Please critique my speaker placement and setup.

Ryan0348

I’m just trying to still figure out all the internet streaming stuff. How to get the best sound. I have a Cambridge DacMagic 100 2 kp301 “same as Cornwall “? 2 kg5.5 inverted and on top of 301s. A Sansui g7700 receiver. Cheap rca cables but decent speaker wire I got from work it’s twisted double shelded 16gauge oxygen free low voltage signal wire. Just wanted some one else’s ideas on speaker placement and maybe some more electronics to help the sound. Like do I need a external clock for streaming to help with better stereo/image or does the DacMagic have a good enough one. Does the router brand matter or what WiFi dongle I have. I use Deezer mostly. Grateful Dead music and jazz. I know most of the recordings arnt that great. Any help would be awsome. Thanks 

DDA4BF8F-F42F-4CE1-90D7-71C67AEA12F1.jpeg

• Like 1

The eq is turned off. I don’t use it much anymore except when I’m streaming movies on sites that have bad audio. The kg5.5 are nowhere near as efficient as the 301s. They don’t add much to the sound when I have them on. Maybe a lil more fuller? Not sure how to explain it. 

WiFi router to laptop dongle then laptop usb 3.0 port the blue one? I downloaded the 3.0 USB port software from Cambridge so it would stream at 192 24 bit. Then from the dac to the receiver with cheap rca cables I had laying around I know I need to some better ones. Then just audio input on the receiver. I do have good WiFi reception I can stream us movies with no pauses. I’m just kinda lost in the whole music player software you can buy like roon or audiovarna to help with the audios path through the laptop. When I added the dac it did get rid of a lot of background noise. Does isolating the receiver with rollerblocks help. What about actually pulling out the transformer and isolating it by itself outside the machine. 

I am no expert here but I can offer my modest experience.

I would try with better interconnect cables from DacMagic to the receiver.

I once got the cheap Cambridge Audio :-)  interconnects with my CD player. Wondered if I made a mistake with that player until I changed interconnects (just better, not some expensive stuff). Much better sound after that.

• Thanks 1

id take the kg 5.5's off the 301's. if you have room put them in the rear corners of the room.  stacked like that looks cool but kills the sound, lots of the mid-bass comes out of the woofers & with them up that high you arent getting all the sound at ear level, just bounces & reflects around the high area of the room.  

Don't worry about fancy cables, roller blocks, or moving transformers.  As suggested above, just get decent quality, reasonably priced, RCA and USB cables.  I've never used Deezer, but make sure it is configured to stream the best quality - looks like they have a premium tier for CD quality streaming.  Your wifi is fine.  I'm sure your cables are fine.  Sounds like you have your DAC setup via USB properly.  Your DAC is a good budget DAC for the money according to reviews.  Are all drivers working properly on your 301's?

Are you playing Deezer via your browser or the app on your laptop?  I ask because if you have a CD quality source (44.1/16) coming in from Deezer, is a CD quality stream being sent over the USB to your DAC?  I know the Cambridge driver allows for up to 192/24 via USB, but you may or may not want to do that.  The lights on the front of the DAC will tell you what stream-rate it is receiving.

Roon or Audirvana don't support Deezer AFAIK.

Other than that, yes clean things up and get rid of those top speakers.  Wouldn't kill the cat to skip a meal or two either, but this also applies to me 😉

5 hours ago, pbphoto said:

Don't worry about fancy cables, roller blocks, or moving transformers.  As suggested above, just get decent quality, reasonably priced, RCA and USB cables.  I've never used Deezer, but make sure it is configured to stream the best quality - looks like they have a premium tier for CD quality streaming.  Your wifi is fine.  I'm sure your cables are fine.  Sounds like you have your DAC setup via USB properly.  Your DAC is a good budget DAC for the money according to reviews.  Are all drivers working properly on your 301's?

Are you playing Deezer via your browser or the app on your laptop?  I ask because if you have a CD quality source (44.1/16) coming in from Deezer, is a CD quality stream being sent over the USB to your DAC?  I know the Cambridge driver allows for up to 192/24 via USB, but you may or may not want to do that.  The lights on the front of the DAC will tell you what stream-rate it is receiving.

Roon or Audirvana don't support Deezer AFAIK.

Other than that, yes clean things up and get rid of those top speakers.  Wouldn't kill the cat to skip a meal or two either, but this also applies to me 😉

It’s streaming at 192/24 bit. I had to download the DacMagic usb 3.0 drive and then switch it from 16 to 24 bit 192. That took a lil bit of looking in the sound settings on the laptop. I had the usb on the 1.0 slot not the blue one for 3.0. That did make a lil difference. Deezer does stream at 1411 kbps it says its supposed to be at least. I paid for the HiFi desktop app. 

Yea the cat needs to skip a few meals. I’ve been looking at doing the diy rca cables the use the .999% silver 28 gauge wire along with Teflon 1/4” air line tubing for the dielectric cover. I got everything but the rca ends and silver wire. I’m a pipe fitter by trade so I can get whatever material tubing. Supposed to be comparable to some higher end rcas. I got 5$ Walmart’s right now. It was middle of the night gotta hook up this dac now thing lol 

Remove the top speakers.  If you have Dolby PL II or similar, you could always try sending derived channels to the top speakers after you move them to the rear of the room as @EpicKlipschFan suggested. 

At least tie down the TV with earthquake straps.

Do you have a couch or something going across the room so that there is a listening position that is dead center between the R & L speakers?  I assume there may be one in the camera position.

That old console radio looks like the one I grew up with in my parents' house!  

The cat looks well placed to me.  You have several elements of the good life there.  Casual disarray, music, art on the walls, a cat.

Yea I live in Iowa so no earthquakes lol mostly dead and company concert posters Me and my wife been to and Larry zack wildlife prints. I got a couch dead center of the listening position. Gonna order the MAHL 1 tweeter drop inns the guy on here builds with the machined aluminum horns