What's the best tweeter?

kevinmi

10 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

Really??

I have a preference for bigger STRAIGHT AXIS midrange horns, your K402 being the best I ever heard, and I have yet to try those old Phenolic JBL drivers with them (they crap out at 4 Khz. though, which is no problem, necessitating a 3-way), but it's on the list. Yes these did not sound as good as TADs with PEQ on some recordings, but for a passive 3-way on Jubes, they were darn good and could have lived with them like that.

When I had the big Peavey horns (12" drivers with Phase Plug on 6" opening) on top of my MWM stack about 11 years ago, I was crossing them at 180 and 700 Hz. respectively (yes the polars didn't match and they were not perfect) but I really liked the detail and smoothness (even though the dispersion was too narrow for the rest of the stack), with simple passive networks. But it was a 7 foot tall "horn stack" in my basement, so I set out to lower the stack, so to speak.

I got 4 Community M4's to play with too, last year, which may get me down to about 200 Hz. without EQ. The B&C or BMS 1" drivers on a "mini me" K-402 like tweeter horn should take care of 1200 Hz. on up with a Yamaha or Xilica Active Xover.

Right now, I'm hearing things never heard before with Hypex Kit Amps and MEH horns with 300 Hz. Midrange Xover from another brilliant speaker designer in your league, Chief, with about a Dozen Klipsch products in the "lab downstairs" waiting to be "Superized" with Neo drivers.

But Yes, really, I prefer pulling the mids out of any folded bass horn and into a big straight axis mid at the lowest frequency practicable (is that a word??). We own our own soup, salt shaker, and taste buds!!

TigerWoodJubesWeb.jpg

On 1/5/2019 at 11:35 AM, Panelhead said:

Great looking speaker. I think Claude has done some testing on several compression drivers. 

Course this is best measuring in a certain horn. Have not seen all the ones tested. I have response curves for APT-50, K-77,and B&C DE-120. The 120 looked the best to my eyes. All three looked close except for high frequency roll off.

Have not seen the B&C DE-110, the Faital drivers, or Beyma response curves. The horn they are mounted on has a larger impact on response.

The B&C DE-10, DE-120, DE-110, in that order. All good but subtle differences in the curves, but I doubt anyone can hear FRACTIONAL decibel differences. Plus it's HIGHLY dependent on what horn you use. I tested all of them of DaveA's MAHL, big and small. Too much time and too many curves, plus a LOT of listening on top of Jubilees. You can't go wrong with any of them.

• 3 weeks later...