Inexpensive Integrated Amplifiers

Deang

On 7/11/2020 at 8:36 PM, k9gardner said:

You're the first person I've noticed commenting on these amps (in a positive vein)! I have some experience with them as organ amps, having had to replace a couple in an old church organ. But I was poking around for anyone who had used them in a hifi setting, and wasn't getting anything conclusive, but what little I did find was mostly negative on the idea. Can you say a bit more about whether the sound was any good, or smooth, or flat response, besides just being loud? I figure a hundred watts is a hundred watts, and that's gonna put out some serious sound from any efficient speaker. But are they nice watts? 

The organ amps actually do sound very good.  "Nice watts", as you put it.  As it stands now, my office 7.2 surround system uses four of these amps, driving two KPT-100's (doubled up on the center channel), and two KP-1000's (both back channels), and all four speakers sound fantastic.  I would call it a warm, rich sound.  The bass and mid bass / woofers are awesome sounding, even at very low wattage.  Every bit of the audio seems perfectly clear, no "mud" at all.  Using the "All Channels" setting takes both sides of the stereo feed, and puts them through the proper side.  Only the center channel plays both feeds, and the staging makes the music sound as if the band is in the center of the room, all around me (like I am on the stage, in the middle of the band).

I'm thinking of setting up the guest room / parents bedroom with a setup of KG4's, utilizing the last two amps in the collection.  Vinyl, CD, and Blu-Ray.  It's actually my plan to have a separate listening room with a stereo setup (don't tell the Mrs.!). 

They sound very similar to tube amps that I've worked with in the past.  I've tried them with both with regular line levels and pre-amplified feeds.  They don't seem to care what you feed them.

If you can find a pair of them (and they seem to be very inexpensive on eBay), give it a shot.  I think you will be glad that you did.