Great local FM stations

mr clean

CJRT Jazz FM 91.1 Toronto. Canada’s premier jazz station. Always on our FM radios when we used to live in the south. We listen most of the weekend up here via our Apple TV routed through our system. A great Saturday afternoon Latin Jazz programme is always a weekly highlight for us.

• Moderators

I don't know, it's been many years since I listened to FM, there use to be a great one in NO many years ago, now to many commercials and music in between them. I even took down my 20' antenna, mostly because I was scared of lightning taking out everything.

Related to the PBS, the PBR stations are for the most part commercial free, which is a killer for other FM stations seeking to fund themselves with money. Of course, there is fundraising at times throughout the year, like as with PBS yet, the classical, jazz, and

other music tends to make up for it, at least for me. Have heard some attempts of a couple stations to play sides of rock lp's and

just all out non repetitive songs which increase their popularity, at least with me.

(BTW, not referring to digital broadcast but prefer giving my analog tuner something to do)

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, billybob said:

Have heard some attempts of a couple stations to play sides of rock lp's and

just all out non repetitive songs which increase their popularity, at least with me.

That's what the station I liked many years ago, they called it Classic Album, they would play half an album then talk about it a little and play the other half. They would also play music blocks a couple hours long with no breaks plus they would announce beforehand what the album would be, I use to record them on RTR.

The station was WRNO, The Rock of New Orleans, but not all rock they did some Jazz at times, they were I think the first FM station in town.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, dtel said:

That's what the station I liked many years ago, they called it Classic Album, they would play half an album then talk about it a little and play the other half. They would also play music blocks a couple hours long with no breaks plus they would announce beforehand what the album would be, I use to record them on RTR.

The station was WRNO, The Rock of New Orleans, but not all rock they did some Jazz at times, they were I think the first FM station in town.

Exactly...the good ole days...thanks!

Was even good AM stations in the day like Little Rock. Strong so as to be heard down here at night. Even our little station had DJ's that played by request...but I digress :)

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, billybob said:

Even our little station had DJ's that played by request...but I digress :)

Your right I forgot about that part.

I remember when FM first started everyone was shocked at how good it sounded and that it didn't cutout when you went behind a building or in a tunnel, a big jump in quality. 

• Like 1