Inexpensive Integrated Amplifiers

Deang

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dean,

Temple Audio Bantam Gold from England. 25 watts per channel (4 ohms). Cost - 200 English pounds and they will ship overseas.

This is my current favourite desk top amplifier.  It will run my Heresy lll's in a large room beautifully and the amplifier will make nice sounds with my Stirling LS3/5a's in smaller listening spaces.

Edwin.

goldfrontfull3.jpg

goldbackfull3.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Do you know which chip they use?  I've a mind to buy one and put it up against my TPA3250 which is a current favorite.

NVM, just found their (impressive and comprehensive) spec sheet. " At the heart of the Bantam Gold is the ADAU1592 audio amplification chip from Analog Devices. This IC generates a differential PDM pulse train from the analog input. "

http://templeaudio.net/downloads/Bantam_Gold_Spec_2014.pdf

In addition to the Topping TP60 and TPA3250 amps I previously recommended, the Allo Volt+ D amp should also be considered.

Thus far, I have only listened to it using the stock 19vdc power brick. 

Speakers are Tangent RS2. I use the Schiit Saga as a preamp.

Clear, clean, decent image size. Maybe not the last word in excitement.

All in all a very competent performer.

Just my opinion. :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Should try the Dayton DTA-Pro.  As with all the class D amplification I have had, it does need to be on for a day or two to settle down.     

It was eye-opening how bad some of these sounded right out of the box.  The first couple of times I thought I had a bad unit.  Took only a few minutes for them to get right though IME.  Maybe still better after a day or two but those improvements were more subtle.

6 hours ago, TubeHiFiNut said:

the Allo Volt+ D amp should also be considered.

People swear by those!  Definitely on my list.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Should try the Dayton DTA-Pro.  As with all the class D amplification I have had, it does need to be on for a day or two to settle down.     

Either I just got lucky or I don't know enough, but my NAD (my first) class D fires right up settled down.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Allen-Organ-100-Watt-Amplifier-Model-S-100-Working/382821365699?hash=item5921ee77c3:g:CgIAAOSwoF5cfYla

100w RMS mono Allen organ amps.  I’ve been playing around with them, and they work remarkably well!  One each dedicated for the KP-3002’s produce more SPL than I can stand.  Pre-outs feed each channel perfectly from an Onkyo 7.1.  

I’ve also tried a 3.5mm to RCA splitter cable from an iPhone as the preamp with great success.

I know it sounds idiotic, but there it is.

23 minutes ago, Oicu812 said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Allen-Organ-100-Watt-Amplifier-Model-S-100-Working/382821365699?hash=item5921ee77c3:g:CgIAAOSwoF5cfYla

100w RMS mono Allen organ amps.  I’ve been playing around with them, and they work remarkably well!  One each dedicated for the KP-3002’s produce more SPL than I can stand.  Pre-outs feed each channel perfectly from an Onkyo 7.1.  

I’ve also tried a 3.5mm to RCA splitter cable from an iPhone as the preamp with great success.

I know it sounds idiotic, but there it is.

That one looks fun though.  I really wanna build a few.

6 hours ago, Pats3of4 said:

Im really disappointed with the current crop of avr’s.  So tempted to just go stereo with everything.

I really like the Onkyo 7.1.  I have the 3002’s front stereo, Super Heresy for the sides, and KP-101’s for the rears.  No center channel yet, looking for something decent. The organ amps have gain control knobs, so it’s easy to match power levels.

I watch movies in 6.1 (for now), and play music through alll speakers.  I have it all r running from my PC.

10 hours ago, glens said:

Either I just got lucky or I don't know enough, but my NAD (my first) class D fires right up settled down.

I always recognize cold vs warm.  Not sure why.  All my other Class D seem the same.  They might not sound bad out of the box but after a day or two, the sound is much more relaxed.

9 hours ago, Pats3of4 said:

Im really disappointed with the current crop of avr’s.  So tempted to just go stereo with everything.

Got to agree.  They are definitely shooting for features to wow the folks that have to talk their gear up.  Not selling on comparable sound  It would take too long to develop a product in this day and age which a year is really only three months.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/16/2019 at 8:52 PM, Oicu812 said:

100w RMS mono Allen organ amps.  I’ve been playing around with them, and they work remarkably well!  One each dedicated for the KP-3002’s produce more SPL than I can stand.

You're the first person I've noticed commenting on these amps (in a positive vein)! I have some experience with them as organ amps, having had to replace a couple in an old church organ. But I was poking around for anyone who had used them in a hifi setting, and wasn't getting anything conclusive, but what little I did find was mostly negative on the idea. Can you say a bit more about whether the sound was any good, or smooth, or flat response, besides just being loud? I figure a hundred watts is a hundred watts, and that's gonna put out some serious sound from any efficient speaker. But are they nice watts? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1