm working on getting the Frazier MK 7's up from the basement and hooked up- should be done this weekend. 

1 hour ago, kevinmi said:

Love to have you guys drop by. The only problem right now is that my gall bladder has gone south and I'm in a lot of pain. I'm having it surgically removed on Feb 13. I'm still open before that, being on sick leave and all, but I might not be 100%. 

I'm working on getting the Frazier MK 7's up from the basement and hooked up- should be done this weekend. 

Let Neal (DizRotus) know where and when, and I'll be there too.

On 1/31/2019 at 2:48 PM, kevinmi said:

Good luck with your surgery.  Mine basically quit working and was removed a few years ago.  You'll be sore for a while.

6 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Good luck with your surgery.  Mine basically quit working and was removed a few years ago.  You'll be sore for a while.

Best wishes regarding your surgery.  Don't pick up anything heavy, don't even have heavy thoughts.  Years ago I picked up a 30# toddler after I was punctuated with a semicolon (partial sigmoid resection due to diverticulitis).  It was not pleasant.  Don't be moving those Fraziers around.  We'll take care of that.

• Klipsch Employees
On 1/30/2019 at 12:34 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

Really??