"stiff" woofer

jwc

So a question for the group here.

I have a bass cabinet loaded with 4 woofers each with different chamber.  Bought used.

All 4 woofers have an impedance check with multimeter about 6.7 ohms.  All 4 woofers same model.

I can play music into all 4 separately with no distortion to my ear.

However, one of them lacks bass in 200Hz and below.  The music is there but lacks "bump or thump".  You can see it on a RTA.

I was inspecting the woofers up close and they are all tight sealed.  No cracks or visible flaws for that matter.

The one that lacks the low end is "stiff".  You know how you can tap on a woofer cone and it has that typical "thump" sound and the cone moves a little.  Well the one woofer makes no noise and the cone is rigid.  Almost like it got reconed or something and not broken in or a defective cone.

Any thoughts on this?  Should I run some low end material through it over night?  Or is there a way to check for some other defectiveness?  It would be a pain to uninstall the woofer; so I'm trying to see what I can do while installed.

jc  

Our buddy Terry Cruse sent me a K-33 out of a Cornwall to see why it did not work many years ago.  He had just reached (I believe) 124 db and suddenly the woofer was just silent.  When I cut into it found the voice coil had come out of the magnet gap and then just impacted back into the top of the magnet assembly crushing it in the process.  Might be what happened to yours.

Bob Crites

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know if my buddy's woofer was having the same issue as yours.  But he didn't even know he had an issue until he played some bass heavy material at high volumes, heard a pop, turn the system off in a panic, waited a few minutes, looked around turn the system back on and had twice as more low frequency out put (ok maybe not twice as much) but he called me right away asking me my thought.  I just figured something was frozen and he knocked it loose with the bass heavy material and cranking the volume.  Maybe give it a try, what else do you have to lose?